Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 3:48:22 PM EDT
a few of my friends invited me out on a camping trip in a few days to fish creek wash out in the Anza-Borrego wilderness area.but after all the research ive done (ive never been there) it looks like its a four wheel drive only area,and they want to take a honda civic out there.i really dont want to be stuck out in BFE and miss work,has anyone ever tried driving/camping out there in a car?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That area is very big and I don't remember Fish Creek, however, every road that I've driven on up there should be driven with a truck/4WD/AWD.  If it's a lower vehicle, at least make it something like a Subaru.  You might get lucky right now as conditions are dry, but the roads are all dirt.  There are parts that are impassable to regular cars (very large dips that require large ground clearance; soft, muddy ground that you car will sink in).  Some of the roads are very narrow, and you won't be able to U-turn.  If two trucks meet one another, you'll see the tracks of one jumping off road.

A Civic is the last thing I would want out there.  It's not no-man's-land, but it's pretty far from any metropolitan center, and towing will be expensive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen 2wd cars and mini vans further in fish creek so it can be done. You should have no problem making it to the first primitive camp ground about 1/4 mile in. I would not go further than that. Camp ground is in on the left. No shhoting allowed though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
i didnt expect we would be able to make it all the way through the wash,just far enough in to be able to camp and get out safely.thanks for all the advice and pictures guys.

is there anywhere in the area where shooting is allowed?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting is not that far away but you are in a front wheel drive car so take your chances. If you follow fish creek to the south along the railroad tracks, about a mile down you can cross the tracks and go up against the mountain shoot there. You will be on BLM land. Good luck crossing the tracks. Better yet rent a truck or a jeep for the weekend. You will have a much better time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

a few of my friends invited me out on a camping trip in a few days to fish creek wash out in the Anza-Borrego wilderness area.but after all the research ive done (ive never been there) it looks like its a four wheel drive only area,and they want to take a honda civic out there.i really dont want to be stuck out in BFE and miss work,has anyone ever tried driving/camping out there in a car?

I pulled a civic out of one of the trails leading to that area. Young couple out to see a meteor shower. They were very unprepared, had been stuck for a while and very happy to see me.

Not really a good place for cars, especially not a solo vehicle trip.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top