Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:20:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 9:21:50 AM EDT by Snoofer]
a bill that would ban "assault weapons"  by zip code.

bill
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09600HB1966ham001&GA=96&SessionId=76&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=43876&DocNum=1966&GAID=10&Session

lou dobbs video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3hdhqqt6I&feature=player_embedded

please contact your rep!
http://www.ilga.gov/senate/
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:36:53 AM EDT
It is seriously time to consider making Crook county a seperate state and let them do what they want up there.  Guessing they couldn't get the votes to pass it state wide so no they'll try for Crook only.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 1:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 2:00:12 PM EDT by KingC]
I say we get a bill introduced. "Take Illinois Back tothe way it looked before 1818 ACT"

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:17:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
It is seriously time to consider making Crook county Chicago a seperate state and let them do what they want up there.  Guessing they couldn't get the votes to pass it state wide so no they'll try for Crook only.

Fixed it for you.  According to recent election results, even Cook county wants out now!
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:57:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shadesofgrey:
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
It is seriously time to consider making Crook county Chicago a seperate state and let them do what they want up there.  Guessing they couldn't get the votes to pass it state wide so no they'll try for Crook only.

Fixed it for you.  According to recent election results, even Cook county wants out now!

No we need a buffer zone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:21:37 PM EDT
WTF is the point of this bill All of the zip codes are in Chicago where everything on that list is already banned.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:27:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:
WTF is the point of this bill All of the zip codes are in Chicago where everything on that list is already banned.

According to the YouTube Lou Dobbs video, the law could pass, the ZIP code part could be declared unconstitutional and, just like magic, you've got a statewide AWB.  I'm sure they know this too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:30:30 AM EDT
Does anyone on OUR side even remember anymore that assault weapons are, by definition, fully automatic, and there is no such thing as a semiautomatic assault weapon, and all assault weapons are already illegal in all of Illinois?  And that assault weapons are, by definition, smaller than carbines, so must be at least M4 size, and that assault weapons, by definition, fire a reduce power (or "midlevel") cartridge?  Which means neither AR15 (nonauto, too long), M16 (too long), semiauto CARs (nonauto, too long), M14 (full power cartridge, too long), M1919, 50BMG bolt action rifles (need I list?) are not, and cannot be considered, "assault weapons"?

We, and the industry now, call these guns assault weapons because we have let THEM define the terms.  Of course people are afraid of "assault weapons".  If we called them what they are "rifles", people would be far less alarmed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 1:57:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By puskrat:
Does anyone on OUR side even remember anymore that assault weapons are, by definition, fully automatic, and there is no such thing as a semiautomatic assault weapon, and all assault weapons are already illegal in all of Illinois?  And that assault weapons are, by definition, smaller than carbines, so must be at least M4 size, and that assault weapons, by definition, fire a reduce power (or "midlevel") cartridge?  Which means neither AR15 (nonauto, too long), M16 (too long), semiauto CARs (nonauto, too long), M14 (full power cartridge, too long), M1919, 50BMG bolt action rifles (need I list?) are not, and cannot be considered, "assault weapons"?

We, and the industry now, call these guns assault weapons because we have let THEM define the terms.  Of course people are afraid of "assault weapons".  If we called them what they are "rifles", people would be far less alarmed.

This battle has already been lost.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2009 12:24:38 PM EDT by war-wagon]
We live in a nation\state governed by the rule of law so when your" zip codes" up turn them in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 6:08:37 PM EDT
I'm confused... it's only a few ZIP codes in the worst shitholes of Chicago, but I thought CPD "de-registered" evil black guns a few years ago and made them unlawful to possess?  Well, darnit, if that didn't work, let's make them EXTRA SUPER DUPER unlawful to possess.  That should do the trick!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2009 7:09:11 PM EDT by KingC]
Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
I'm confused... it's only a few ZIP codes in the worst shitholes of Chicago, but I thought CPD "de-registered" evil black guns a few years ago and made them unlawful to possess?  Well, darnit, if that didn't work, let's make them EXTRA SUPER DUPER unlawful to possess.  That should do the trick!

If you had read the earlier post, and also seen the Lou Dobb's piece, the purpose of this bill if it becomes law, is to be overturned by the IL Supreme Court because it would violate the equal justice[protection under the law] provision of the Constitution. Thus, it would have to apply to the whole state[equal justice], and not just a few zipcodes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:51:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KingC:

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:

If you had read the earlier post, and also seen the Lou Dobb's piece, the purpose of this bill if it becomes law, is to be overturned by the IL Supreme Court because it would violate the equal justice[protection under the law] provision of the Constitution. Thus, it would have to apply to the whole state[equal justice], and not just a few zipcodes.

That's what happens when I skim...  I have a vision of that court challenge not going the way they want, since Heller found that commonly-held classes of firearms are protected, and one circuit has already incorporated Heller.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:10:52 AM EDT
ok so if that scenario played out.   Supreme court says that bans by zip code are unconstitutional.

Wouldn't A AWB still have to go be passed by the senate and the house?

what's the diff between a ban by zip code and a ban by municipality?  as far as being unconstitutional?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2009 8:37:48 AM EDT by shadesofgrey]
Originally Posted By BigBore45:
ok so if that scenario played out.   Supreme court says that bans by zip code are unconstitutional.

what's the diff between a ban by zip code and a ban by municipality?  as far as being unconstitutional?

OK, here is the best way to illustrate this:
A law us passed stating the following:
"Assault weapons" are banned in IL in the following ZIP codes: 60614, 60647, 60739.

IL courts say sorry, the ZIP code part is unconstitutional, the rest is OK.

So, we are left with this: "Assault weapons" are banned in IL in the following ZIP codes: 60614, 60647, 60739.

It does not have pass again.  It, of course, can be challenged in court.  In the meantime, we have a statewide AWB and no guarantee of it being overturned.

ETA: "what's the diff between a ban by zip code and a ban by municipality?"  Big difference.  How about bans by street?  By air traffic patterns?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2009 11:26:28 AM EDT by KingC]

"Assault weapons" are banned in IL in the following ZIP codes: 60614, 60647, 60739.

So, we are left with this: "Assault weapons" are banned in IL in the following ZIP codes: 60614, 60647, 60739.

It does not have pass again.  It, of course, can be challenged in court.  In the meantime, we have a statewide AWB and no guarantee of it being overturned.

ETA: "what's the diff between a ban by zip code and a ban by municipality?"  Big difference.  How about bans by street?  By air traffic patterns?

A ban by [a] municipality is  possible in a town that is a home rule entity. When the State Constitution was ratified, all cities over 25,000 were instantly home rule as well as Cook County. Other counties and cities could adopt home rule by having an election. I'm not sure which towns have since adopted home rule, but to date, no other county has voted to home rule. Thus, they have very little power to adopt many laws outside of health and safety issues. Most other issues have to be guided by the state. Therefore, if the state adopts an awb, then it would be applicable in all counties. Cook County is the only county who can adopt an awb on it's own. Home rule towns have the power to adopt assault weapon's bans.

I believe these to be the case. Anyone, please hone this or correct whatever may be incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2009 8:37:43 AM EDT by war-wagon]

Thats exactly what they have in mind.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 4:46:29 PM EDT
additionally, the City firearm bans are NOT felonies.  I don't think the Cook County AWB is a felony either.  Making it state-wide could make it a felony.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:16:58 AM EDT
Damn I'm all for it, did you see that gun in that video JEEEEEEEZ what would you need that for......Don't even get me started on those Armor piercing baby seeking Boooolets

Why oh why do I live in Cook
Top Top