Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/1/2009 4:15:47 PM EST
so my father in law heard the dog barking outside and the horse making noise. he looks out the window and there's a reddish colored coyote in the pen with the rat terrier in its mouth, he runs out with the gun only to see the coyote duck quickly into the woods....

couple stiches front left leg and top right neck on the rat terrier, seems to be doing okish...

first time i'd heard of reddish colored coyote before...plus the fact that it jumped the fence to get in the pen to eat the dog

keeblerelf
sitting here with 3030 in hand....waiting....
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:48:14 PM EST
Shot one outside of Woodville two months ago with my new Mini-14. 165 yards.

He didn't even know it was coming.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:01:08 PM EST
Dunno about your area, but rainfall is behind, here. A lot of critters moving in closer to water sources and food.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:42:28 PM EST
horrible downpour all day long, jumped over the 4 foot fence to get to the dog, had it only jumped over into the horse's pen, the horse woulda slaughtered it
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:46:17 PM EST
With the reddish coloration, are you sure it wasn't a fox?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:16:49 PM EST
Biologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife that I know have done studies on Urban Coyote populations which applies to rural areas now. Population increases in Texas are due to increasing food staples which are PETS. Urban areas and rural areas where pets are discard have population explosions. Being that coyotes are Alpha female packs, most hunting is done by lower females in the den. Shooting a Beta female will bring the Alpha female into heat producing a new litter to replace the missing hunter, increasing the population. To decrease the population you must kill the Alpha female or have the ATF over to your house to shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:35:49 AM EST
Around here, we either have rabbits or coyotes. Personally, I preferthe coyotes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:00:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Range_moose:
Biologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife that I know have done studies on Urban Coyote populations which applies to rural areas now. Population increases in Texas are due to increasing food staples which are PETS. Urban areas and rural areas where pets are discard have population explosions. Being that coyotes are Alpha female packs, most hunting is done by lower females in the den. Shooting a Beta female will bring the Alpha female into heat producing a new litter to replace the missing hunter, increasing the population. To decrease the population you must kill the Alpha female or have the ATF over to your house to shoot your dog.

That's vampires, dude. You're thinking about vampires...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:03:04 AM EST
....i know what a fox is...and this thing was too big for any fox i know, also dont care about alpha beta gamma rigatoni or any other type of female, i want this one with it's brains on the ground, hatchet in it's back
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:24:15 PM EST
Great . . . Zombie Coyotes!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:36:35 PM EST
Red wolf or yote hybrid?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:33:39 PM EST
definitely not a wolf, the only thing we're left with is a coyo/domestic mix, which is becoming more common from what i understand
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:49:18 PM EST
i've had issues w/ a lone coyote killin the sheep...still on the hunt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:52:17 PM EST
Were having a coyote explosion in my area. Lots of cat and dog missing from neighborhoods. To bad we can’t shoot then, being in the city and such. Just waiting for a small kid to get attacked. As for color, I have seen some with a more reddish color lately.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:55:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By KeeblerElf:
definitely not a wolf, the only thing we're left with is a coyo/domestic mix, which is becoming more common from what i understand

I've read somewhere that there are some red wolf/coyote mix packs. A friends SIL was telling him, his dad, and her husband she saw a wolf and they told her she didn't and she saw a yote . She tried to tell them she knew what she saw but they didn't budge until her husband (DPS trooper) was burning brush and nearly got plowed over by 2 deer running from what he now says was a red wolf. This is in north Grayson County close to the red.
Top Top