Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/17/2008 1:51:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 5:50:24 PM EST by zino]
Im up in Antrim County (Bellaire) and i have found the perfect peice of state land to shoot all day longhere Anybody in the northern michigan area that knows of a good state spot to throw some leadhe
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:07:15 PM EST
I have never been to a range before moving down by Detoit. I lived in the UP and there was no shortage of places to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:49:12 PM EST
ive been shooting for about 20 years and have only been to about 5 different ranges a total of maybe 15 times
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:14:04 PM EST
I need to find me a good chunk o'state land to shoot on.

I am historically a range guy due to always living in suburbia.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:18:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By zino:
Im up in Antrim County (Bellaire) and i have found the perfect peice of state land to shoot all day long There is a sand and clay hill about 25 feet high set about 70 yards back from the dirt road that gets you there. I don't really like shooting ranges to begin with,(except to sight in my deer rifle) and shooting AK's just seems watered down at some range with a bunch of restrictive rules and uptight staff. State land is without a doubt superior to shooting at ranges in my opinion... what do you guys think Anybody in the northern michigan area that knows of a good state spot to throw some lead

I only go to the range when i'm at my other house in Detroit

Hey,

I go up there all the time. Can you IM me the location ?

My in-laws live in Shanty Creek.

I like going to ranges to shoot by myself with rifles. But if I'm teaching a new shooter state land/gravel pits are best.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:55:22 AM EST
Just to let you know. I wanted to shoot on state land when it wasnt hunting season like now but wanted to cover my ass so i called DNR and asked about shooting on state land. They told me if it wasnt a hunting season they can take my firearm. You may wanna call and see if they changed this law as it was 10 yrs ago i called(got my own land to shoot on).

Be safe
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:47 AM EST
There is some state land called Hoosier Valley just south of Traverse City that people shoot at a lot.

If you have any interest in a club / range check out Chain O' Lakes Sportsmans Club (www.colsc.org) down near Mancelona. That is where I shoot USPSA and they have a good facility and have lots of plans for the future. It is a private club so there is no "range nanny" and as long as you practice common sense and safe gun handling you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By flashbag:
Just to let you know. I wanted to shoot on state land when it wasnt hunting season like now but wanted to cover my ass so i called DNR and asked about shooting on state land. They told me if it wasnt a hunting season they can take my firearm. You may wanna call and see if they changed this law as it was 10 yrs ago i called(got my own land to shoot on).

Be safe

Possum cops can make up / interpret a lot of it as they go along...having a license....identifiable / artificially constructed target....attempt to take 'game'...specific land use rules, and on and on.

Technically you need a small game license to trap mice in your own house. Don't let them catch you setting an empty rifle in the bed of your pickup truck either (as in using it for a table), as that will be construed as an uncased weapon in a vehicle and you are obviously trying to mow down herds of deer with the assistance of a motor vehicle.

Careful with the greenies. They will find you doing something wrong...because the laws are written to make something about everything illegal. Hell, even in thecleaner's post about his little slice of heaven in the UP he had at least one violation in it, and he's LEO.

I've hunted dozens of states, more than a handful of dountries, and a few continents. I've interfaced with lots of Conservation Officers and Rangers. Michigan takes the cake. Use at your own risk.
Top Top