Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:46:28 AM EST
any one deal with this shop? 2 locations, lyons and downers grove.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:10:47 AM EST
I have never bought any guns from them because many years ago when I was buying a pistol, their prices were much higher than any other gun shop. At that time I think they only had the store in Lyons. The place may even be owned by someone else now.

I used to use the indoor pistol range at the Lyons store. Now, the EPA made them clean up the lead and you can no longer use lead ammo. They sell real crappy steel reloads that leave your gun very dirty. They will look through your range bag to make sure you don't have any lead. If they find lead ammo, they confiscate it until you leave.

No more Midwest Guns for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:58:58 AM EST
WAS A GOOD STORE BACK IN THE 80'S, N0THING MUCH ANYMORE. GO OUT TO "THE GUN SHOP" ACROSS THE STREET FROM MEGA SPORTS OUT IN PLAINFIELD IF YOU CAN GET AL TO SHUT UP FOR 5 MINUTES
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:03:48 PM EST
Actullay "The Gun Store" moved a little further down the street from Mega Sports.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:13:32 PM EST
do you have address/phone number on "the gun store" ? thanks !
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:41:06 PM EST
Carefull of "The Gun Store". nothing against their prices or anything like that. I'm just weary of a store that would tell me to take a hacksaw to the front site of a AR15, because I wanted a true flattop. Their prices are good though, and if you can get what you want with no problem, then go ahead. And AL will talk forever, but he's a great guy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:20:53 PM EST
yeah i have bought guns from al for about 20 years. yeah i know they moved into a brand new spanking corner store. and they will deal on prices, just have to listen to al for half an hour. don't get him started on when he was in the navy, i think they were sailing ships with oars back then
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:43:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By IL_Shooter:
do you have address/phone number on "the gun store" ? thanks !

THE GUN SHOP
23241 W LINCOLN HWY, PLAINFIELD, IL 60544
(815) 439-4570

And I do agree on the above posts. Try to keep from Al from talking too much. I forgot what I was talking about a few times cause he sidetracked me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:27:32 AM EST
I bought a sweet used ruger mark II from midwest guns last night, decent people to work with. I had gone to The Gun shop but there mark II's were pricey.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:37:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 8:45:07 AM EST by drobs]
I bought my SAR1 at the one in Downers Grove (the non Crook County shop) also had an Ohio Rapid Fire FAL transfered there. Nice people good shop to deal with, usually have evil black rifles in stock.

Another good shop to find deals at is The Smokin Gun up in Waukegan. I think I've bought six guns from them in the last year. Their prices on used guns seem to be the best around. I believe the guy that kinda runs the place, John, buys from auctions and then sells them pretty cheaply.

Not too long ago I found a mint S&W model 25 45LC for $375.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:54:12 PM EST
I'd love to know who told you to take a hacksaw to that front sight blade. Considering I work at The Gun Shop, not store, I wouldnt be surprised if someone was joking with you. And Al doesnt even shut up for fellow employees by the way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:22:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 1:24:55 PM EST by tequilabob]

Originally Posted By MeanGun:
I'd love to know who told you to take a hacksaw to that front sight blade. Considering I work at The Gun Shop, not store, I wouldnt be surprised if someone was joking with you. And Al doesnt even shut up for fellow employees by the way.

hehehehehe i bet al talks in his sleep

a quarter says al told him. knowing his sense of humor
\
eta welcome to arfom mean, does that mean we get special prices for arfcom "brothers"?

how much do you guys charge for ffl transfers??
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:19:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By MeanGun:

The guy wasn't joking with me, I would know, I have dealt with the gun shop for many years. I have always had badluck there from the owner and several others. A good friend of mine worked there when most of these happened and he knew they weren't joking. I will purchase accesories from there, but I will never purchase a weapon there. I'm not saying for anyone else not to shop there, I'm just letting everyone here know that there are bad apples in every barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:44:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 5:46:04 PM EST by ThunderStick]
I have made several purchases at the Midwest Sporting Goods shop in Downers Grove. They will deal on price, and the folks are friendly. I am getting my new DSA FAL folding stock para through them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:25:16 AM EST
Has anyone done an FFL transfer through the Midwest Lyons store?
If so, what did they charge? Will they in fact transfer an AR15?
I'd like to get a Colt 6920, but from Gundealer here on the forum, but do not know who to use (Chicago area).

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:52:51 AM EST
Midwest transfers are way overpriced. They told that the transfer runs around $50-100 at the Lyons store. It depends if they have the gun you want transfered in stock.

Go here and punch in your zip code. You'll find better deals on transfers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/user/dealernetwork.asp
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:44:48 PM EST
Thanks Flak Jacket. that is agreat site, I'll start making some phone calls tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:10:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 6:11:03 PM EST by drobs]
Check out the Gun Doctor out in Roselle. They will transfer anything for $35 new, used, or whatever.

They have a website:

www.gundr.com

Also there is a gentleman on here that does ffl transfers very reasonably. I'll see if I can't have him send you an email.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:43:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 7:44:52 PM EST by jal777]
These people did a transfer for me a year ago for $27.00

Libertas Arms
815-254-2724

located in plainfield
Top Top