Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:04:31 AM EDT
I was looking at the schedule of classes for the Oregon Firearms Academy and the carbine course is in June. I was hoping that I could attend it but ...... no vacation slots are available then. I have another year gone by that I dont get to take a carbine course.

Is anyone here going?
Anyone been to one?

I have had no formal rifle training since I got out of the AF in 91. I did have better than most while there as I was an SP and did go to ABGD. I just havent had any civvie training at all.
To anyone who's been to one: What sort of things are covered? Is it worthwhile?

I'd love to go to Thunder Ranch but it's just not affordable to me right now. I hope to go though in the next few years.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:40 AM EDT
I'm signing up for the carbine class. Don't really like the two-day schedule but there does not seem to be the TR I and II as listed in the class list. I have heard too many good things about this class to not make the trip. Having trained at OFA on five different occasions I know it will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:06:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:24:02 AM EDT
This was done through another Oregon site last summer: oregonconcealedcarry.com

It was a great place to get together and meet fellow site members. One problem is that there are varying levels of experience, especially in the field of professional training. That being said, the class was basically a Defensive Handgun I class shortened into about 4-5 hours vs. the full 8 hour class.

It still was a great time but keep in mind it is very structured with range officers and the like. Now, if a group of people have credentials on prior training then this would be interesting. We could set up a combo carbine/handgun class, or ???

If enough interest is shown, people could show documentation of minimum training requirements, and we could agree on class format or interest, I would be willing to contact Dan at OFA and see what we could do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:13:31 AM EDT
You may want to also look into Firearms Academy of Seattle. It's not actually in Seattle. It's about half way from Portland to Seattle so I don't think it would be too unbearable for most. I believe Stokes and some other WA locals have attended various classes there and seem to have good reviews.

www.firearmsacademy.com/
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=216891

There are also others up north who have looked into setting up special classes. You may want to cross post there if you try to get something set up. Pooling resources might be good no matter which location is finally decided.

Some archived threads on the subject:
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=199457
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=196543
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=175650
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=176744

Some recent threads on the subject:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=212311
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=213325
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 1:29:05 AM EDT by Mr45auto]
I'd be very interested in any of the course that arent during the summer months. 8 years on the job and I dont have enough seniority to get any time off during the summer

I will check further into this one in April
www.firearmsacademy.com/fas7.htm

Does anyone know if the rifle 1 class is a prerequisite or just if you need it?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:43:04 AM EDT
I've taken several classes this year at OFA and recommend it. There is a high level of professionalism and the varied backgrounds of the instructors add many perspectives to the course material. Several other board members have been in classes with me, but 45Glockman is the only one whose screen name I remember. Also, most OFA classes have some accreditation for LE training. I'm not sure how it works or what your requirements are, but I know all the LE guys at PR1 and I think the 2 day def carbine class got some sort of training credit. You'll know more about that than me. I have not trained with Firearms Academy of Seattle, but have taken a course at Insights. Insights was good, but I only met 1 instructor. All the instructors also seem to be of similar background. That's not necesarily a bad thing, but I feel the varied backgrounds add depth to the instruction and material.

As far as comparing to Thunder Ranch, Both Rick Benson and Dan Abbot have completed Clint Smith's instructor certification, and base their defensive carbine on his classes. I haven't been to TR OR, so I can't tell you how similar/dissimilar they are.

What's covered: Starts off with basic weapon operation, review of sight alignment, trigger reste, etc. Progress to malfunction drills, move/fire, use of cover, firing from positions other than standing- NOT highpower positions. The overall level of skill and progression speed of the class will determine how advanced the curriculum gets. We got into movers, shoot/no shoot and some team tactics. So if you can, bring your wife. It's a good chance to get some experience working together. I think we got 2 force on force runs with-gasp-airsoft and one live fire with a 9mm AR. Room clearing/building entry was covered and will make you seriously consider not doing it. Discussion of legal aspects from a lawyer. The trips through the Adjudicator have me seriously thinking about getting into airsoft. It is not an intense pace, but there is not really any slack time either.

ARs are common, but other rifle types are welcome. We had 1 FAL, everybody else had ARs. Lots of accesories are bad, unless you're in excelent shape, they get heavy fast. You won't need any mag carriers or anything like that, but some sort of dump bag is usefull for loose ammo and empty magazines. A Camelback is a good idea, though I didn't use one.

If you can swing it, do it. Check on the training credit and try working your supervisor from that angle.
Top Top