Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 9:15:59 PM EDT
i read this posted on calguns. any opinions on if this is B.S.?

Just got back from our FFL in San Leandro and he said he was audited last week and that the DOJ agent spent 5 hours pouring through his records.

The important part is the agent said that "ALL AK RECEIVERS ARE ILLEGAL" and doesn't matter if they are listed or not "IF THE RECEIVERS SAY AK, THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND WILL BE CONFISCATED".

i have seen a ewbanks reciever while i was drosing my stag. the ewbanks is marked emakm.
i have also seen RRA and double star recievers and they are marked LAR-15 and star-15.
so the ar recievers do contain AR-15 in their names.

CAR (all) take off the 97
add MFR (all).
Add "FEG" Hungarian as a classification
Model SA 85M
Add "Robinson Armament"
AK-47 series VEPR (all)
Add "DOUBLESTAR"
DSC STAR-15 rifles (all)
DSC STARCAR Carbine (all)
Add "DSA"
DS-AR (all)
Add "Barrett"
AR-series (all)
Add to Bushmaster - to go under model X M15E2S , Carbon 15 rifle and Carbon 15 pistol.
Add "European American Armory (EAA)"
Saiga
Add Century International Arms
WASR-10 (all)
Add FAR-15 (all)
Add STAG 15 (all)
JP - (all)
CMMG (all)

we see that doj proposed to add AR-15 and AK style recievers to the list.
does having AR or AK in part of the model number make them series members already?
is it if it's not listed by make and model then it is legal regardless of AR or AK in the name.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]

The important part is the agent said that "ALL AK RECEIVERS ARE ILLEGAL" and doesn't matter if they are listed or not "IF THE RECEIVERS SAY AK, THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND WILL BE CONFISCATED".

check back on that thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The agent was giving bad, obviously incorrect information, and I bet he knew it.

Sadly agents can not be condemned for knowingly giving utterly incorrect legal advice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]

The agent was giving bad, obviously incorrect information, and I bet he knew it.

Sadly agents can not be condemned for knowingly giving utterly incorrect legal advice.

They know it is incorrect information and they are doing it on purpose. And there is nothing you can do about it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If it were true they would have shut down and arrested every FFL transferring AK receivers.  No arrests yet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
They are just leo. leo get paid to lie.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
DOJ inspectors don't understand - or rather, are ignoring, the full details of the 2001 Harrott decision and if it smells bad they can cause problems, killing your deal.

So if you are getting a Sovblock receiver, just make sure it doesn't say AK - that way your deal won't be queered by any administrative action and you'll get your receiver in time.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top