Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 12:28:28 PM EDT
hi all, the new guy at tinker afb again...

so i have the option of getting a decent mossberg 500 at a fair price, but the bluing has really seen better days.  any of you all know someone who can refinish firearms in the okc area at a relativly inexpensive price?  i was originally thinking of getting it parkerized, but that might be a tad expensive for me.  probably somthing like duracote on a beadblasted surface.  the wife set the limits around 75 bucks or so , but in this day in age i really cant argue with her about $$$.

so are there any options out there for me, guys?  thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just had R&S in Moore blue a muzzle loader barrel for my Kentucky rifle. It came as a kit, was in the white. I'm really pleased with how it came out. Cost was $50. Well worth it to me

Quick turn around too. Right at a week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Ol Yeller. He can do a nice job on it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try Ol Yeller. He can do a nice job on it.

Well.....Look who is checkin' in here.  I am out on summer vacation right now.  If you want that wood delivered, holler at me this week at we'll make it happen.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The guy in Jones is supposed to be pretty good.  What is his name??
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on R&S in Moore.  I've not used them for bluing but have had them to do other work and they even repaired my Broomhandle Mauser firing pin. Last of the old fashioned gun smiths around that I know.  Very decent on pricing as well.  Steve
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The guy in Jones is supposed to be pretty good.  What is his name??

Steve Baldwin. I believe he doesn't do gun bluing though.
He mostly works on precision rifles and high dollar shotguns.
I've known more than one gunsmith to shut down bluing because of EPA investigators checking them out for environmental regulations.
No BS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
olyeller aka www.accurate-iron.com is also in Jones.  Not sure if he can do a whole shotty for $75 though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't believe olyeller does long guns right now
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Mike (Olyeller) at Accurate Iron in Jones, OK is the only place around there that I know of that refinishes guns (he won't usually do gunsmithing on long-guns, but you can usually talk him into a refinish if he's got the time).

He mostly uses a Ceramic coating called Ceracoat - I've got a few guns he's done and the finish never comes off.  I'm not sure how much he would charge for a Shotty, but he's fair on his prices.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]
For painted finishes go with Olyeller.  Bluing is R&S as stated by the other guys.  Both are great at what they do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top