Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:21:39 AM EDT
I am interested in getting involved in some DCM competitions.  Where in ohio are they held?  Do any of you guys do this and could you tell me how one gets involved?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Follow the Linky www.odcmp.com/
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My club holds monthly service rifle matches. Click on this link for more info.
YRPC
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I know of two toward  the SW corner...

Miami Rifle & Pistol east of Cincinnati

and

Pickaway County Sportsmen Club  just outside of Circleville.

Pickaway has at least for the ones I've been to put on a decent show and the match Garand I got to use the one time makes mine seem like a slingshot covered in mud.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You must be looking for NRA Highpower Matches.

You can only shoot in three (four if you shoot in the National Trophy Individual Match) "DCM" (actually the Civilian Marksmanship Program) matches per year.

You can shoot as many NRA Highpower matches as you want, as often as you want.  There are a few minor rule differences, but if you are going to shoot with an AR in Service Rifle configuration, the differences are minuscule.

Miami Rifle & Pistol has a full scheudule of NRA-approved highpower and long range matches up to 600 yards, as well as a whole lot of less formal club matches.  MRPC is also the only club in Ohio offering CMP Excellence In Competition Matches outside of Camp Perry.

MRPC is also the only civilian range in all of western Ohio with a full regulation course 600 yard range for Highpower.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am interested in getting involved in some DCM competitions.  Where in ohio are they held?  Do any of you guys do this and could you tell me how one gets involved?

What part of Ohio you from?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in central ohio right now; I honestly just want to get into some sort of shooting competition to hone my skill; I'm in school though, I can't afford a real target rifle or anything like that.  I thought if maybe I could find one I could justify keeping the ar15 I built, which is why I thought DCM (I also just like military style competition without all the fancy equipment).  If not, I might sell it and either try to buy a pistol or a nice target .22 rifle.  Although, .22 is just not as satisfying to shoot as something that has a little kick and report.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm in central ohio right now; I honestly just want to get into some sort of shooting competition to hone my skill; I'm in school though, I can't afford a real target rifle or anything like that.  I thought if maybe I could find one I could justify keeping the ar15 I built, which is why I thought DCM (I also just like military style competition without all the fancy equipment).  If not, I might sell it and either try to buy a pistol or a nice target .22 rifle.  Although, .22 is just not as satisfying to shoot as something that has a little kick and report.

Let me provide some reality here.

There is no DCM.  The DCM disappeared in 1996 and was replaced by the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

The CMP has "Games" for as-issued Garands and Springfields and "Excellence In Competition" matches for ARs, Garands, and M14 clones.  In all of those matches "fancy" equipment is allowed.  By fancy equipment I mean a shooting coat, spotting scope, shooting mat, shooting glove, handloaded ammo, etc.  You can certainly participate without some or all of it, and you should because it won't make any difference at first.  New shooters in Highpower Rifle NEVER come in and dominate, no matter how much fancy gear they have.  Just shoot to have fun and get the gear slowly as you can afford.

The big thing you need to understand is that you can only shoot in THREE CMP Excellence In Competition Matches a year.  You can shoot in four IF you also shoot in the National Trophy Rifle Individual Match at Camp Perry.  That's it.

Fortunately, the NRA has a Highpower Rifle program that is shot in thousands of clubs around the country.  You can shoot in NRA HP with a bone stock AR, a tricked out AR, or a completely unmilitary rifle like this one (which happens to be mine): .  
You can shoot with all the fancy gear, or makeshift stuff.  And you can shoot in as many NRA HP matches as you want.

If you are closer to Cinci than to Columbus, Miami Rifle & Pistol is the way to go.  If you live close to Columbus, Zanesville Rifle Club might be closer.

If you want to shoot at Miami, let me know and I will help you get started.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, this is about par for the course.  For every twenty guys who say "I want to shoot DCM/Service Rifle/Highpower" on average ONE is serious enough to show up at the range.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Could be that he was overwelmed by the info in your above post and moved on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
SWO_daddy, what kind of fun matches do they have and when are they.
I live in blanchester off rt 28, have heard alot about M R P Club, thought
I might check it out sometime. Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Are you actually serious?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SWO_daddy, what kind of fun matches do they have and when are they.
I live in blanchester off rt 28, have heard alot about M R P Club, thought
I might check it out sometime. Thanks for any info

They are ALL fun.

We have several highpower matches per month , one where scores get sent into the NRA, and one or two that are just club matches.  They all run about the same in terms of fun.

We also have bencrest and "varmint" shoots, which I find boring in the extreme.  But maybe you'll like them.  Only one way to find out.

MRPC schedule
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you actually serious?

Very serious.   You made it sound like a very serious thing instead of the fun that it is.    As you mention later there are club matches that are less structured and rule intense and that is what most people really are after.   I have shot high power as well as small-bore and 10m air rifle and know that if you don’t have the equipment that you really don’t have a chance to be competitive score wise.  

The first guy I shot with 6-7 years ago said of my scores while shooting a stock CMP Garand:  Change to a stock Bushmaster and you’ll increase your score in this range of points, upgrade the trigger and it will go up around this many, coat and so on.  All was dead on and matched the difference I experienced going from the NRA loaner air rifles, adding a shooting jacket then to a match air rifle when shooting in college as the team got started up.

You’ll notice that one of the places I recommended was MRPC and that was only on the basis of what I’ve heard of the place from you and others.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider the brief explanation I gave about HP to be "overwhelming".

But maybe my "overwhelming" meter is calibrated differently.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have shot high power as well as small-bore and 10m air rifle and know that if you don’t have the equipment that you really don’t have a chance to be competitive score wise.  

Then you should also know, and mention, that a newbie to highpower is NOT going to be "competitive" and set the world on fire even if he buys half of the crap in Creedmoor's catalog including a T2K.

Highpower (and to an ever greater extent Smallbore and Air Rifle) is not a sport for those seeking instant gratification.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider the brief explanation I gave about HP to be "overwhelming".

But maybe my "overwhelming" meter is calibrated differently.

His response was that he was looking for something without the gear, you came back with

Unfortunately, this is about par for the course.
  Not exactly encouraging IMO.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted: His response was that he was looking for something without the gear, you came back with

Unfortunately, this is about par for the course.
  Not exactly encouraging IMO.

Nice creative editing.
His response was that he was looking for something without the gear.  I came back with:

Fortunately, the NRA has a Highpower Rifle program that is shot in thousands of clubs around the country. You can shoot in NRA HP with a bone stock AR, a tricked out AR, or a completely unmilitary rifle like this one (which happens to be mine): .
You can shoot with all the fancy gear, or makeshift stuff.

Whatever.  Those who are serious will make the effort to find the sport.

ETA: Those who have actually taken me up on my offer to introduce them to HP have found out that I will help them in any way possible.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]
swo_daddy im working on it just finding time dont keep me out!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
swo_daddy im working on it just finding time dont keep me out!!!!!!

You know where to find me...  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Geez, busy for a couple of days and some of you are already knocking me down.  I am not looking into getting into serious competition.  I'm a college kid, I have other stuff to worry about, I just wanted some information on how I could give it a shot when I have the time.  As it is, I work 30 hours a week, on top of going to school and work with bible studies about 15 hours a week.  So I can't necessarily check this forum every day or travel 150 miles just to shoot.  When I get out of school maybe I'll do some serious competition, until then I just wanted to get my feet wet and get a feel for it.  

The closest place to me would be Pickaway; miami is too far right now.  Pickaway looks like it only has a 100 yd range though (I can go to delaware for that).  I want to learn how to shoot at 300 yds plus; The problem is, i work every weekend unless they feel extra generous and give me a day off.  So, briar rabbit would be unavailable unless I get a group big enough for them to open on a week day.  Are the miami shoots only on the weekends or do they have any weekday shoots?  Do i have to be a member to compete in the NRA competitions?  I ask because it would be too much to get a membership and only be able to make the drive a couple times a year.

I'm not expecting to tear it up and even come close to winning... All my rifles have iron sights, and all are basically military issue bolt action rifles from the 40's or earlier, excluding my ar15.  Not to mention, I don't get to shoot a whole lot with my schedule.  LIke I said, I just want to have fun with it and get my feet wet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Sparkle,
 I know what you mean.  I have also been looking for a fun, informal type match to participate in.  Unfortuneately I have not really found any.  All the matches I've showed up to have felt a bit stuffy.  I am probably a bit more competetive than most in nature and play all kinds of sports.  I was hoping that I could find a shooting sport that I could show up to without a team and a million dollars worth of equipment and be amongst others that were on the same level as I am.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Are the miami shoots only on the weekends?

Yes

Quoted:  do they have any weekday shoots?

No

Quoted: Do i have to be a member to compete in the NRA competitions?

You do not have to be an MRPC member to shoot in ANY of our matches.  You do have to be an NRA member to shoot in our monthly (1st Sunday of the month) NRA-approved HP match.  You do not need to be an NRA member to shoot in any MRPC club match (Navy match (offhand @ 200 yds and prone @ 600 yds), sporter rifle, varmint, black powder).
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I am not looking into getting into serious competition.  

You can make NRA Highpower as serious or as easy going/casual as you like.  It is a very individual sport.

Quoted:
The closest place to me would be Pickaway; miami is too far right now.

Go to Pickaway, I'll explain why next.

Quoted:
I want to learn how to shoot at 300 yds plus;

The easiest way to become a good 300 yard shooter is to first become an excellent 100 yard shooter (prone position, irons).  Then you can move back to 300 and add the last ingredient: mastering the wind.  By nailing your position shooting at 100 yards you have an ironclad base that will carry over to 1000 yards.  Don't think that HP shooting at 100 yards is easy.  The NRA 100 yard HP targets are pretty humbling.  If Pickaway being closer means that you can shoot more often, then go there.  There is no substitute for trigger time.  And find some of the best shooters at whatever club you go to and pick their brains.  I guarantee that you will get some serious coaching that way.

Quoted:
All my rifles have iron sights, and all are basically military issue bolt action rifles from the 40's or earlier, excluding my ar15.  

You can't use scopes in NRA Highpower or CMP matches, so pick whichever of you rifles tickles your fancy.

Quoted:
LIke I said, I just want to have fun with it and get my feet wet.

Follow the advice above and go whenever you can.  You will get your feet wet and you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the help and info, it is much appreciated.  I've got some logistics to figure out, and then I'll decide where to go.  Someone mentioned something about a zanesville club too, is that just the briar rabbit range or are they a different entity?  If they are, where can I find information about them?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Someone mentioned something about a zanesville club too, is that just the briar rabbit range or are they a different entity?  

Zanesville Rifle Club holds their matches in a 300 yard range on DNR land south of Zanesville proper.  I forget the name of the range itself, but it is not Briar Rabbit.

Quoted:
If they are, where can I find information about them?  

Zanesville Rifle Club
Vince Jiga - Highpower
Rt. #1, Box 340
Macksburg, OH 45746
(740) 783-4801
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top