Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2010 2:41:59 PM EDT
does anyone know a good brand? or model? i dont have much experence with them and im not sure what to get? also i want to get the most bang for my buck so im not above getting something used or from crieglist. anyone who knows the low down?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to use it for?  Is it going to be for light duty or heavy duty use?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
kinda medium. i want it to be able to drill through 3/8 steel. but it wouldnt be used daily. just here and there when the need arises
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had a 16 speed floor model from Harbor freight for 3 or 4 years now...maybe longer. Wanted to buy American made, but the cost was simply too prohibitive.
I think I paid about $160 for it, (I think they are a bit more now), and it has given reasonably good service. I had to replace the on/off switch this past Spring, and occasionally the motor will stall when I first turn it on which results in me having to turn it to the off position, give the chuck a slight spin by hand, and then turn it on again. Dead spot on the motor armature possibly.
Even with that, I still like the drill as it serves me well for my limited use.
Harbor freight does offer extended warranties so I think you can cover something like this for up to three years (maybe)?

-Vic
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks victor. i had considerd those but was unsure of the quality. i know harbor has some great stuff at great prices.  they also have some real worthless shit at low prices. thanks for your insight on it. i think i will try it and if i dont like it i will just take it back. im a member there so i got 90 days i think.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
CurtisLR,

I've also bought a few power tools from Harbour Freight and have been very impressed with the pricepoint and the durability.  However, this is a far cry from an American name brand model, but you can purchase tool "insurance" at Harbour Freight and if your tool breaks, they give you the same one or one similar to the one that youv'e broken.  In my mind, unless  you are a die hard wood worker or machinist, it is hard to beat the pricepoint and the insurance you can get for these Chinese made tools.

...just a thought!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I went  and got a stand up drill press of at all places a garage sale, made by CRAFTSMAN, when CRAFTSMAN were made here in the US and were quality built.   this is one heavy duty well built drill press. steel table all steel  constuction, no plastic or alum. anywhere on it.

it's real sad when you can buy a old power tool built in the 70s that is far superior in construction and function then anything new made today.  oh, and best part -  only 40 bucks.  

I will put this old drill press to anything made today, and it will come out on top, despite it being used and well over 30 years old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
look around for auctions. The heavy duty used stuff is better quality than the new cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
look around for auctions. The heavy duty used stuff is better quality than the new cheap stuff.

Sad but true, applies to bench vices too. Try some vocational schools that are having auctions/sales
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not sure where you are but check out surplus industrial machine dealers.  I think one is called HGR in Cleveland.  Sometimes they ended up some smaller stuff when they buy out a shop and it will be much better quailty than HF stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went  and got a stand up drill press of at all places a garage sale, made by CRAFTSMAN, when CRAFTSMAN were made here in the US and were quality built.   this is one heavy duty well built drill press. steel table all steel  constuction, no plastic or alum. anywhere on it.

it's real sad when you can buy a old power tool built in the 70s that is far superior in construction and function then anything new made today.  oh, and best part -  only 40 bucks.  

I will put this old drill press to anything made today, and it will come out on top, despite it being used and well over 30 years old.

very true! now most tools look like they belong in a playpin. i got a very old craftsman belt sander at a garage sale for 10 bucks and it will probably outlive me. all steel with a 7amp moter. havnt got on here in a while thanks to all for responces.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
HF has a sweet ass tool cart on sale for a 100 if you grab flyer. the black one.  my girlfriend bought it for my birthday and im very impressed with  quality for the price.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top