Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
Is there any way for a person under 21 in NY, without a pistol permit , to aquire a pistol, legally?  I live in Saratoga county....

is there any way to get one as a "gift", and have it for "target shooting" only....im not talking about a CCW, just the ability to own and use a pistol in NY.
I know pistol permits are hard to get in Saratoga county...I dont turn 21 for another month+...
                      Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The short answer......No.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
so theres no possible way to possess one without a pistol permit then?  I dread having to apply for a permit, go through the safety course, pay the fees...etc..gets expensive, and you can just simply get denied without reason.....  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so theres no possible way to possess one without a pistol permit then?  I dread having to apply for a permit, go through the safety course, pay the fees...etc..gets expensive, and you can just simply get denied without reason.....  

Nope, you need to have a pistol permit to legally own one.

Also, nobody is denied a pistol license without reason.

If they deny you, you'll know why.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, you need to have a pistol permit to legally own one.

Also, nobody is denied a pistol license without reason.

If they deny you, you'll know why.

ill see about it when 21 rolls around...first things first though....getting my C&R license...thats priority
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a small spot of good news.

First, the bad news.  If you are under 21, you can't get a handgun permit, period end of story.

But . . . if you are between 18 and 21, you are actually permitted to shoot someone else's gun (assuming they have a permit or are a police officer) at a range.  This is the only time a NYS resident without a pistol permit can shoot a handgun in NY, and curiously enough you can't do this if you are over 21.

So take advantage of this, and go to the range with a friend who has a pistol permit and shoot away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

First, the bad news.  If you are under 21, you can't get a handgun permit, period end of story.

But . . . if you are between 18 and 21, you are actually permitted to shoot someone else's gun (assuming they have a permit or are a police officer) at a range.  This is the only time a NYS resident without a pistol permit can shoot a handgun in NY, and curiously enough you can't do this if you are over 21.

So take advantage of this, and go to the range with a friend who has a pistol permit and shoot away.

i was aware of the ability to shoot anothers pistol , but i didnt know 21 was the cutoff age...didnt know there was such a thing....retarded laws
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

since when?
in 2000 when I got mine (chautauqua county) the application clearly said 18 19 and 20 year olds could apply with an additional letter from their parents giving consent
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
When I got my license 11 years ago, you could be 18 (which I was).......but you couldn't buy a handgun from a store until you turned 21.

What you could do though is buy a gun off another license holder.  You would just meet at the department to do the transfer paperwork.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When I got my license 11 years ago, you could be 18 (which I was).......but you couldn't buy a handgun from a store until you turned 21.

What you could do though is buy a gun off another license holder.  You would just meet at the department to do the transfer paperwork.

yeah, this is what my neighbor told me...he said itd have to be a private transfer thing, or from the parent or something like that...AH too many laws...

im glad all I have is those harmless rifles....thank god we are protected and have restrictions on those deadly baby killing pistols
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The law has changed in the last few years.

Article 400 of the Penal Law, which deals with licensing, now reads:

S 400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms.

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this
section except by the licensing officer, and then only after
investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application
for a license are true. No license shall be issued or renewed except for
an applicant (a) twenty-one years of age or older, provided, however,
that where such applicant has been honorably discharged from the United
States army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard, or the
national guard of the state of New York, no such age restriction shall
apply;
(b) of good moral character; (c) who has not been convicted
anywhere of a felony or a serious offense; (d) who has stated whether he
or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any
hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; etc.

Unless you have an honorable discharge from the military, you must be 21 to get a permit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The law has changed in the last few years.

Article 400 of the Penal Law, which deals with licensing, now reads:

S 400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms.

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this
section except by the licensing officer, and then only after
investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application
for a license are true. No license shall be issued or renewed except for
an applicant (a) twenty-one years of age or older, provided, however,
that where such applicant has been honorably discharged from the United
States army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard, or the
national guard of the state of New York, no such age restriction shall
apply;
(b) of good moral character; (c) who has not been convicted
anywhere of a felony or a serious offense; (d) who has stated whether he
or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any
hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; etc.

Unless you have an honorable discharge from the military, you must be 21 to get a permit.

ya...it must have changed, my neighbor got his when he was like 19 or somethin if i recall (the story)...dont hold me to that though
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The age change was part of Pataki's 2000 anti-gun package along with the AWB. Prior to the change there really wasn't a minimum age for a NYS pistol license. As a compromise they added the provision for 18-20 year olds to fire a handgun at a range while under the supervision of another pistol licensee. Unfortunately public ranges usually require you to have a pistol license so that provision is meaningless on many ranges.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Definitely.  Nassau County range ignores the provisions.
A pistol licensee there can only fire the weapons listed on his license, not those of
any other pistol licensee.  No one unlicensed may fire a handgun there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Definitely.  Nassau County range ignores the provisions.
A pistol licensee there can only fire the weapons listed on his license, not those of
any other pistol licensee.  No one unlicensed may fire a handgun there.

what a bunch of commies...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Calverton would let you use someone else's pistols, either under the 18-21 exception or the you have your own pistol license exception.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was aware of the ability to shoot anothers pistol , but i didnt know 21 was the cutoff age...didnt know there was such a thing....retarded laws

21 is the FEDERAL limit on owning pistols.

Sorry, but you cannot own a pistol if you're under 21 here in PA either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]
there is something about accepting a pistol as a gift in a private transaction i believe however... correct?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
there is something about accepting a pistol as a gift in a private transaction i believe however... correct?

Since you can't legally possess without the permit, I don't see how that would be allowed
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
21 is the FEDERAL limit on owning pistols.

Sorry, but you cannot own a pistol if you're under 21 here in PA either.

isn't that the federal limit to BUY (from a dealer) a handgun not own?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#20]
There are a number of states that still issue CCW licenses to 18 year olds. Montana and Maine are two that I know of offhand but there are several more.

The minimum age to posess a handgun in VT is 16 without parental permission:

§ 4008. Possession of firearms by children

A child under the age of sixteen years shall not, without the consent of his parents or guardian, have in his possession or control a pistol or revolver constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot. A child who violates a provision of this section shall be deemed a delinquent child under the provisions of chapter 55 of Title 33.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top