Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
In the big 5 add in sunday paper they have a m44 russian 7.62x54 for $79.99
and a yugoslavian 8mm bolt action rifle 5 round staggered column stiaght bolt mauser action ( reconditioned). $139.99
can some one tell if there is any reason way i should not buy one of each.
I dont know anything about the rifles but the seem like a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I dont know anything about the rifles but the seem like a good deal.

I don't see how both parts of that sentence could be true at the same time.  

The prices aren't bad - pretty comparable to what you'd see from AIM/SOG, etc.  

If you want more information on the specific rifles, ask in the C&R forum of the armory boards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]

I guess I should have said I dont no much about the rifles but they dont seem to cost to much$$$$$.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess I should have said I dont no much about the rifles but they dont seem to cost to much$$$$$.

You really need to take a good careful look at these rifle before you lay down your hard earned money for them.

Quite a few of the more recent Mosins imported have counterbored barrels.  There was some sort of damage to the muzzle area of the barrel, so they just drill out the rifling a few from the muzzle....it is very apparent when you get some light down the bore to look at the rifling.  I have heard of a few Mausers from various countries being the same.

Also remember these rifles are late 19th and early 20 century technology.  They are in no way as refined as rifles are today.  It might also be a good idea to have a gunsmith check them out before firing.

mm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely both rifles, since they're happening at the same time as other surplus distributors are getting them, have been rearsenaled (headspaced/checked) by their Russian Importers/exporters.  Same goes for the Yugos.  

Both are great guns.  Both 8mm and 7.62x54r are plentiful and cheap and not hard to find accurate (Yugo 7.62x54r 80's and 8mm 70's production are considered close to match grade).

The Yugo Mauser is probably going to give you tighter groups.  

The M44 is a more simple weapon, easier to work on and has a perm-attached bayonet (although you can remove it).  

They both kick like mules.  Both are reliable as any rifle could be.  

It's up to you, you won't go wrong with either, you'll just save a little more with the M44 but as the saying goes, you pay for what you get.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the dies for cheap if you need.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
8mm is addictive.  Get the Yugo.  Dirt-cheap ammo that has the wallop of a .30-06.  Pretty accurate as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
8mm is addictive.  Get the Yugo.  Dirt-cheap ammo that has the wallop of a .30-06.  Pretty accurate as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I just want to thank everyone for there input I think i am going to get the 8mm.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top