Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 5:06:42 PM EDT
my wife and i just left a wreck that involved a friend of ours, BgCoops girlfriend was hit by some punk teeenager, so she needs you guys prayers. She is doing good but got her knee banged up pretty good. the punk or his parents never walked across the street to see if she was ok, they stood there staring from across the highway. you  know, if i hit someone and even if it was my fault i would do what i could to help and at least come over to see if they are ok. i would like to give a HUGE plus 1 for Columbia county sheriff's dept. they really went out of their way to help Kelly, and as a plus a patrol unit saw the whole wreck. in closing, what has happened to Americans? have we become so self centered and "what about me" that one simply can't ask another how they are? the teenage douchebag was ok even with both vehicles totaled, they all just walked around looking at her and her explorer, what a pathetic family rant off, sorry guys, this kind of thing pisses me off to no end
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry dude....

I would check, and I am an American.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah Daniel, thank yall for everything, at the hospital now, really nice of the sheriffs department to bring her pistol to her. I agree with you though, it seems like more and more people just don't care anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah Daniel, thank yall for everything, at the hospital now, really nice of the sheriffs department to bring her pistol to her. I agree with you though, it seems like more and more people just don't care anymore.

if you guys need anything at all, please call. come by tomorrow and pick up the ranger, Jodi said she would make lunch for everyone
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Lady hit me last year and fought hard and lied her ass off with the police officer to pin it on me when the damage and debris clearly pointed out it was her fault...and I still made sure she was ok.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear your wife is ok. We are going threw a mess due to a women hitting my wife about a month ago.

Times have really changed. I watched a 16-17yr old kid cuss a adult like a dog Friday night at a High School football game. The teen was taunting a man twice his size to get up and he would whip him. The parent just sat there with a look on his face that it was taking everything in his power to keep from going off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Glad to hear your wife is ok. We are going threw a mess due to a women hitting my wife about a month ago.

Times have really changed. I watched a 16-17yr old kid cuss a adult like a dog Friday night at a High School football game. The teen was taunting a man twice his size to get up and he would whip him. The parent just sat there with a look on his face that it was taking everything in his power to keep from going off.

Gotta watch those kind. Apt to pull a knife or gun in the parking lot.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
this reminds me of a story that happened to me several years back. At the time i was a nurse in the ER. there was a very bad wreck that happened right out side of my house. the sound of the impact shook my house. i went out side to see two vehicles both on their drivers sides. as i came to the site to see if there was anything i could do there were already people starting to congregate on the side of the road from the neighborhood. one driver was already climbing out of the car so i went to the ohter vehicle. all i could see was the bottom of the car and could tell there was about 3-4 feet of intrusion into the passenger side. i just knew that i was going to find someone dead when i got to it. when i did there was only the dirver in the car and she was alive but clearly confused. all that i could do at that point to keep her from further injuring herself was to try to keep her calm and to hold and stabilize her c-spine until EMS and FD got there. this is where i got completely pissed. people started to walk up the the car that i was at. i thought maybe they would come to see if they could help. no they were comming to look and gawk. after about the third person did this i yelled "this isnt a F'n freak show that if you werent providing assistance get the F*** back". fortunately for me the FD was arriving and took over the rescue efforts. I just remember thinking how pathetic these people were for just spectating and even trying to see the person who was injured just to say "man i saw that lady she was messed up!' i understand that not everyone is trained to provide assistance but like the OP said to just stand and look and continue to do so for their own personal entertainment is ridiculous.

OP my prayers are with your friend and her family and im glad to hear she is doing ok with the exception of her knee.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
this reminds me of a story that happened to me several years back. At the time i was a nurse in the ER. there was a very bad wreck that happened right out side of my house. the sound of the impact shook my house. i went out side to see two vehicles both on their drivers sides. as i came to the site to see if there was anything i could do there were already people starting to congregate on the side of the road from the neighborhood. one driver was already climbing out of the car so i went to the ohter vehicle. all i could see was the bottom of the car and could tell there was about 3-4 feet of intrusion into the passenger side. i just knew that i was going to find someone dead when i got to it. when i did there was only the dirver in the car and she was alive but clearly confused. all that i could do at that point to keep her from further injuring herself was to try to keep her calm and to hold and stabilize her c-spine until EMS and FD got there. this is where i got completely pissed. people started to walk up the the car that i was at. i thought maybe they would come to see if they could help. no they were comming to look and gawk. after about the third person did this i yelled "this isnt a F'n freak show that if you werent providing assistance get the F*** back". fortunately for me the FD was arriving and took over the rescue efforts. I just remember thinking how pathetic these people were for just spectating and even trying to see the person who was injured just to say "man i saw that lady she was messed up!' i understand that not everyone is trained to provide assistance but like the OP said to just stand and look and continue to do so for their own personal entertainment is ridiculous.

OP my prayers are with your friend and her family and im glad to hear she is doing ok with the exception of her knee.

thanks man, i guess i'm just different. i would care if i hurt someone else. i think most here would also, but john Q public doesn't give a rats ass anymore. it shouldn't shock me i guess to see the person at fault just hanging out across the street not giving a damn

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's one that should renew a little faith.

About a year ago, I helped out at an accident on I-95 right before the 204 (Savannah) exit.  A large moving van going the opposite direction on I-95 lost a front tire and it shot across to the guard rail in the middle, flew into the air, and hit a truck going the opposite direction.  The guy driving the truck never saw it coming.  Incredibly, it hit just behind the driver, smashing the truck up badly (think 200 pound tire impacting at 140 mph) but barely injuring the 2 in the truck.  They were able to safely pull off the road.  The guy driving the moving van, after he managed to safely wrestle the truck off to the side of the road, ran 1/4 mile back down the road, and crossed all 6 lanes of I-95 to see if he could help out the guys in the damaged truck.  Besides me, the guy in the car behind the damaged truck and one other guy stopped to help.  A bit later, a firechief from one of the towns nearby stopped and the moving company owner also arrived.  We ended up waiting over an hour for the police to arrive though, even seeing 3 or 4 of them drive by on the freeway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot causes me to lose faith in people as a whole.  It isn't just the people not helping but also the no thank yous etc.  Stories that help it for me are things like this:  I was walking from Little Five Points to East Atlanta down Moreland.  Just south of Wylie I came across a man who was 60-70 years old out cold on the sidewalk in a position that did not look like "I fell asleep".  I watched someone step over him before I got to him.  Sadly my first thought was set-up so I looked around for where shitheads could be hiding and using this dude as bait and rested my right hand where it needed to be.  I nudged him with my foot still looking around with no response.  I did it again with no response.  I kept my right hand where it was and shook the man with my left saying a firm SIR! SIR! and his eyes opened.  He sort of sat up and looked scared. I'm pretty sure he thought I was a cop.   I asked if he was okay and he said yes unconvincingly.  I asked if he needed medical help and he said no.  I asked him if he lived nearby and he said no.  I asked him if he knew anyone nearby and he said no.  I asked him I could help him get anywhere and he said no.  I asked if I could call someone to let them know where he was and he said no.  I said okay and that I was going to leave and he said okay.  As I started to leave he said HEY.  I turned around and looked at him and he said "THANK YOU" as strongly as he could. I told him he was quite welcome and said take care.  He scooted himself over to a wall to lean up on as I turned back around.

I have helped with random situations SO many times.  SO few people have done what that nice old man that drank too much on the side of Moreland did.  I have stopped to check on people in an accident I saw and gotten nothing but "look at my CAR!!". I find it sad that the good responses from people are the ones I see as unique.   I'd say I'm at maybe 10% positive response to random help.  I prefer to dwell on those.

Edit:  The only thing I can think of that would cause stupid reactions to random help would be that maybe people assume we are part of "the system" that is "supposed" to do these things FOR them?.  I dunno beyond that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn I hope Kelly is doing OK with all things considering. Will do some praying tonight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, nobody cares about other people anymore.

I remember I few weeks ago I saw on the news where in NYC a guy trying to help a woman getting mugged got stabbed himself, and left for dead. As he laid there on the sidewalk dying, everyone was walking next to him, walking around or over him. You could clearly see the blood from the security camera that caught the incident. Several people even took pictures with their cellphones. Of course by the time the police showed up an hour or so later, he was dead.

I remember back about 8 years ago, I was sitting at a redlight on Indian Trail, by the QT, and it was raining. A dude coming my way slammed into the back of me, totaling my car. He told the cop it was my fault, and that my car looked like that before he hit me. The cop didn't believe it but had to ask. Several weeks later, since he told his insurance that it was my fault, they wouldn't pay. We ended up suing him, and he countersued, his lawyer saying that it was my fault because I could have avoided the accident by running the red light. Yeah, let me run a redlight while cars have already started moving because they had a green light. I eventually got my car paid for, but it was a huge hassle. Some people I guess...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Freedom doesn't mean freedom FROM responsibility.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the prayers, Kelly is ok, really sore from the airbags and some small burns on her arms from the airbags. She had some damage to her knee joint and maybe a torn ligament, but she's ok. Now to see how bad the insurance company screws me over on her vehicle, guess we'll find out this week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like there enough personal injury to make up for any short changing they do on the auto. Persue the personal injury claim and most likely you will come out even overall.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like there enough personal injury to make up for any short changing they do on the auto. Persue the personal injury claim and most likely you will come out even overall.

Should I get a lawyer or just deal with the insurance companys
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, nobody cares about other people anymore.

I remember I few weeks ago I saw on the news where in NYC a guy trying to help a woman getting mugged got stabbed himself, and left for dead. As he laid there on the sidewalk dying, everyone was walking next to him, walking around or over him. You could clearly see the blood from the security camera that caught the incident. Several people even took pictures with their cellphones. Of course by the time the police showed up an hour or so later, he was dead.

I remember back about 8 years ago, I was sitting at a redlight on Indian Trail, by the QT, and it was raining. A dude coming my way slammed into the back of me, totaling my car. He told the cop it was my fault, and that my car looked like that before he hit me. The cop didn't believe it but had to ask. Several weeks later, since he told his insurance that it was my fault, they wouldn't pay. We ended up suing him, and he countersued, his lawyer saying that it was my fault because I could have avoided the accident by running the red light. Yeah, let me run a redlight while cars have already started moving because they had a green light. I eventually got my car paid for, but it was a huge hassle. Some people I guess...

That is unreal.

When I ran into the back of a vehicle that pulled right out if front of me the driver wanted to let it go.  When I informed her to, "Wait right here until LLEA arrives", she screamed, "You hit me buddy!"  Many other people saw the whole thing but only one stopped to see if we were OK.  They were right behind us and I asked if they would stay and fill out a statement.  They said no problem.  If it wasn't for their statement, I would have been the one getting the ticket.  

If you see it, stop and make sure all is well and your story is told.  

To the OP: Glad all is well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to see that yall are having to deal with that.  I'm glad Kelly's okay though.  Feel free to call me if there's any way I can help out Brandon. I'm sure that this injury won't keep her down for too long.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Did the other party have valid liability insurance? If not, and your GF has illegal immigrant liability coverage aka uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage then someone needs to look into it, because illegal immigrant liability coverage is pretty convoluted and can have very small limits like the minimum legal (25k in GA)

Otherwise:

DKING –– spoken like a pro. And he is correct.

"Bodily Injury" is a bad word in auto claims. "Physical damage" is much better for them, it has a beginning, a middle and an end that begins with $0 and ends with a lame offer for totaling your car. You do not have to accept their total offer as a 3rd party. It is negotiable if you can document the value (including all recent repairs or upgrades like new tires).

I wouldn't sign a medical release until you know for certain the injuries are fully recoverable. In the grand scheme of things even a nice car is nothing compared to a lifetime of reduced mobility.

As long as you are truthful with the ins co and don't accept their bullshit they have already dealt with it a thousand times. Cave and you will leave money on the table. If you make stuff up you invite a lot of trouble into your life.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I get a lawyer or just deal with the insurance companys

Lawyer, one who specializes in personal injury cases.  Never know how much lasting damage there will be, or lost time from work for physical therapy, potential for complications, etc...  The insurance company is going to want to push you to accept a low ball cash offer early on, knowing that your costs will likely be more than the offer in the end.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
One call,  that's all.  If you in a wreck,  getch yo check?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No offense meant, but this is the reason no one helps anyone any more.  The first thing your taught in a self defense situation is to say I was in fear of my life and nothing more other than my lawyer will be happy to give you a statement.  Because anything you say in a moment of fear, stress, etc will be used against you.  I challenge the lawyers on here,  how they would use the statement from the other party if they came up and said I'm so sorry hope everything is ok, what can I do to help.  They just admitted guilt or at least that is what the lawyers will argue.

Prayers sent and hope for the best for you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Even an untrained person can hold someone's hand.

I'm trained as a first responder, but there is room at someone's side for more than just the guy patching up the hurt.

"Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away? "
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top