Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/11/2011 2:48:01 PM EST
I know some states have laws that say an employer may not allow firearms AT work (inside the building/work place), but the employer CANNOT restrict employees from leaving their CC handguns locked in their cars in the parking lot.

I am sure I read that VA has a similar law but I cannot find anything to coroborate.... help?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:00:29 PM EST
I remember reading something about firearms be legal in public parking areas and roadways within/through places of employment (ie a university) but not allowed in controlled areas. So a parking lot with a gate or perhaps even one that requires a permit could probably fall into this limitation. Not exactly an answer but thats what I have.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:13:27 PM EST
If I recall that bill failed last year. Currently public street yes, employer discretion for lot. Private property rule in effect.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:15:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 5:16:26 PM EST by novaDAK]

Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Originally Posted By vtmactech:
I remember reading something about firearms be legal in public parking areas and roadways within/through places of employment (ie a university) but not allowed in controlled areas. So a parking lot with a gate or perhaps even one that requires a permit could probably fall into this limitation. Not exactly an answer but thats what I have.

that bill failed last year. Currently public street yes, employer discretion for lot. Private property rule in effect.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:16:18 PM EST
The VCDL took a different tactic this past legislative session.

Previously, the introduced legislation would have prevented businesses from being able to have rules negating our right to have guns in our vehicles on their property. This seemed to bring out their lobbyists en masse.

This year we introduced legislation that would have given businesses immunity IF THEY CHOSE to not prohibit it.

The idea was to get our nose in the tent by giving businesses a benefit without imposing an obligation (thereby giving them no cause to fire up the lobby machines). This would also have avoided the whole "your parking lot vs my vehicle" private property debate as a first step.

Sadly, the bill was stricken from the docket by voice vote:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?111+sum+HB2380

There's always next year.

If this (and other) issue is important to you, make sure to join us on Lobby day next MLK day in Richmond.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:19:54 PM EST
It's really too bad; I was hoping the revised version would go through this year...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:23 PM EST
How are they going to know unless they search your car and why would you let them do that?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:40:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
How are they going to know unless they search your car and why would you let them do that?

Why, because you might want to keep your job. If you don't let your employer search, your likely to get canned.

We really need to get the full bill passed next year after we get rid of a few more Dems. We don't need this watered down liability crap. You don't always have the oportunity to not park on your employeers property, and my car is my titled property as much as their parking lot is theirs. A vehicle is obviously a lot more of a owner controlled space than an open parking lot. I think it's entirely reasonable for that PP concern to override the other.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:14:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By tojan19:

Why, because you might want to keep your job. If you don't let your employer search, your likely to get canned.

Flip side of that is, would you want to work for an employer who wants to search your car?

I have zero problem with the concept of leaving a gun in my car in the parking lot. It's more likely to be sideswiped than it is to be searched.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:35:49 AM EST

Even better, imagine if you park on the street instead of the company's lot to avoid running afoul of their policy and get asked why you're doing so-the extra distance for exercise excuse only goes so far.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:11:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By crurifragium:

Even better, imagine if you park on the street instead of the company's lot to avoid running afoul of their policy and get asked why you're doing so-the extra distance for exercise excuse only goes so far.

I did that for 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:25:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By crurifragium:

I did that for 2 years.

Assuming I had a severe case of the Mondays and wanted to "do the whole fucking office", my office is within walking distance of an FFL which makes our no weapons policy kind of silly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:38:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By caexpat:
Originally Posted By tojan19:

Flip side of that is, would you want to work for an employer who wants to search your car?

I have zero problem with the concept of leaving a gun in my car in the parking lot. It's more likely to be sideswiped than it is to be searched.

If your job entails you being on or visiting a federal installation you don't have any choice at all.

On a side note, I got the full-on Barney Fife freak out when they spotted the surplus rocket ammo box in the bed of my truck several years ago during a random inspection. I use it to carry jumper cables, ect. I found out having not fully removed the ORD stickers was somehow bad ju-ju.
Top Top