Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/14/2013 8:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2013 8:09:58 AM EDT by bigstick0000]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/588582534501584/589567041069800#!/GunsAcrossAmericaColorado

we need everyone at this rally. Don't think colorado congress isn't after your guns, they want all semi auto, pistols and rifles. If you have one mission this week, go to the rally. DD
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:48:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigstick0000:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/588582534501584/589567041069800#!/GunsAcrossAmericaColorado

we need everyone at this rally. Don't think colorado congress isn't after your guns, they want all semi auto, pistols and rifles. If you have one mission this week, go to the rally. DD

While I agree that going out is important, I honestly think it'll do little to no good. The Dems control the house, senate and governors seat. We can rally and send all the letters we want, but they're gonna do what they want to do. It's been their goal for a long time now and they finally have the seats to get it accomplished.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:07:13 AM EDT
yep, just roll over!
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:21:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 13crows:
yep, just roll over!

Where in that post did I say that? I'd love for you to point it. They've been waiting to gain control of all 3 portions for awhile now. Do you honestly think that they care about 2A or what people have to say? If you think so, your pretty delusional.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:51:03 PM EDT
Bringing myself and a friend.

Where should we park? I'm up in FTC, and not very familiar with downtown Denver as I try to avoid it like the plague.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:53:31 PM EDT
I'll be coming down from Longmont. I've spread the word but response has been tepid at best. I recognize the fact that it will likely fall on deaf ears but, at the very least, I want to be counted lest they believe they're really "speaking for Colorado".
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2013 1:00:43 PM EDT by Angel_King]
I have class untill 1145 on saturday. If anyone wants to carpool from the springs around noon I'll throw gas money.

Edit: OK, no class on Saturday still down to go.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 5:10:48 PM EDT
Damn, I am out of town this weekend visiting the in-laws. I will be there in spirit and do what I can later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:14:32 PM EDT
I will try and make it.... Anyone have an idea what kind of turnout to expect?
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 7:56:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By the-fly:

Where should we park? I'm up in FTC, and not very familiar with downtown Denver as I try to avoid it like the plague.

You wana designate a ARFCOM ham frequency for coordination at the event?

Preferabley on the 2m
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 10:23:30 AM EDT
Somebody make a stick figure for me. I wish I could go but alas, Im not even in the country.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 10:32:11 AM EDT
Will be there. Any logistical support need doin' ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 11:25:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stoner01:
Somebody make a stick figure for me. I wish I could go but alas, Im not even in the country.

I will bring a kong on a stick
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 12:21:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shawnson:
Originally Posted By stoner01:

I will bring a kong on a stick

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT

Plenty of pay to park lots downtown just stop at a close one.
Or you can drive around and around and around til you find a spot but theyre gonna be metered 2 hr max.
And youll have to parallel park most likely, you driving your truck?

I'm gonna try to make it but i work til 0600 sat am. and have to be back at 1800 sat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 6:24:12 PM EDT

Fly, do you have room for one more? I'm happy to help pay for gas etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 6:43:32 PM EDT

Preferabley on the 2m

we could use one of the denver area 2m repeaters. Maybe 147.225?
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 6:44:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FaucetFace:

sure do. Sending an IM with my contact info
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 7:30:02 PM EDT
I'm there, I'll try to bring whoever I can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:03:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FaucetFace:

sure do. Sending an IM with my contact info

Got it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:28:42 AM EDT

Preferabley on the 2m

147.225 works and maybe 147.405 simplex as a back up. The repeater can be a bit hard to hit sometimes when your downtown.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:52:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2013 7:52:27 AM EDT by the-fly]

Preferabley on the 2m

147.225 works and maybe 147.405 simplex as a back up. The repeater can be a bit hard to hit sometimes when your downtown.

What's a better repeater for downtown coverage?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:21:13 AM EDT

Preferabley on the 2m

Honestly the best one is the Colorado Connection Repeator 145.310 - 123.0
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:26:04 AM EDT

Honestly the best one is the Colorado Connection Repeator 145.310 - 123.0

sounds good, we'll use 310 then
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:14:17 AM EDT
Hey, I just posted this on the tacked topic but figured I'd do it here as well. I pretty much never go down to Denver so I'm not sure how to find you all. If anyone feels like designating a set location, IM me Lat/Lon and I'll use my Garmin to find you. I've got no BFL schwag but will try to print and display something discreet as my ARF bona fides.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2013 1:10:46 PM EDT by Shawnson]
Originally Posted By KeithC:
Hey, I just posted this on the tacked topic but figured I'd do it here as well. I pretty much never go down to Denver so I'm not sure how to find you all. If anyone feels like designating a set location, IM me Lat/Lon and I'll use my Garmin to find you. I've got no BFL schwag but will try to print and display something discreet as my ARF bona fides.

I think the best and easiest location to meet would be War memorial park directly to the west and across the street from the steps to the Capitol. There is a large obelisk in the middle of the park. The address is 100 East 14th ave, Denver CO, 80203. But I don't know if there is an "official" meeting location or not.

GPS Location

39.739229, -104.986696‎
+39° 44' 21.22", -104° 59' 12.11"

It sounds like there is a lot more information on Facebook than there was a few days ago i guess there is an actual event organizer named Don that i just left a message with. As soon as i hear back i will let ya all know what i find out. This has also got a lot bigger than i first thought it would which is a good thing. They pulled a permit for 1500 people and think that they may have to pull one for more.

Check out the Facebook page for ore info i guess at 11 O'clock there is supposed to be some big information dump on the page.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:08:25 PM EDT
Roger that and thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:59:28 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with the guy Don Dobyns who has taken charge of the event and it sounds like he has put a TON of work into making this happen. The official location of the event is the West side steps of the Denver City Capitol Building. The other location that i mentioned before can be our meeting location if you would like to stick around with ARFCOM members. The three things that Don would like to remind everyone of is as follows.

1. NO GUNS, I know this sucks but its only for a few hours. Denver PD confirmed they will be arresting people with firearms. Remember this rally is on Capitol property so Concealed Carry is NOT allowed on the property. Leave them at home on Saturday.

2. Try to dress reasonably. There will be a lot of media there and we don't want to look like a bunch of wackos. Just be smart.

3. If you are approached by the media, take a second and think about what you are saying. Consider how it may be manipulated by the media. Don't get upset and again just be smart.

The Facebook page has a lot of info on it its just a little difficult to sort through. I requested that Don create some kind of PDF file that would have all of the info in one place to be distributed and he said he would try to get some people on it.

Facebook Page

See ya all there!

P.S.
The official ARFCOM Ham Radio frequency will be the Colorado repeater 145.310 - 123.0 with a back up of 147.405 simplex.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:50:12 PM EDT

1. NO GUNS, I know this sucks but its only for a few hours. Denver PD confirmed they will be arresting people with firearms. Remember this rally is on Capitol property so Concealed Carry is NOT allowed on the property. Leave them at home on Saturday.

I'll leave my carry gun in the car, but how can they legally ban CCW unless all entrances to the rally area have metal detectors?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:48:03 AM EDT

I'll leave my carry gun in the car, but how can they legally ban CCW unless all entrances to the rally area have metal detectors?

Pulled from the Facebook page.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. I am still getting phone calls and emails about concealed carry at the rally. Some people are stilltelling me the law says they can carry on state property as long as they don't go through a metal detector. I was on the phone with both Sgt Domiquz and Capt Holland from the Colorado Highway Patrol, at length today working this out. I was told by both of them it is illegal to carry on the grounds of the capitol, it falls under a different statue for state property. He said he would give me the statue code if I needed it. I told him his word was good enough for me. Look, I don't want anyone arrested so why tempt fate? I am asking everyone to please not bring your guns to the rally. If you are arrested, and I can assure you that you will be if seen, you will have effectively neutralized all the hard work that has been put into this. Maybe one of you can tell me why you just can't leave your guns in your car for a couple of hours?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:40:19 AM EDT

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. I am still getting phone calls and emails about concealed carry at the rally. Some people are still telling me the law says they can carry on state property as long as they don't go through a metal detector. I was on the phone with both Sgt Domiquz and Capt Holland from the Colorado Highway Patrol, at length today working this out. I was told by both of them it is illegal to carry on the grounds of the capitol, it falls under a different statue for state property. He said he would give me the statue code if I needed it. I told him his word was good enough for me. Look, I don't want anyone arrested so why tempt fate? I am asking everyone to please not bring your guns to the rally. If you are arrested, and I can assure you that you will be if seen, you will have effectively neutralized all the hard work that has been put into this. Maybe one of you can tell me why you just can't leave your guns in your car for a couple of hours?

Sounds like a good legal challenge to me - as the CCW laws are pretty clear cut on this. But I agree, this is not the time or place for THAT fight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 9:49:34 AM EDT by Shawnson]
Just for reference.

18-12-105- SUBSECTION C

(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.

Boring part to proceed that declares it a class 2 misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:30:22 AM EDT
Just for reference.

18-12-105- SUBSECTION C

(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.

You might make the argument that having a CCW gives you legal authority. I'd rather not be the test legal case though
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:46:21 PM EDT
Just for reference.

18-12-105- SUBSECTION C

As in the other thread:

18-12-105 (2) (c)

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(c) A person who, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214; or
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:01:11 PM EDT
I'll be headed up from Pueblo, my sign has a BFL on it
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:13:06 PM EDT

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. I am still getting phone calls and emails about concealed carry at the rally. Some people are stilltelling me the law says they can carry on state property as long as they don't go through a metal detector. I was on the phone with both Sgt Domiquz and Capt Holland from the Colorado Highway Patrol, at length today working this out. I was told by both of them it is illegal to carry on the grounds of the capitol, it falls under a different statue for state property. He said he would give me the statue code if I needed it. I told him his word was good enough for me. Look, I don't want anyone arrested so why tempt fate? I am asking everyone to please not bring your guns to the rally. If you are arrested, and I can assure you that you will be if seen, you will have effectively neutralized all the hard work that has been put into this. Maybe one of you can tell me why you just can't leave your guns in your car for a couple of hours?

No offense, and I appreciate the guy helping organizing, but personally I am going to need a cite. I have no idea what "it falls under a different statute for state property" means. I agree that we don't want any extra-newsworthy events but I have never heard of this concealed carry restriction, nor can I find anywhere in the applicable statutes where this is the case. The guy is much more trusting than I.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:39:36 PM EDT
Sounds like there's been a reversal, so long as "concealed means concealed". Update to both the Facebook page and the tacked thread here. Wife and kids will now be joining me, both adults CCW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:31:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KeithC:
Sounds like there's been a reversal, so long as "concealed means concealed". Update to both the Facebook page and the tacked thread here. Wife and kids will now be joining me, both adults CCW.

as per the facebook page.

Attention CCW update, State Capitol - I am about to make a bunch of you real happy. I just got off the phone after talking at length with Capt Holland, Highway Patrol, and we discussed the desire by a lot of people to carry concealed on the Capitol grounds. I related to him that many of the attendees desire to carry concealed on the Capitol property. Capt Holland stated that if everyone that wants to carry concealed will conceal their guns well enough that it cannot be detected that it will be permissible to carry concealed. This means that the weapon must be undetectable and secured tightly. If everyone will abide by this requirement, they can carry concealed. This was per Capt Holland. Now, I have done everything I can do to please everyone that has contacted me in one form or another. So the bottom line is if you want to carry concealed, please do so. Ensure when you are getting in and out of your vehicles that the gun is not visible. I appreciate everyones feelings and have tried to accomodate everyone. Now, no one needs to stand across the street and everyone can attend. DD
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 12:51:36 PM EDT
I f'ent for about an hour. I wore business casual, so I doubt that I'll be in any pics (part of the idea).
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:08:10 PM EDT
Good turnout. I showed up a little late, but caught the last 30-45 minutes.

The 2009 tea party rally there had more people i thought, but i was still impressed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:02:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BenCO:

The 2009 tea party rally there had more people i thought, but i was still impressed.

It was kinda hard to judge numbers but would you agree with about 2000 or so. We did get ALOT of cars driving by supporting the event.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:13:37 PM EDT

It was kinda hard to judge numbers but would you agree with about 2000 or so. We did get ALOT of cars driving by supporting the event.

Thats my guess, about 2000-3000.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:17:36 PM EDT
I would agree with the 2-3k estimate. Overall I thought it was a great rally especially considering the short lead time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:17:06 PM EDT

So you caught the "counter protesters"?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:50:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:

No i didn't. Did they show up at the end?

And my guess was 1500'ish
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2013 5:32:59 PM EDT by LonghunterCO]

Three of them in the park across the street from us. I don't remember the third sign but one was something with gun makers= merchants of death and the one the pissed me off "Hey hey NRA how many kids did you kill today"
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:35:57 PM EDT

Three of them in the park across the street from us. I don't remember the third sign but one was something with gun makers= merchants of death and the one the pissed me off "Hey hey NRA how many kids did you kill today"

Missed them. I'm all for their first amendment rights, but i can't stand gun grabbers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:44:16 PM EDT
Really, some of you thought the crowd was ~2K?
could have been,
I showed up a little late (10 min) and didn't walk around the crowd to check out the attendance.

did see the State PoPo throw out a guy wearing a Stars and Stripe design shirt (I think he was panhandling)
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:31:39 AM EDT
Enjoyed the speakers--did not enjoy the corny singing
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:02:35 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:01:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

The National Anthem was good.

I hear you on the corny songs, though.

I did not see the counter-protesters.

But there was a Bald Eagle circling once the speakers started speaking.
Top Top