Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/18/2003 9:21:25 PM EDT
sorry if this has been asked before.. if I want to sell a firearm to a fellow Texan, I don't need any paperwork, forms, licenses or anything do I? I'll definely write out a receipt for us both, but is there anything that is absolutely neccesary for legality of private firearm sales/transfers???

I've never bought or sold any firearm except through FFls and i wasn't totally positive of the whole "private sale" thing..

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:13:47 AM EDT
You might want to ask to see a drivers license to make sure the person is a resident of Texas.

And yes, a receipt is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:04:41 AM EDT
thank you!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:37:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Klinger_04:
thank you!

Driver's License is NOT proof of residency.

Make sure he is not under age. I have never had a problem on over a dozen sales, everyone was easily in their 30s, and lived in DFw area. Never asked for ID or did receipts...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:34:57 PM EDT
I was the one that he sold a firearm to. He saw my DL,CCP,and also my official state ID. I work for the state of Texas. He supplied me with a reciept. The transaction went smooth and with out a problem. Only thing was I had to take my wife and daughter out to eat in Waco.
Thanks to Klinger!
Dennis
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:46:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drj3828:
I was the one that he sold a firearm to. He saw my DL,CCP,and also my official state ID. I work for the state of Texas. He supplied me with a reciept. The transaction went smooth and with out a problem. Only thing was I had to take my wife and daughter out to eat in Waco.
Thanks to Klinger!
Dennis

pleasure was all mine! sorry about being late though..

Yeah I just wanted to check here and make sure (although I was almost positive beforehand )..
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:02:52 PM EDT
I think I would want a receipt either buying or selling:

Buying: Suppose seller completes the sale, then claims item(s) stolen and gives a license plate number. He might recover the guns and give you a big hassle to boot.

Selling: No receipt; guy buys the gun and blows away the first cop he sees; no witnesses, cold case, except the record of your original purchase at Gibson's in 1986. More hassle.

It might be paranoid or worst case scenario, but I keep my receipts with my other important papers, just in case.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:04:55 PM EDT
You can always transfer it through an FFL if the thought if what might happen keeps you awake at night.
Top Top