[#1]
Ouch.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch.  No thanks.
View Quote

Man, I'd buy in a heartbeat if it were to be built in north Denver!

I've applied for a few gun range locations, I've never received a call or email for any of them, for over 3 years now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've applied for a few gun range locations, I've never received a call or email for any of them, for over 3 years now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ouch.  No thanks.

Unless you stayed up contacting them, hearing back is not likely, considering the average wait time on the membership list.  Even in bad economic times we make sure our membership is paid. Yes it's an outdoor range, but well worth the $150 annual dues. Oh to have it back @ $50

What you're seeing the last few years are gun clubs doing it the right way to ensure cash flow. They operate like a health club. This way  even if not used you still pay your monthly fees.
The cost of an indoor range, membership wise, is extremely high. Unfortunately so is the start up investment. When we looked in to opening an indoor range in NoCo 20 yrs ago. The initial investment was $1.5mil before opening the doors.
As open space becomes less useful and drive times for such span 2 hours round trip, the indoor scenario will eventually become the mode. Hopefully with less of a hit to the wallet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn. Are those costs in line with others in the area?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn. Are those costs in line with others in the area?
View Quote

Actually, yes they are.  Whistling Pines Gun Club's current rates are in the same ballpark.  WPGC is building a second indoor range on the west side, near Garden of the Gods Road, IIRC.  It will have some 100 yd rifle lanes as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up rates again to help pay for the new location.  I'm a charter member there, but if rates keep going up I may quit them.  When they opened they had great prices on guns and ammunition, that's no longer the case.

You can see WPGC's rates here:

http://www.whistlingpinesgunclub.com/index.php/membership/

ETA: Hmmm, WPGC is actually a bit more expensive than Magnum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, screw the memberships. Whistling Pines as Magnum are stupid expensive. How about building ranges like dragon mans where its pay to shoot when you want to shoot instead of these retarded people who want to charge what these two places are?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
well shit. I'm really missing pawnee right about now
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up rates again to help pay for the new location.  I'm a charter member there, but if rates keep going up I may quit them.  
View Quote

Spoke with the owner.  Rates will not be going up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about Magnum, but WPGC sometimes has "transfer" memberships posted on the bulletin board in the front entrance.  For a total cost of less than the one-time new member cost, you pick up the membership from someone who doesn't want theirs anymore.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#10]
These fees and memberships will be a bargain as more and more public lands are closed to the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually go shooting twice a month.  I can shoot all day at Dragon Man's for $10 a visit.  It's outdoors, thus weather can be a factor.  All sorts of people shoot there, good and not so good--I've seen som real yahoos and dirtbags there.  Considering the initiation fee at WPGC, Magnum, etc. as a sunk cost, the cost of dues breaks down as ~$15 a visit; actually, as a charter member, my dues are slightly reduced compared to most.  For that, I get a nice facility, stable indoor climate, and no yahoos or dirtbags.  At Dragon Man's, most people use the 100 yd range, though there's also a 220 yd range on site.  Steel ammo is okay.  AT WPGC east, range is 25 yds, rifles are limited to two lanes, and steel ammo is not allowed for long guns.  As mentioned before, WPGC's west location will run out to 100 yds.  

The Cheyenne Mountain shooting complex is the alternative for now.  I've yet to try the place.  It sounds nice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
One other thing I forgot to mention--going to Dragon Man's or other outdoor ranges can be an all day affair, or at least several hours.  Going indoors is sorta like going bowling--you have a lane for an hour.  Get in, shoot, get out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So if Magnum can't get the funding together, what happens to everyone who buys their membership?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top