Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2005 3:22:30 PM EDT
any of you guys ever buy a gun or gear at gander mountain? how is the store, how are the prices?

they are going to open  one up in joliet in a month or two, supposed to be a gigantic store.

i know they have one down near tbk1. any feedback??
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There is also one in Geneva.

Prices don't seem too bad.  I bought a shotgun from them that was on clearance.

They have a large selection of used guns.  The salesmen don't seem too bright and sometimes it's hard to get waited on.

One time I was looking for a handgun scope.  The guy showed me 2 kinds in the glass case.  Then he went under the counter and came out with a brochure of scopes...a brand they don't sell...and he told said, "This is what I have and I like it".

Watch for good sales and cleaances.  I bought some great raingear for very little $$$.

As any place, check around to make sure the price is right.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been in the one in Davenport, IA. a couple times. They have a decent selection of ammo (mostly hunting stuff, but they had Wolf .223 and Wolf 7.62x39 along with some Black Hills Remanned in the Blue Box) I also like that they had a good selection of cleaning gear and hunting clothes.

I wish I had one that was closer than Davenport (about 70-75 miles West) or Joliet (75-80 miles East)

Oh well.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been in the one in Davenport, IA. a couple times. They have a decent selection of ammo (mostly hunting stuff, but they had Wolf .223 and Wolf 7.62x39 along with some Black Hills Remanned in the Blue Box) I also like that they had a good selection of cleaning gear and hunting clothes.

I wish I had one that was closer than Davenport (about 70-75 miles West) or Joliet (75-80 miles East)

Oh well.

WIZZO

Wizzo, there's one in Rockford, don't know how far away from "outside of Rock Falls" it is.

The Rockford store is where I learned:

What to do at Gander if you don't shop for guns:

Walk up to the rack of orange tip fake guns
1)Pull the fake hammer
2)Pull the fake trigger
3)Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've never heard of one near me.  I have been to the one up in Janesville, Wis.  The prices were high, but I have an FFL so that skews my perception a bit.  I bought a set of 8MM Mauser dies on clearance for a GREAT price.  The stores are very nice--worth a trip just to see the displays.  

Just out of complete sheer curiosity, where are you at in IL tbk1?
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't know there was one in Rockford.

I haven't been up that way in about 5 years......even if it is less than an hour away

Thanks for the info.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to ask for the 10% discount for military members (on everything, but firearms)

I 've got some good stuff on clearance, from them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
They carry a very nice selection of guns, but no EBR's Prices good on most things. Sales are great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never heard of one near me.  I have been to the one up in Janesville, Wis.  The prices were high, but I have an FFL so that skews my perception a bit.  I bought a set of 8MM Mauser dies on clearance for a GREAT price.  The stores are very nice--worth a trip just to see the displays.  

Just out of complete sheer curiosity, where are you at in IL tbk1?

Decatur

Thank you sir.

end threadjack.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
There is one in Terre Haute, Indiana that just open up a month ago.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to watch their prices on the used firearms.  The one in Rockford has had some of them for at least 2 years since they are asking MORE for a used one than a new one in the glass counter next to it!!!  And it doesn't even have any upgrades!

You can find some deals on the used ones when it seems they "mis-mark" them

New guns are very competitively priced.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I've found their prices to be average, with an occasional good deal.  Look online at their website and you can look at their most recent store flyer.  Don't even think about trying to get them to order any "assault weapons" though.  It's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Taurus 85 for 229 at the Geneva store. There is a salesman there named Dave or Dan or something like that who is really helpful. The rest of them are not so helpful. As for EBR's the closest thing is the Beretta Storms that they have stashed in the corner. Their prices on used guns tend to be hight but I was told they might negotiate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You'll like it TB--not so great on guns and such (unless you're a hunter--then you'll find plenty) but really good quality outdoor gear at reasonable everyday prices--and really good when on clearance. Their signature line is called the Guide Series, and it's pretty good stuff. I always wait until I get a deal. Got a Katadyn Pocket water filter on closeout for $99, and a Combi for $49. Rain gear, tents, sleeping bags--wait until the end of the season and pick off the deals. Thus the advantage of living close.

Another big plus is case discounts on ammo. Every once in awhile I can scam a case of Winchester White Box Value packs. More often, I grab AAs for my shotgun.

ETA--I think the store you're thinking of is the one in Peoria, as Cody mentioned. Not so close to tbk, but about 1/2 hour from me.

Can you tell I've spent a lot of money there? Especially since Galyan's became Dick's House of Balls (Galyan's in Peoria was right across the street.)
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Good sales, nice selection of powders.

Don't expect the sales staff to be much help. Last time I was in there the kid in the firearms section insisted that a holster was a mag pouch (I wanted a double mag pouch for 9mm) and made a whole bunch of other amusing mistakes. If you know what you want, and it happens to be on sale, it's a great place.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
MW365 THEY ARE OPENING A BRAND NEW ONE IN JOLIET. i have been to stores like bass pro sjop in texas and was thinking its  laid out like that. as long as its not like mega sports, those guys are morons
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Geneva, Peoria, and Rockford (plus the new one in Joliet) are the only locations in IllAnnoy.

I've never been to Bass Pro or Cabela's but the gear is along those lines.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
<snip>
Another big plus is case discounts on ammo. Every once in awhile I can scam a case of Winchester White Box Value packs. More often, I grab AAs for my shotgun.
<snip>

Really?

You wouldn't by any chance know what they charge for a case of Wolf 7.62x39 or .223, would you. Every time I've been in Gander Mountain, they haven't had any prices on the Wolf.

Thanks

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Wizz
I went to the one across the northern border in Kenosha four weeks ago and they had 9 boxes of Wolf 223 fmj  on the shelf. No posted prices. I asked and they said $2.90 a box. I was on my way tho Buffalo the next day so I bit. They appear to carry other types of wolf but were out when I was there.

All in all the ammo selection was poor. Not even Winny white box in any flavor. There was some Olympic 7.62x39 on sale for $12.00 for a box of 50. ( OOOOOOh get that quick )  Not Black rifle friendly and the used 94 Winchesters that they had were outrageously priced. Lots of Glass and handguns though but equally over priced. A fairly comprehensive gunsmith dept though.

Save the gas driving to one of those and apply it to shipping somewhere else.

JR

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There is also one in Geneva.

I like that store.

The in-laws live down the street.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Great selection at the one in Geneva... they had 10/22 hot lips mags for $17 ea. a few months ago.  Good ammo prices, and great gun prices.  

I bought a used Winchester Defender at the one in Rockford, and it was probably the smoothest gun buying experience I've had.  I wasn't complaining about the $160 price, either.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a new surefire from them last weekend.  Guys didnt know alot about them but they were $10 cheaper than anywere else and carried Surefire which alot of stores around here dont.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

Really?

You wouldn't by any chance know what they charge for a case of Wolf 7.62x39 or .223, would you. Every time I've been in Gander Mountain, they haven't had any prices on the Wolf.

Thanks

WIZZO

Case discount is 10%, IIRC. 10 boxes is a case, I think.

I'll go along with most in saying it's probably not worth a pilgrimage to visit unless you need lots of gear, but if you notice, most with good things to say stop when they're in the area, and do OK. That's my approach to shopping there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks.

I'm not working this weekend, I'm bored, I'm running low on ammo, and I have some money that is starting to burn a hole, so I was thinking of making a trip for the hell of it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I've noticed that the Geneva IL store has better prices on new and used guns than the Kenosha store. The Kenosha store gun prices were insane. Haven't bought any guns from them yet but there ammo prices are not bad. I think Bass Pro beats them on ammo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I really like Gander. I have bought alot of camping and fishing gear from the geneva store. I can't wait for the Joliet store to open. I hope it kicks Mega and the Gun shit shop right in the nut's!  The Geneva store has been very supportive of the Aurora sportmens club and has given us tons of coupons etc. to hand out at our shoots. I really like the guide series clothes, gear, etc. I have signed up for everyone sales adds  like gander, cabalas, the bass pro shop etc. I have taken other places sales papers into gander and they will price match for you....  
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I really like Gander. I have bought alot of camping and fishing gear from the geneva store. I can't wait for the Joliet store to open. I hope it kicks Mega and the Gun shit shop right in the nut's!  The Geneva store has been very supportive of the Aurora sportmens club and has given us tons of coupons etc. to hand out at our shoots. I really like the guide series clothes, gear, etc. I have signed up for everyone sales adds  like gander, cabalas, the bass pro shop etc. I have taken other places sales papers into gander and they will price match for you....  

Nice to hear from a fellow ASC memeber. As the new Joliet store for kicking Mega Sports, I don't think that will happen because Gander will never have the gun and ammo selection, nor that enormous number of rental choices. The Gun Shop baffles me as to how it surivies with Mega Sports down the street. How can any one sell a VEPR for $175 dollars OVER MSRP? Especially when I know of a few stores that sell it for MSRP.  The increased competition from Gander should bury it. Since you seem to be in the area, how is the shop across the street from Mega as it was closed when I got down to your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
how is the shop across the street from Mega as it was closed when I got down to your neck of the woods?

Good luck finding it open. It's been closed every single time we head that way and we usually stop by mega at least every couple of weeks. I'm begining to think it's a front or something.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how is the shop across the street from Mega as it was closed when I got down to your neck of the woods?

Good luck finding it open. It's been closed every single time we head that way and we usually stop by mega at least every couple of weeks. I'm begining to think it's a front or something.

The store across the street from Megasports is really not a retail gun storefront. They focus more on stocking various SAFES. However I stopped in and talked to them one day, and inquired about their firearms. They advised the best way to know what they've got for sale is their website at www.fjvollmer.com P.S. Their website is next to useless, though
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
the guy at the safe store is a really  nice guy.you just have to catch him at the right time for a gun that you want.his prices are more than fair.i have bought ,sold and traded with him many times in the last few years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The are closed during the weekends, which for most of us 9 to 5ers makes it look like it is always closed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The store across the street from Megasports is really not a retail gun storefront. They focus more on stocking various SAFES. However I stopped in and talked to them one day, and inquired about their firearms. They advised the best way to know what they've got for sale is their website at www.fjvollmer.com P.S. Their website is next to useless, though

Vollmer used to have a store down here in Bloomington--I was always happy shopping there. Never could afford the $10k for the PSG-1 he had though

They used to be big into manufacturing machine guns--don't know if they still are or not. I could be wrong, but I think Fred Vollmer was even mentioned by Henry Bowman in Unintended Consequences.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#35]
they did stop class III awhile ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Where is the new Gander Mountain in Joliet going to be located? I hope it is somewhere along route 30 near the mall such that I will have another excuse to justify a trip out that way. Also, is The Gun Shop the little store that everyone complains about down the road from Mega Sports or is there another small shop in that area?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#37]
THE GUN SHJOP IS RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM MEGA (EAST), STOP IN AND SAY HI TO AL, IF YOU CAN GET HIM TO STOP TALKING FOR 2 MINUTES.

GANDER IS GOING TO BE IN SOME BIG MALL AT I80 AND WHERE THE 355 EXTENSION IS GOING TO BE, NOT SURE WHERE THAT IS THOUGH
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Just a heads up, Gander in Kenosha, WI is having a managers special on WWB 9mm 100 rnd packs, $8.  I have my 20 cases reserved, so now it's safe to let you guys know
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just a heads up, Gander in Kenosha, WI is having a managers special on WWB 9mm 100 rnd packs, $8.  I have my 20 cases reserved, so now it's safe to let you guys know

Oh thanks, I was just up that way yesterday shooting at Bristol!
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Gander gives 10% off to Boy Scouts with ID except guns and ammo. (Including leaders) Eagle Scout ID works too...So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Somebody asked about case prices on Wolf--it's on sale this month.

Link to Peoria Sale
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Link to Peoria Sale

Thanks for the link.

Hopefully I'll get a day off in the next couple weeks so I can head down there.

As of Monday, I'm all out of .223

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've found their prices to be average, with an occasional good deal.  Look online at their website and you can look at their most recent store flyer.  Don't even think about trying to get them to order any "assault weapons" though.  It's not going to happen.hr

We sure do a lot of business with them. Barreled uppers, kits, what have you. Most notably the Cedar Rapids store.

Veronica @ M&A Parts
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've found their prices to be average, with an occasional good deal.  Look online at their website and you can look at their most recent store flyer.  Don't even think about trying to get them to order any "assault weapons" though.  It's not going to happen.

We sure do a lot of business with them. Barreled uppers, kits, what have you. Most notably the Cedar Rapids store.

Veronica @ M&A Parts

Well, it's good to know that at least one of the stores deals in this stuff, because all of those that I've been in, especially in WI, won't order any ar or ak stuff, and most of the employees that I've dealt with wish they could, but say Gander's policy is only "sporting arms", or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Where is the new Gander Mountain in Joliet going to be located? I hope it is somewhere along route 30 near the mall such that I will have another excuse to justify a trip out that way. Also, is The Gun Shop the little store that everyone complains about down the road from Mega Sports or is there another small shop in that area?

I just drove past it tonight. It is still under construction.

It is at I-55 and Rte 30 On the north side of Rte 30 and east of 55. It is right next to the new Outback Steakhouse.

You can see it from 55.

I cannot wait for it to open, lots of fun stuff there!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Link to Peoria Sale

I stock up on Wolf ammo at the Princeton gun show.
I think the guy said he is from Kankakee (sp?).
Anyway, he beats GM's prices on Wolf ammo like crazy.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link to Peoria Sale

I stock up on Wolf ammo at the Princeton gun show.
I think the guy said he is from Kankakee (sp?).
Anyway, he beats GM's prices on Wolf ammo like crazy.

I try to get my ammo at the Princeton, IL gunshow, but he wasn't there this spring and the next gunshow there at the fairgrounds isn't until the last weekend in October. That's too much time to wait, for me.

WIZZO

BTW, I still haven't made it down to the Peoria Gander Mountain. Been working too much.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#48]
[old fogie]I remember when Gander Mountain had their world headquarters & shipping warehouse in Wilmot, WI, just over the line from IL 173.

If they didn't have your size on the floor, they'd holler in the back "HEY JIMMY... GIVE ME A XC4758 IN A TEN ANNA HALF WIDE". The little window would open, and a box would appear with a "here ya go".

Presto... your boots, in a 10 1/2W.

They had an outlet store, too, where you could buy like new stuff cheap as hell.

Some folks said they used to take the stuff back with no questions asked. Rumor has it that unscrupulous folks would outfit for a whole huntin' trip. use their stuff, then send it back, claimin' they didn't like it for one reason or another. Gander would givee 'em their money back, and sell the stuff at the outlet.

Went up there a few months ago.

Storefront's still there, but that little window is boarded up now.

The outlet store is gone.

And the once mighty holds everything an outdoorsman could want warehouse?
It's owned by a dollhouse company.

I need to take my nap now... [/old fogie]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top