Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 7:37:54 AM EDT
Just saw on Fox news Alaska is getting the opportunity to vote on the 100% legalization of pot. Is this a good thing in Alaska in your opinion or do you feel it should remain illegal?????
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no use for stupid stoners.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
But I have less use for  stupid intrusive laws.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
True.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I could normally care less about what anyone else does with their life. The problem with POT or any other drug is that there is no way to tell how "HIGH" a person is. This poses a problem when a person is "stoned out of his mind" and crashes his vehicle into a Bus load of kids. Authorities have no way to gauge how much a person has had, Unlike alcohol where a simple breath test is administered.

Me thinks the legalization of marijuana would have many Ill- Effects.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
This happens every 4 years.  Personally I can't think of a reason that it should be legal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I could normally care less about what anyone else does with their life. The problem with POT or any other drug is that there is no way to tell how "HIGH" a person is. This poses a problem when a person is "stoned out of his mind" and crashes his vehicle into a Bus load of kids. Authorities have no way to gauge how much a person has had, Unlike alcohol where a simple breath test is administered.

Me thinks the legalization of marijuana would have many Ill- Effects.

On the other hand I don't think a mass influx of people that don't smoke pot will suddenly pick up a joint and start puffing if it becomes legal. The same idiot who whould drive stoned is the same idiot smoking dope when it is legal or illegal. They don't care about the laws anyway. The same responsible person smoking now in a responsible manner isn't going to all of a sudden start driving around stoned.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
wow i just voted, now its 50/50 lol  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
about 12 years ago it was decriminalized (the same thing the ballot initiative would do now)and the voters decided to criminalize it.  What has changed since then?  Nothing except people (interest groups) from outside the state working to get it decriminalized again so they can start a chain reaction to get the drug laws off the books.  What people don't realize is that Making it legal doesn't actually do that as it is still against federal law.  Another thing is that the people in this state voted to not have it be legal it wasn't big government that did it.  Another thing is every four years it is overwhelmingly defeated proving that the people up here don't want it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Well pot is currently LEGAL here NOW.  It was criminalized but that was overturned recently.  Federally speaking it's still illegal, but not by current state laws.

Personally, I think alcohol is far more destructive - I would rather have people stoned than drunk anyday.  Deaths and fatalities would plummet.

There can be made a test to measure THC content, that's not hard just expensive at least initially.  There is no cheap quick test for content percentage right now but one could be made.

Many, many people here already smoke and I don't see any widespread problems or at least nothing like alcohol incidents.  The same people smoke it whether it's illegal or not already.  I have found the people who have problems with drugs are those who had problems to begin with or are extremely weak willed and get lost in it.  Most people I know who smoke are constructive citizens that use it as a form of recreation like alcohol, some even have budgets for it - everything in moderation.

I'm a pretty big believer in personal freedom in private - what you do in your home is no ones business as long as you don't take it outside and effect others with it.  I don't need or want the laws, I want to be able to decide for myself just like helmet and seatbelts laws for me - I ALWAYS use both, but I don't want a law requiring it.

At the same time, anyone causing damage, injury, or crime due to drugs (including the drug alcohol), guns, or what have you should be held responsible and punished to the fullest extent.  Personal responsibility is the key, and that's what has declined over the decades.

I was watching a documentary about Amsterdam and pot and hash being legal over there.  The cops there say they don't have problems with the pot/hash houses, just the alcoholic bars.  There was a cop ARF member that also posted he would rather a driver be stoned than drunk as alcohol is far more physically debilitating.

No matter the outcome, I absolutely believe it should be legal for medical purposes.  The prescription drugs that are available and legal now are way stronger, I don't see why pot should be excluded simply for perceived moral reasons.

This subject has got to be one of the most tired subjects on the forums.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Howdy guys,
As we all know I am a police officer, who belives in personal freedoms and have stood to defend those rights for all.  
I have to live each and everyday with people who choose drugs and alcohol as a way of life.  Each and everyday I have to wear body armor, a firearm as well as may other items for my safety due to the drugs and alcohol in the communities that I live and work in.  
Some of you choose to jump through the hoops and carry a personal firearm, I have no choice in the matter.  
Both marijuane and alcohol are the problems in Alaska.  When a local here gives birth to their child and it tests possitive for THC/alcohol we all loose.  We all pay for several decades to help this child through life.  
I do not have to watch a tv show or anything else to know that both marijuana and alcohol are truble and can not be anything other then a long turm proble for us all.  
I as a peace officer in the great state of Alsaka would rather not have to deal with anyone that is either stoned or drunk, to me they are both the same.
We all know that there are about one hundred chimical compounds in marijuane and only the THC get someone high.  There are many available prescription drugs out there that can do anything that marijuana can and more.

No disrespect to any other posts, it is good to have a form that we can voice our views on.  It is also good to have others out there to shoot with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#11]
arcticbear

I agree with you 100%
Good Post
Chris
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well pot is currently LEGAL here NOW.  It was criminalized but that was overturned recently.  Federally speaking it's still illegal, but not by current state laws.

Personally, I think alcohol is far more destructive - I would rather have people stoned than drunk anyday.  Deaths and fatalities would plummet.

There can be made a test to measure THC content, that's not hard just expensive at least initially.  There is no cheap quick test for content percentage right now but one could be made.

Many, many people here already smoke and I don't see any widespread problems or at least nothing like alcohol incidents.  The same people smoke it whether it's illegal or not already.  I have found the people who have problems with drugs are those who had problems to begin with or are extremely weak willed and get lost in it.  Most people I know who smoke are constructive citizens that use it as a form of recreation like alcohol, some even have budgets for it - everything in moderation.

I'm a pretty big believer in personal freedom in private - what you do in your home is no ones business as long as you don't take it outside and effect others with it.  I don't need or want the laws, I want to be able to decide for myself just like helmet and seatbelts laws for me - I ALWAYS use both, but I don't want a law requiring it.

At the same time, anyone causing damage, injury, or crime due to drugs (including the drug alcohol), guns, or what have you should be held responsible and punished to the fullest extent.  Personal responsibility is the key, and that's what has declined over the decades.

I was watching a documentary about Amsterdam and pot and hash being legal over there.  The cops there say they don't have problems with the pot/hash houses, just the alcoholic bars.  There was a cop ARF member that also posted he would rather a driver be stoned than drunk as alcohol is far more physically debilitating.

No matter the outcome, I absolutely believe it should be legal for medical purposes.  The prescription drugs that are available and legal now are way stronger, I don't see why pot should be excluded simply for perceived moral reasons.

This subject has got to be one of the most tired subjects on the forums.

+1

I believe it should be legal - either way it doesn't affect me, I don't smoke it anymore... I have more important things in life now.

There's very little that this law would change. (keep in mind that only those 18+ will be allowed to have MJ and, you will also not see it on shelfs at Wal-Mart)
1) People who are responsible upstanding and productive citizens will no longer be punished.
A; They no longer need to be worried about having bad contact with a LEO - Unless they're high and operating a motorized vehicle, in a school zone, or state/government building.
B; Those people can now safely transport their "paraphernalia" and Marijuana to their family/friends homes to smoke together, without worry of being charged for possession of such for a simple broken taillight.
2) People who smoke Marijuana regardless of legality will still do as they've always done. Criminals don't obey laws.
A; You won't see a increase in smokers. Those who were "midnight tokers" will still be - they do have jobs and friendships to worry about.
B; The only people who would be likely to start smoking, would be among the elderly.
C;People who have cancer don't worry about the law, they're going to smoke whether it's legal or not... They're most likely going to die, so let it be a easier death.

Now how's that one go... "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have no use for stupid stoners.

That being said, the war on drugs is a waste of time and money.  Not to mention the infringement on civil rights.  I say if some pothead wants to sit in his house and keep it to himself, smoke away.  He gets in a car and drives on it, or does anything else to endanger other people then lock him up for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Every stoner I know is so paranoid (meow). They (meow) get so moody (meow), stressed (meow) out.
(meow) Just relax man (meow)... what? (meow)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I just voted, it's 63% to 37% right now.  

I wasn't going to write on this, but it strikes me that this is a very similar issue to gun control.  I certainly don't advocate drunk driving, but I don't approve of checkpoints where every car gets pulled over either.  I think the assualt weapon ban was stooopid, but I also think if you stick a gun in someones face illegally, you should go to jail.

Let's enforce the laws that keep our families safe, and lets dispense with looking over our neighbors fence and deciding what we do and don't approve of.  Its an old argument that anything can be used in a detrimental way.  I have a very nice and usefull framing hammer, that doesn't mean I want it pounded into my face.  Even so, I wouldn't try to control peoples access to hammers, but if you hurt someone with one, they should put you under the jail.

By the way, I've tried the stuff, and I can say truthfully that although I love beer, I have known many people that turn into unreasonable violent jerks when they drink.  And they almost always think they can "drive just fine".  The folks that I know who smoke, normally stay at home and keep it to themselves.

And from what I have heard about the sixties most of the folks my age wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the free love and pot!    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just voted, it's 63% to 37% right now.  

I wasn't going to write on this, but it strikes me that this is a very similar issue to gun control.  I certainly don't advocate drunk driving, but I don't approve of checkpoints where every car gets pulled over either.  I think the assualt weapon ban was stooopid, but I also think if you stick a gun in someones face illegally, you should go to jail.

Let's enforce the laws that keep our families safe, and lets dispense with looking over our neighbors fence and deciding what we do and don't approve of.  Its an old argument that anything can be used in a detrimental way.  I have a very nice and usefull framing hammer, that doesn't mean I want it pounded into my face.  Even so, I wouldn't try to control peoples access to hammers, but if you hurt someone with one, they should put you under the jail.

By the way, I've tried the stuff, and I can say truthfully that although I love beer, I have known many people that turn into unreasonable violent jerks when they drink.  And they almost always think they can "drive just fine".  The folks that I know who smoke, normally stay at home and keep it to themselves.

And from what I have heard about the sixties most of the folks my age wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the free love and pot!    

+1

Better than I could have said, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Again if only you could see the whole piture of what you are talking about.  For everyone that you thinks stays at home and chills out, I can show you the one that I have to address.  If we are going to keep just one eye open, then keep open the one that sees clear the truth not the bull.    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
But I have less use for  stupid intrusive laws.

this is my point on the matter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]
they're only paranoid, because they have to break the law to live their version of  freedom.
JMHO of course.

Chris

Quoted:
Every stoner I know is so paranoid (meow). They (meow) get so moody (meow), stressed (meow) out.
(meow) Just relax man (meow)... what? (meow)

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#21]
no, never legalise it
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I just voted to make it legal. I just want the THC factor legal since it helps with pain...I would rather take a pill with THC than being on Morphine patches and all these other things they give. I am going through HELL getting off these pain meds and feeling like a junkie.

They should figure a way to legallize THC and forget about the rest.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
It's called marinol, and it doesn't work the same as the raw marijuana. too many side effects.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there anyone still from Alaska or has this thread been taken over by people from the East Coast?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I'm still here.  Let's see ArcticBear, you were talking about keeping an eye open for the truth no the bull.  I'm not sure who you believe is spouting bull, and I agree that you should not have to deal with anyone who is hopped up on goofballs or whatever.  It is hard enough dealing with miscreants you don't need them to be wacked out of thier minds as well.  AND BY THE WAY, THANK YOU FOR BEING OUT THERE ON THE FRONT LINE.  Are you with the APD or Troopers?

Anyway, the truth is alcohol and marijuana are not the same things, they don't do the same things and millions of people responsibly use both.  There are also millions that abuse both.  I only mentined my perefferal experinece with MJ to point out something.  I don't think anyone who has experience using drugs believes that marijuna is anything near as dangerous as alcohol.  Sure some people think it's a gateway drug.  But unless it has been a gateway drug for you and you assure me that you wouldn't have used crack or cocaine or whatever else without marijuana opening the door I just refuse to believe it.

I really believe that you have to try smoething like mj before you condemn it

Keep in mind a few other things.  There is more than one religion in the world that believes marijuana has healing and spiritual power.  I believe so myself to some extent.  Sure you can crap on what other people believe, but I chose to respect others opinions.  When the native americans used it they considered it a gift from god.  As did the Rastas.

And if your concerned about unborn babies.  Consider the following and be cheered.  I did a quick search and came up with the following they were the first 5 results on ask jeeves for "marijuana effect fetus";

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/2490.html
"Children of heavy pot users may have disturbances in their short-term memory, concentration, and judgment"

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth7.shtml
"A number of studies claimed reported low birth weight and physical abnormalities among babies exposed to marijuana in utero.  However, when other factors known to affect pregnancy outcomes were controlled for - for example, maternal age, socioeconomic class, and alcohol and tobacco use - the association between marijuana use and adverse fetal effects disappeared"

http://users.lycaeum.org/~painter/ENDWAR/marij2.html
"In summary, it is still good practice in areas of ignorance, such as the effects of drugs on fetal development, to be prudent. While no definite clinical association has yet been made between cannabis use during pregnancy and fetal abnormalities, such events are likely to be rare at best and could be easily missed. The belated recognition of the harmful effects on the fetus of smoking tobacco and drinking alcoholic beverages indicates that some caution with cannabis is wise."

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/62/71754.htm
"Researchers say that although marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug among women of childbearing age, little is known about the side effects of prenatal exposure to marijuana. They say previous studies have produced conflicting results because it's difficult to account for potential contaminants frequently found in marijuana and contributing effects of other drug and alcohol use."

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/wom06.htm
"Conclusion, unless you smoke in excess of three grams (6 to 10 joints) of marijuana a day, everyday you are pregnant, it is very unlikely that you will damage your unborn baby.
This is not to say that you should use any drug or medication while pregnant. You will not do any good to your baby if you use marijuana while pregnant."

So just to be clear SHOULD YOU SMOKE DOPE WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT - NO, NO NO.
Should you smoke cigarettes when you're pregnant - no, no, no
Should you drink when you're pregnant - no, no, no

Anyway, you have much more experience than I when it come to seeing babies affected by drugs.  So I'll have to take your word that it is a big problem.

And my little joke earlier was in part earnest.  I'm sure a very large percentage of our parents smoked dope before during and after conception.  As have millions of people throughout history.  Do "We all pay for several decades to help th(ese) child(ren) through life."  We sure do!  We all pay for decades for each and every baby born.

What does any of this have to do with anything?  I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]
You are correct in many areas and no I am not crapping on anyone else, let alone their beliefs.  It is good to hear debate about alcohol and MJ.  I just ask for people to keep both eyes open and understand that not all people smoke or drink responibly.  Have you ever spent time in a Village?  These places are not like any place on the road system and the way of life is not always a good one.  Drugs and Alcohol rule one's life from birth to death.  When you have to clean up after the fact all drugs and alcohol look the same to you.  Sorry about preaching.  I think that drugs and alcohol are a bigger problem than we on this little old site can figure out on our own.  Lets stick to all of us heading out and shooting at Birchwood on hte 19th.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top