Posted: 10/1/2005 2:55:50 AM EDT
Miscreants Beware

SB-436 lives!!

that is all
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
im drivein to otown for the fun show,, hope its not like the wild west when i get there,, it'd give me a reason to spend extra cash!

gonna be interesting to see how this all  plays out..
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#4]
No flames here brother. I see far too many abject dumbfucks, read; "Tactical Wannabes", talking shit and acting out their asses.

Here's what prompted me to post this thread;

The first paragraph from a front page story in todays mullet wrapper:

'Stand Your Gound' law begins today
Stephen Majors
Hearld Staff Writer

"If you're a tourist about to come to Florida, you may be advised not to argue unnecessarily with the locals. And if you happen to be in a traffic accident while you're here, you may be told to remain in your car and keep your hands in plain sight."

From there it drones on about how the Brady Campaign is the best thing since the pocket t-shirt, and how the NRA is Satan,  how everyone is gonna die...BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Nice, huh?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i know i'm going to get flamed for this but i've spoken to too many uneducated people who think they can shoot people if they feel threatened.

What if we feel they're ugly?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i know i'm going to get flamed for this but i've spoken to too many uneducated people who think they can shoot people if they feel threatened. That is what scares me. People who do not understand the application of the new law. I've had too many people in my CCW classes say really scary shit in regards to this law. The only positive thing is the civil action portion.

Flame away gentlemen.
J

BIG PLUS +++1,000

Too many dumbass wanna be tough guys talk like they now have an 'the right' to shoot people.  This is very serious business.  

Rambo's put your pistols away and grow up.  RUN away from trouble.  You no longer have a "DUTY to withdraw", that doesn't mean "stand your ground and kill em, that'll show em how tough I am".   RUN AWAY from trouble if you can.... that's STILL your first and best defense.   Sooner 9not later) some macho hot head will needlessly exercise poor judgement and screw up a lot of people's lives forever - including his own.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I look at this new law is that I have the same rights as do the criminals have had in the past. They shoot you when they want now I can shoot back and kill them without all the BS laws protecting them. But this could back fire sure it will but I fell better about this one.  I keep one loaded in my ride all the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
TV 20 in Gainesville had a anti gun story about the new law allowing people to use deadly force for any reason. They actually thought that you could shoot someone for bad driving. And of course, Florida is now the wild west.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
TV 20 in Gainesville had a anti gun story about the new law allowing people to use deadly force for any reason. They actually thought that you could shoot someone for bad driving. And of course, Florida is now the wild west.

Thats what they said for CCW too! The anti's are losing ground in Fl and I LOVE it
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite is "Blood will run in the streets"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My favorite is "Blood will run in the streets"

Thats why Im wearing my wading boots.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
There's blood in the streets, it's up to my ankles
Blood in the streets,  it's up to my knee....

The Doors -- Peace Frog
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Im interested as well to see how this law plays out. I say it doesnt last a full year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to a guy the other day that said he felt he could shoot someone if that someone wouldn't reimburse him the money spent to repair his friggin tire...

I told him he was out of his mind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im interested as well to see how this law plays out. I say it doesnt last a full year.

The law hasn't really changed all that much.  The problem really is under education on FSS 776.012 and the addition of FSS 776.013.

I find it amazing that the State gives folks the 790 laws with the application and you sign that you have read them, but they don't include 776.012 "Use of force in defense of person".  They tell you all about Judges ability to carry and if you can give a 15 year old a BB Gun, but they don't provide the "consumer" the rules on the use of Deadly Force.

Crazy

Use of force in defense of person 776.012 they change a few words and add "and does not have a duty to retreat if:"

The circumstances of the justification of the use of deadly force are the same:

He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony

And they added 776.013, which deals with "Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.--"

So the criteria for "The Street" has remained the same, but all they did was protect CCW holders from people that don't respect or understand the letter of the law . . . namely Prosecutors in places like Dade and Broward Counties.

Nowhere in the original law did it saw you had a duty to retreat if someone was stabbing you with a knife.

Which brings me to the point that the new law does not lessen the justification for deadly force outside the home.  

Anyone that would like to read the new laws and see the actual changes can view it HERE
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
And back to Dr.Mom9900, you should probably know that the right to defend yourself with "No duty to retreat" someone applying deadly force on you if actually fairly common here in the United States . . . at least in states with lower violent crime.

Just a question.  If you were standing on a corner, waiting for the light to change and someone started beating you in the head with a claw hammer, would you try to crawl away and get help or would you attempt to defend yourself with any means possible?

If you were sitting watching you 10 year old son playing Soccer and you see a car come busting through the fence and a man stepped out with a rifle and started shooting all the children, would you run to the car to call it in on cell phone as you escaped, or would you use what ever means you legally had to protect not only your child, but the children of the other sheep around you?

I know what my answers are without having to weigh to many options
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
in no way do i mean to start trouble, its just they made this law a little TOO broad. If a guy starts hammering me to death,i would fight him, since I, like most of florida, do not have a concelead weapons permit. and im sure  the police would understand if a madman started to shoot kids and i shot him in return. making this new law, i see a lot of unnecessary deaths, since more ppl are going to buy guns now thinking they are now forever safe. So heaven forbid some guy with a hot temper starts something, and he gets shot to death. no that shouldnt happen. and thanks SGB for reminding me my post count. After 0 i tend to forget.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
No problem.

The point of my first post is that nothing has really changed.  The Press, where people tend to get their information rather then doing thier own research, has blown this out of preportion and LIED TO THE PUBLIC.

A)  There was NEVER a duty to flee someone applying Deadly Force on you or another.  They added the exact wording to protect the victim

B)  You can't shoot or use deadly force against someone walking up to you to ask directions because they make you nervous.  Follow the link to the law and read it for yourself.

C)  The law SPECIFIES that you can't be breaking the law at the time or the law does not apply to you

Blood will not fill the streets.  It pains me to tell people this as it does not align with their fears, but the press sticks a camera is some dumb asses face every time they make an inflamitory comment like that.  Sorta like the guy in a trailer park after a tornado.  Some shirtless idiot missing his two front teeth will run up and proclaim "It sounded like a train!!"

I can remember back to when we made a State wide CCW permit.  They lined up Sheriffs and Attorneys to say . . . you guessed it, "Blood will flow in the streets".  Guess what, never happened.  

In every state that makes a CCW law, they line the suited idiots up to get thier chance to say "It'll be like the old west, there will be gun fights in the streets . . .  the streets will run Red with Blood" and comments like that.  Never happens

If you should be upset, it should be with the Media.  They are the ones whipping the pubic into thinking that they can shoot people outside of deadly force confrontations.  SHAME on the press for speading possibly deadly information to the public.  They are iresponsable and may actually convince some uninformed person ito beleiving thier horseshit.

The poor people that bought into the presses lies and are handing out fliers at the Airports should be handing out fliers that say "Our Local Media is unreliable.  They spread lies and try to inflame the public into making mistakes.  Our media is more conserned with selling ad space then the well being and safety of the citizens of our State.  Please have a good time in our State, but don't waist your time or money on our media"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
in no way do i mean to start trouble, its just they made this law a little TOO broad. If a guy starts hammering me to death,i would fight him, since I, like most of florida, do not have a concelead weapons permit. and im sure  the police would understand if a madman started to shoot kids and i shot him in return. making this new law, i see a lot of unnecessary deaths, since more ppl are going to buy guns now thinking they are now forever safe. So heaven forbid some guy with a hot temper starts something, and he gets shot to death. no that shouldnt happen. and thanks SGB for reminding me my post count. After 0 i tend to forget.

If a criminal is dumb enough to break in and gets shot SO WHAT!

Would you rather the family get killed? But THATS ok as long as criminals dont get hurt

As you stated here how can you shoot someone if your NOT carrying, Or are you carying illegaly?

Go cause trouble elsewhere, we dont have the time or patience

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Well . . .

It's been a week.

I just looked outside and no blood running yet . . . but it has been raining.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, the gunfire in my neighborhood hasn't increased... too much.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#23]
No gunfire or blood in the soaking into the dirt in the road here, but I'm waiting. Maybe tomorrow...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Other US states have similiar "Stand your Ground" laws. I believe washington state of all places has one (but don't quote me on that) .
Besides,  If more states adopted similiar laws like this one, we would have a much politer society in the end.

Sounds like to me your worried about one of you own family members or friends that are a little hot tempered in public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top