Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 1:07:43 PM EDT
is it legal for me to replace my standard stock with a collapsable stock in prk ? hinking.gif

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it measures 30" collapsed and is either not semi-auto or semi-auto with a fixed magazine, yes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
On what rifle, is my question back to you?

If it's an already registered assault weapon (AR-15, etc), yes, you can do it.  

If the rifle is not an already-registered assault weapon (such as an M1A) that would meet the assault weapon criteria by the addition of a telescoping stock, then no, you may not leagally do it.

Refer to the tacked thread at the top of the California web page.  I quote:

Next part of our AW law is the "feature" part :

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the firearm.(B) A thumbhole stock. (C) A folding or telescoping stock. (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher. (E) A flash suppressor. (F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(1) Is the designating feature in most of the law, if the rifle isn't semi-auto, centerfire, and accepts a detachable mag it does not fall under the law, unless it qualifies under (2) or (3)

However if it is semi-auto, centerfire, and accepts a detachable mag it may not have any of the features (A) - (F).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you kindly both for your replys & the references.
i forgot to state yes it is an ar15 and yes it is registered.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As long as it measures 30" collapsed and is either not semi-auto or semi-auto with a fixed magazine, yes.

I thought it was 26"?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is registered, no problem.  On a regstered AR-15 you can add as manu evil features as you want.  The minimum length for a centerfired detachable rifle is 30"

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

In your case, since it is registered, I don't think it applies, you may want to check on that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i think i need a pHD in pseudophryology to figure this one out . just kidding, have a great weekend. i'm outta here till monday, see ya.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top