Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
I want my gf to meet me at Uwharrie one of these days, but she lives in Charlotte. can anyone give me some directions from Charlotte, around the UNCC area to Uwharrie? thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:56:38 AM EDT
Pick up 24/27, and you can easily do that off the 485. 24/27 is the Albemarle exit. Head north on 24/27, and in Albemarle, where the Lowe's and Belk's is on the right hand side, watch out, as 24/27 takes a sharp right.....follow what is now 24/27/73 into Uwharrie Nat'l Forest, and in Troy, take the 109 NORTH BYPASS (not the 109 SOUTH right after/under the RXR tracks before Troy.....follow 109 on out, once you cross over Uwharrie River's Bridge, the turn off is just after it.

The family and I spent the weekend up there, had a campsite right on Badin Lake all to ourselves, and had a great time. Next weekend is trigger time!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:33:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mike_556:
Pick up 24/27, and you can easily do that off the 485. 24/27 is the Albemarle exit. Head north on 24/27, and in Albemarle, where the Lowe's and Belk's is on the right hand side, watch out, as 24/27 takes a sharp right.....follow what is now 24/27/73 into Uwharrie Nat'l Forest, and in Troy, take the 109 NORTH BYPASS (not the 109 SOUTH right after/under the RXR tracks before Troy.....follow 109 on out, once you cross over Uwharrie River's Bridge, the turn off is just after it.

The family and I spent the weekend up there, had a campsite right on Badin Lake all to ourselves, and had a great time. Next weekend is trigger time!

Hey Mike, how long does it take you to get to the range once you get on Albemarle Rd.? I usually take 49 all the way down and come in from the north side down the Badin Lake rd (597) and it takes me around 1 1/2 hour from the Lake Norman area.

Thanks,

Joel
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:48:36 PM EDT
how long does it usually take you Charlotte guys to get there?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:52:08 PM EDT
hmm, camping. that's a good idea. maybe i'll take the GF camping there one of these days for a couple good days of shooting. that'd justify the long drive better too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:53:43 PM EDT
its only about a hour and half from the university area
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:01:06 PM EDT
If I don't stop off at that wally world in Albemarle for WWB and whatever else, it only takes me about 60 minutes from Matthews--so by the time I pick up 485, it's only about 45-50 minutes to get there going that route.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:08:17 PM EDT
ouch! i thought it was closer than that. haha. maybe i'll just have her come here (Greensboro) and then we'll just drive there together.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:09:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mike_556:
If I don't stop off at that wally world in Albemarle for WWB and whatever else, it only takes me about 60 minutes from Matthews--so by the time I pick up 485, it's only about 45-50 minutes to get there going that route.

Thanks, I'll try that route the next time I go. Sorryt to hijack your thread Ds, but I hope this info is helpful to you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:12:51 PM EDT
it takes me longer to get to g'boro than to the range, but that's because i revel in twisty two lanes and drive sanely on the highway. Unfortunately she'll be on the road for a little while either way. I do like the camping idea, its a pretty neat park.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 1:17:54 PM EDT by mike_556]
jdgiii,
I was just at the south shores of Lake Norman this past week (inspecting this poor young girl's home that started settling )--I took the 73 west after coming up the 485 then 85 to get to her home--I'd have to look at a good map at the office tomorrow for the best route from Norman--I also had a site to inspect in Cabarrus Co taking the 49 eastward off the 485, through Huntersville and all, I know the 73 runs through there as well....

I just know (so far) that my route I take is the most direct that I know of from my location.....

Joel, without driving it (49), it might be pretty close to being the same driving time wise...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:59 PM EDT
I saved these from a couple of years ago:

"Take 85 North to 49 North.
Cross 601 (about 14 miles from 85)
Cross 73 (about another 6 miles)
Cross 52 (about another 11 miles)

At Badin Lake Rd. turn Right (about 40 miles from 85) There are 2 gas stations on the right. A BP and a Chevron.
Go to stop sign,(about 6 miles) turn right on 109 N
A couple of miles you'll come to the "town" limits of Eldorado and you'll come to a BP station on the right.
About a 1/2 mile past the BP is the entrance to The UwHarrie.
Turn right on the gravel rd.
Stay on the "main" road about 2 miles . The range is on the left.
Park, get out of vehicle, shoot.
Repeat step 3 as necasary(sp)"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:40:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

At Badin Lake Rd. turn Right (about 40 miles from 85) There are 2 gas stations on the right. A BP and a Chevron.
A couple of miles you'll come to the "town" limits of Eldorado and you'll come to a BP station on the right.

Those are the directions I posted a cuople years ago. I was gonna post 'em again but couldn't find them.
I've been told the mileage is off just a little ... but it's close enough.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:21:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By caveman:

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

Those are the directions I posted a cuople years ago. I was gonna post 'em again but couldn't find them.
I've been told the mileage is off just a little ... but it's close enough.

iirc it was very, very close.
Top Top