Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/2/2005 4:26:18 AM EDT
I was in the US Army for 11 1/2 years active duty and spent 4 years in the reserves and currently work with the Marine Corps as a civilian contractor overseas. I will be going on vacation in Iowa in a couple weeks and I'm looking for any good dealers/shops in the Iowa area that have a good stock of AR's and accessories so I can add to my collection. Any help and contact info for good places to check out would be most appreciated. The owner of the shop I usually go to in Iowa Falls will be gone during the time I will be there on vacation, so I'm looking for other alternatives.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, Mike's is your best bet in that area.
He just started carrying Rock River, and has a few Armalites and Bushmasters.

Bromley's sucks, and the folks in Story City likely only have one or two ARs on the shelf.

If Mike will be closed, you will probably need to go to Des Moines or Waterloo.

Enjoy your stay, and good luck with the shopping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny usually has a few in stock.
The new Scheels at Jorden Creek Mall west of Des Moines doesn't carry "assult weapons".
Cazador2hippie.gif
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
yea the Sceels in Waterloo and Cederfalls don't carry "assult weapons" as well...   I'm gettin a Rental Car with unlimited miles, so I might have to pay a visit to some of the places in IL .  

Anouther question I have is where is the best area's to hunt Coyote?  I never saw any years ago when I hunted in the central Iowa area, but I've heard they are making a big come back in recent years due to the light winters.  I'll mostly be hanging out in the Hardin County area for the 4 days I'll be there, but I'd like to devote at least 1 day to doing some hunting.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Cedar Valley Outfiters in Marion
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I would try Gabe's there south of Williamsburg off I-80, it's 4 miles south of I-80 out in the country and you'll drive by it before you see the sign on your left side.  I just bought a couple of rifles from Mike and their family is real nice to deal with at guns shows or in their shop.  I believe their store (bottom of large brick home) are M-F 1-5:30 PM.  He's the Police Chief in Williamsburg so there's no pulling the wool over his eyes when it comes to firearms and laws.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, more places to fall back on...  Would you guys happen to have the addresses and phone #'s so I can look up specific instructions on www.mapquest.com in order to drive to the exact locations of each store.  I'll also be able to call them prior to stopping by to see if they have what I want so I don't wast my time on a 5 hr+ round trips.

Thanks for all the help..
Chris
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Gabe's Gun Shop is open T-F 1300-1530.  (319) 668-2477
2728 P Avenue
Williamsburg, IA 52361
5 miles S. of Exit 220 on Hwy 149 (it will be on your left)
This info is right off their business card I had in my wallet.  Mike and Sue Gabriel are the owners.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Mike's (used to be Beaupain's)  1-641-648-9258
23715 county highway D15
Iowa Falls 50126-8741

Ken's Gun Shop    1-315-453-2048
RR Shellsburg, Ia

Jacobsen's Gun Center  1-515-733-4838
612 Broad Street
Story City, Ia

Jim's Gun and Pawn    1-515-284-0350
2814 S.E. 14th
Des Moines, IA

Ken is not too far away from Iowa Falls. Heck of a nice guy, fair selection of firearms. Jim's gun and Pawn is a pretty good place to stop if you get to Des Moines.

Mike Beaupain is really your best bet, if you can catch him. The last couple of shows he has had a really good selection of ARs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
yea, I usually get a rifle or two from Mike every time I come back to the USA, but I guess he will be out of town during the time I will be there on this trip.  It's great when he's around because his shop it like 10 miles from my house.   Thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated...

Chris
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]
hey, you wouldn't have any e-mail addys for these shops would you?  Would be nice to see what they have prior to actually leaving Japan for the states so I can budget out my funds...
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Gabe's doesn't have a website or e-mail.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Mike's- [email protected]

Jacobson's- [email protected]

Don't have info on the other dealers.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
No, Scheels doesn't carry ARs or AKs...They do carry mini-14s and even the new M-14 SOCOM from springfield.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Nighthawk it's too early for you to be coming out of hibernation and posting on this board!  Seriously though it's good to see you posting.  So what exotic lands have you just came back from since you've been away so long?  We'll talk to you later and hopefully we can get people together later this year for an Iowegian "shoot"!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Man I hope the weather doesn't suck when I get there like it does now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Double Barrel Shooter Supply
422 E Erie ST
Missouri Valley, IA 51555
Phone: (712) 642-2335

They sell AR's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nighthawk it's too early for you to be coming out of hibernation and posting on this board!  Seriously though it's good to see you posting.  So what exotic lands have you just came back from since you've been away so long?  We'll talk to you later and hopefully we can get people together later this year for an Iowegian "shoot"!

Canada, Denver, Southern IL, (where I was in 24 inches of snow), Syndey Ohio, the usual  I'll be at the show sat, but as usual I'll probably miss you.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Broadway Gun
400 Broadway St, Waterloo, IA 50703
Phone: (319) 232-1167

He only takes appointments now as far as I know, but I called him awhile back and he had me in the store in 15 mins.  Good people to work with and pasionate about what they have.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Very cool, now we are getting with in a hr's drive...  Do you know what type of stuff he usually carries?  Any e-mail addresses?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
No email address no. What I can remember that is on his wall alone.   AR15 variants, AR10 variants, AK47's, Dragunovs, pretty much anything WWII including tommy, M1's, Carbines, blah blah blah and some othere variants I've never seen before so I have no idea what they are or called.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I tried to call the Broadway Gun shop, but he has his service set up to block all incoming calls that don't have caller Id and since I'm calling from overseas with the phone card I got told by the service to dial *82 then the number.  I tried that and got a voice message in a language I've never heard before. Being overseas for the last 13 years in a group of diffrent counties I've heard a lot of different languages and I'm thinking one of those 3rd world countries in Europe h[email protected] if they would like to contact me directly or if you would like to.  I'd be interested in used as well as new.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Chris
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, I think I'm set..  I picked up a Bushmaster M4A2 from Mike today.. well I didn't actually pick it up, but I called and paid for it with my credit card and my mom's picking it up for me so I'll have it while I'm in the USA to play with.. hug.gif   I know of a few internet stores that should love me now too.. he
Chris
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Technically it is being stored in her home and she is in posesion and has total control of it while I'm overseas and is the owner of it.   ((13 1/2 years strait overseas so far))  I would actually prefer that it is in her name so that she will take more responsibility to make sure they don't fall in to the wrong hands etc since I'm 1/2 way around the world.  They are stored in a gun safe, but there are a lot of teenagers and kids that come in to that house.  When I eventually move back to the states and it is physically in my possesion I can then do what ever is needed to get it registered in my name.  I will get with Mike to see if there is an issue with doing it this way and if it vilates the law I will go in and do the paperwork myself.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I see, so who has possesion and control of it doesn't matter..  It's who paid for it that they want to sign the form...   I'll make sure I take care of that while I'm back then...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Have your mother put some money down on it (layaway?) and then you can pay in full when you get back AND fill out the paperwork.  Shouldn't be any problem with her putting some money down on it, to at least hold it until you get back, if you're worried about them selling it before you get back.  Just a thought.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top