Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 8:49:59 PM EDT
this question has probably been done to death but i never remembered. anyways, if i go on a hike in the Angeles National Forest is it legal to carry a pistol in my pack? i dont plan on carrying openly or anything, and i have no CCW. but i dont want to be unprepared if any two-legged predators are trying to attack me or my gf. if not, are there any alternatives?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
National forest - yes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
National forest - yes.

Open carry or CCW?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
open carry is legal.. ccw still requires a ccw.. UNLESS you are IN your camp.. your camp is considered your place of residence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
you won't be able to get to the gun in your pack if you are attacked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you won't be able to get to the gun in your pack if you are attacked.

same thing I told my pops when he's out huntin'.  what's the point of carrying a backup pistol when it's jammed into the bottom of ur pack

you should be okay in national forest, just holster it and don't cover it with ur shirt/jacket.  that way it won't spook fish/game wards or forest rangers when they approach you
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
this question has probably been done to death but i never remembered. anyways, if i go on a hike in the Angeles National Forest is it legal to carry a pistol in my pack? i dont plan on carrying openly or anything, and i have no CCW. but i dont want to be unprepared if any two-legged predators are trying to attack me or my gf. if not, are there any alternatives?

open carry is legal, concealed is not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys. in case i am asked, can someone tell me where i can find these rules. i like to be prepared for questioning
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I always open carry in NF and BLM just be sure there is not one in the pipe while your in your car.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thanks guys. in case i am asked, can someone tell me where i can find these rules. i like to be prepared for questioning

Don't take this wrong.

But if a NFS ranger calls you on open carry and you try to tell them it's legal per section so&so, even if you're correct, if they think it's not legal all the explaining in the world won't help at that point. Either they'll  call in for directions, or you'll settle it in court.

But, FWIW, every ranger I've ever delt with KNOWS that it is legal, and when it's legal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Anywhere it is legal to shoot it is legal to open carry.  I hunt the National Forrest all the time and always carry a handgun.  A National Park is different.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't take this wrong.

But if a NFS ranger calls you on open carry and you try to tell them it's legal per section so&so, even if you're correct, if they think it's not legal all the explaining in the world won't help at that point. Either they'll  call in for directions, or you'll settle it in court.

But, FWIW, every ranger I've ever delt with KNOWS that it is legal, and when it's legal.

Probably best to call the District office.  State Law says that when bonfide camping, fishing, etc it's legal but doesn't address hiking the way it does camping and fishing.  Plus the "shooting" areas in the Angeles are pretty much gone now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top