Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:30:08 PM EDT
well i got rear ended today and then the bastage didnt pull over, just kept going....

i was in a turn lane waiting to turn left. light turned green and while i was in the middle of my turn the guy behind me hit me. as there were cars everywhere i couldnt just stop, also it was an entrance ramp onto the highway.

while going down the highway he pulls up beside me and asked if im ok and all that. i said im fine and to pull over at the next exit so we can check out the damage. there was heavy traffic and i lost him on the road. i figured he would take the exit so i pulled over at the first place i could, gas station right off the highway. before i lost him i wrote down his license plate number also.

after about 15 minutes waiting he didnt show up so i called my father-in-law(cop) and asked him what i should do. he said its a hit and run and to go to the police. i went down to make a statement, gave the plate number i had written down and gave a very, very general description of the car(dark color, maybe old)...i really didnt have a chance to look because of heavy traffic and trying to write down his plate.

well i was informed that since the plate number i gave the officer and the car that came up didnt match what i told him he said there is nothing he could do but wait to see if the guy turns himself in...

any advice would be helpful. the way i see it is i got the plate number, they find who it is, go over and have a chat with him and check out his car...end of story. but i guess that isnt the case here. now i gotta wait to see if he comes forward...if not i have to report it to my insurance company and pay my deductible to get it fixed...this freakin sucks...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:38:27 PM EDT
You were too nice. After being hit stop and block the ramp if need be. Talk to the drive and make plans to move to another location instead of blocking the traffic.

Glad your ok cars can be fixed/replaced.... bodies no so easily.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:42:54 PM EDT
Talk to State Police as they are the ones who generally deal with Auto Accidents. I am sure they can help you out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:51:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By voodochild:
Talk to State Police as they are the ones who generally deal with Auto Accidents. I am sure they can help you out.

i talked to them earlier and said that since it didnt happen on the highway that it was a county thing and they could do nothing about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:39:14 AM EDT
Yeah, right. The guy is going to turn himself in....driving around with tags from another vehicle on his car?!?! Sounds like you got yourself fucked. Next time (hopefully, there won't be a next time), stop where ever you happen to be, screw being considerate to other traffic, exchange information and immediately call the popo. The cops aren't going out of thier way for what they consider a minor fender bender.
Glad you are ok and I know it sucks about the truck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:58:07 PM EDT
Did you try to swear out a warrent yourself? If you go to the magistrates office with that information you can swear out a hit and run warrent. It isnt up to the police if they do it is up to the magistrate at that point.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KogaShuko:
Did you try to swear out a warrent yourself? If you go to the magistrates office with that information you can swear out a hit and run warrent. It isnt up to the police if they do it is up to the magistrate at that point.

i did not do that...i'll have to look into that early next week
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:33:48 PM EDT
It’d be interesting to know how big the mismatch is between the vehicle you described and the vehicle the tag is actually registered to.

If this guy had stolen tags on his car, he pretty obviously wasn’t going to wait around for the police anyway.

And he’s certainly not going to turn himself in.

And I wouldn’t bet on him having insurance either.

Whether or not you should have stayed at the accident location is your call. If traffic is heavy and fast moving, getting out of your own vehicle and walking around can be risky business.

Vehicles are a lot easier to repair than people.
Top Top