Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/3/2008 2:00:02 PM EST
With the rising gas costs and my unquenchable desire for a motorcycle i am now on the lookout. I am looking for anything above a 250 sports bike preferably after 2000. I would REALLY appreciate any messages about local deals or friends getting ride of their bikes. This will be my first bike so any tips would be good to.( I have ridden a 250 before and it wasnt fast enough for me)

If this should go in cars and bike section please move but i put it here to maybe get some local deals or advices where to buy or look.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:07:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:19:07 PM EST
First bike? Have you taken a safety course? It's a damn good idea, and might get you a discount on your insurance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:03:02 PM EST
i am gonna sign up for a class as soon as a move, Going to take some classes at WSU and once i get settled start looking full throttle for a bike.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:05 PM EST
Get a good set of leathers, you'll need them. Good strong gloves are also necessary. Don't skimp on the helmet, this is the most important accessory, other than good judgement. Hopefully you don't mind scars and run-ins with vehicles.

Do you have some shitbox car for when it snows? 'Cause when it did snow, and all I had was a bike, it sucked out loud.

There are a lot of old bikers, a lot of bold bikers, but not a lot of old bold bikers. Just ask Indian Larry.

Keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:39:57 AM EST
I'm an old, cold biker, does that count?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:03:32 AM EST
Gerbings makes heated clothing. I like their gloves.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:34:41 PM EST
not really a shit car , 2002 TL but yah i have one. If i go to a show how much should bring for all the required gear? and is it important to stick to some major brands?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:50:51 AM EST
I've been thinking about selling my '02 Suzuki SV650s, there's an ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:25:14 AM EST
I would really think hard about how much you want to ride a bike around Pullman. I went to WSU for four years (2000-2004) and I currently ride a bike for my commute between Spokane and Coeur d'Alene (Honda VFR800) and I REALLY wouldn't feel comfortable about using a bike to get around Pullman. Damn, people don't know how to drive there.

If you are getting a bike for riding around OUTSIDE of Pullman I'd look at something in the 500 cc range. Stay away from those 600 cc inline-4s. Those things are way too damn fast for an inexperienced rider.

Just my .02

Be safe.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:25:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By K2QB3:
I've been thinking about selling my '02 Suzuki SV650s, there's an ad in the EE.

This is a great bike for a new rider, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:21:18 AM EST
Name brand on the helmet, Shoei or some other comparable brand. Just think about what it protects.

On leather gear, sturdy stuff, doesn't have to be stylish or colorful. You'll pay more for style and name than function for some brands.

I survived 2 major and one minor bike wrecks with only minor stiches and no broken bones, due primarily to good gear. Each time I was hit was in the U-District in Seattle. Same idea as Pullman, lots of poor drivers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:45:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 1:45:29 PM EST by Justcallmezippo]
The thing is my price range is around 2-2.5 thousand. So a 500 sports bike is kinda out of the question. I have been looking on craigslist and have seen a couple for around that for a 250, mostly ninjas. I would love a 500 but dont think its feasible with my income now.. Unless someone spots one for me i couldnt find the Sv650 on the EE
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:19:42 PM EST
Just like for guns it is hard to make recommendations for bikes without really knowing someone's abilities. I will say that out of the people I have personally known who bought a 250cc motorcycle not one of them was happy with a 250 after one season.

That being said, I have also known people who should not have access to any motorized two wheel vehicle.

I suggest taking the class before you even buy something just to see what your comfort level is. There will also be experienced trainers there to give you their opinions.

Even if you wait another year to get something you won't outgrow too fast it might be better than getting something just to get something then having to sell it after a year to upgrade. Can you imagine why there are so many 250s for sale?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:09:00 PM EST
i was looking into something like a GS500 but in the early 2000s because of price but w/ fairings. Any ideas ?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:58:44 AM EST
Try Craigslist. M/C section. Put in your dollar limits, then see what all pops up. Go sit on a few near you. Some may even offer test rides. Just like a gun, it has to "fit" you. Comfortable handlebar height/angle, seat height. Ya wanna have your feet sit squarely on terra firma. Or, at least only a slight lean toward your single resting/support foot. With little or no experience, get something that isn't really fast. Believe me, it will be the neekid blonde in your closet until temptation makes you do something stoopid. Most sportbikes end up as parts with low miles. Many noobs end up pizza. Always underestimate your abilities. You'll live longer. Don't take this as a negative, just trying to be helpful. I've been riding since at least 1968. And I love it.
Top Top