Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 5:32:14 PM EDT
There is this little corner pizzeria here in Houston that sells a “Chicago style” deep dish pizza and I wanted to confer with you guys in the second city to see if what I was sold was the real deal.  Now I have know idea what a DD pizza is suppose to look like except it’s not suppose to be like the Shit they sell at Pizza Hut.

Breakdown.  
Bottom layer is nice yeasty tasting thin crust bread.
Then a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Then a double layer of pepperoni.  (Every square inch of the pizza has two layers of good quality pepperoni.)    
Then a second layer of bread.  Also thin.
The top layer is sauce and has some green bits sprinkled on it.  Oregano?  Basil?  I don’t’ know.

Pricy at 16.00 for a 10” but half the pizza filled me up.  And it was good.
Here are some big pics. to help you sort it out.

thanks,

Thanks.  

Pic#1 sauce on top.  

Pic#2.  you can see the split between the crust layers.

Pic#3.  reference for thickness.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a Malnati's pizza
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's basically the right format. Usually just one layer of crust. The sauce looks a little thin.

How'd it taste?

Here's one of Chicago's finer pizza joints, their site tells you all you want to know about Chicago style pizza

www.loumalnatis.com/about/about.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You had a stuffed pizza. - Giordano's & Carmen's are two good examples here in Chi-town.

Deep dish only has one crust, at the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I would go along with Tango7 on this!

The Pizza is of the Stuffed type, but it would also pass as a DD Pizza also due to it being made in a pan with loads of ingredients place so thick it would slide off of a regular Pizza!

If they did not double the layers and made it just one layer of crust on the bottom it would have bin more traditional!

All that said I still think it looks great and I am hungry for a slice at 7:40A.M.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, a topic I can sink my teeth into. hey
I can't judge as to authententic taste by a photo, so box one up and send it to me for "evaluation" purposes.  I'll let you know how close they came.

As to different types of pizza, there are a lot of variations: the classic thin crust or "New York" style. The thick crust or "pan" pizza. This is a single crust on the bottom that usually has the sauce on top and is the chunky style sauce. The Chicago style "stuffed" pizza, which is supposed to be a Chicago original, though there are several pizzarias that make the claim of being the inventor. This has, as you know, a layer of crust on the bottom, the real good (IMHO) ones use a cornmeal based crust for the bottom, a layer of cheese and a layer of "toppings, thena thin layer of dough which is a more traditional thin crust type dough, then a layer of chunky sauce.  Ther eis the "Sicilian" pizza, which is a thicker crust, very little cheese and a red smooth sauce on top. This pizza is baked ina square pan and is cut into rectangels usually. Those are the most basic types.

Drooling yet? I am!

Regards,

efxguy
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Chicago Style.

Deli Style

Either it is or it aint.

Chicago visited a plague of locusts on Texas when y'all let them set up shop in Houston under the banner of "Pizza Uno".  

Fact: The original Pizza Uno in Chicago buys the entire run of Sausage from a very small production facility. There is no more. The original Uno is the onliest Uno that uses this sausage. There are other differences from Chicago Pizza made in other cities, most notably the lack of Lake Michigan water combined with the precise elevation above sea level of 659 feet.

Chicago Pizza is made by Democrats in restaurants owned by Republicans.

You don't get squat.

And what's with the Miller Lite thing? Jeez Louise, get a Chicago Beer like Dog Style.... errr... Old Style.

Veronica at M&A Parts
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, Gino's East changed owners and the quality went downhill.

The Oak Lawn location closed and is for rent.

It sucks, because I really like Gino's East.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say the "end crust" also looks too thin.  Here is the thing I think about TRUE Chicago style pizza.  It DOES NOT come from a chain store or big name place.  The BEST comes from your local family owned joint that wants to make sure you keep coming back.  Chain stores, etc., have to follow a format, account for how many ingrediants, etc., goes on the pizza.  You want the pizza joint where dad owners it, son and daughter work there, and their delivery driver is a crusty stoner
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I love Carmens...AAMOF, my wife & my first date was there.

They've got the flaky butter crust thing down to a science. Had some Uno's (Gurnee) the other day. Their crust was very good, but it was almost fried tasting due to so much butter in the pan. Very good, but not what I was expecting. I'm also sensitive to the amount of fennel used in the sausage.

Giordano's is also very good - a little more doughy than I like.

BTW, if any of you are NY transplants, and miss the "big slab'o'grease" style 'za, try Gigio's in Evanston - corner of Davis & Maple.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Chicago Style.

Deli Style

Either it is or it aint.

Chicago visited a plague of locusts on Texas when y'all let them set up shop in Houston under the banner of "Pizza Uno".  

Fact: The original Pizza Uno in Chicago buys the entire run of Sausage from a very small production facility. There is no more. The original Uno is the onliest Uno that uses this sausage. There are other differences from Chicago Pizza made in other cities, most notably the lack of Lake Michigan water combined with the precise elevation above sea level of 659 feet.

Chicago Pizza is made by Democrats in restaurants owned by Republicans.

You don't get squat.

And what's with the Miller Lite thing? Jeez Louise, get a Chicago Beer like Dog Style.... errr... Old Style.

Veronica at M&A Parts

Onliest? Hmmm I like that word.

Maybe Pam would like to go out for some of this pizza...?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

With the proper Champagne, I think she would go for it. Not known to be a cheap date.

One more day (or until the office felines find out, anyway) she's still on www.mapartsinc.com/theRant.asp
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With the proper Champagne, I think she would go for it. Not known to be a cheap date.

One more day (or until the office felines find out, anyway) she's still on www.mapartsinc.com/theRant.asp

I have a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck in the fridge. I always keep something in there, just in case. That's why they make carry-out

Now, I keep visiting the rant hoping to see a new photo. Throw a dog a bone, already!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Now, I keep visiting the rant hoping to see a new photo. Throw a dog a bone, already!

Okay, slightly closer-up. www.mapartsinc.com/theRant.asp

Happy?

Keep yer bones to yersef.

Veronica
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy?

Veronica

P.S. I'm a generous type. I like to share
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy?

Veronica

Holy Crap, you guys acutally have a real website now!!!

Last time I looked I swear it was about the sophistication of a TSR-80 from when I was in elementary school!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
For more Chicago style pizza, in or outside of the Chicago area:  www.nancyspizza.com/ ; their pizza is awesome.

I prefer the thin crust but the deep dish is good too.  Agree about the Uno's think.  Used to eat at the one in Forest Hills, NY a lot and it was not the same as the original Uno or Due.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For more Chicago style pizza, in or outside of the Chicago area:  www.nancyspizza.com/ ; their pizza is awesome.

I prefer the thin crust but the deep dish is good too.  Agree about the Uno's think.  Used to eat at the one in Forest Hills, NY a lot and it was not the same as the original Uno or Due.

Nancy's has some kick-ass sandwiches too. The chicken club is awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top