Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT by Latoilette]
Well, this story goes back three days. I was at my friend's house which is about 3 miles away from my apartment.

three days ago. My friend and I were just enjoying the weather outside (in front of his home) when this guy came up to us.

he said, "hey, my car broke down and I need some money to get a cab." His clothes were all dirty, his eyes were crazy, and there was just something about him that was not right. I didn't give him anything.

Yesterday..about 12:15am (after midnight) someone was peeping inside my apartment, so i went straight for my SW 500 (which is my home-defense weapon). And I didn't turn on the light or anything. about 20-40 seconds later, he knocked on my door. (i think he was testing to see if he can break in if no one answered).

I wait a second, make myself calm. and I pop open the door with my SW 500. It scared the crap out of him. and it was the same guy that i was three days ago at my friend's place. He said the same thing about his car broken down and need money for cab ride. He was all high, couldn't speak straight, crazy eyes, same clothes as three days ago. and what makes it worse is that it's 12:15am.

I told him something like...freeze, I don't believe you, what the f are you doing in my apartment past 12... and something like... don't you ever come around here, if i see you again, I have no problem shooting you, closed door, called 911. gave them a thorough description of him...5'8 130 pounds, caucasian male, dirty blue jeans, white t-shirt, my name, street address, and the direction he was headed.

what a freigtening experience... what if i wasn't home? what if i didn't have a gun? what If i was a helpless girl without a gun? what if? a lot of things could have gone wrong. but i am still safe and I love my SW500. b/c if i am gonna shoot someone for self defense, they are gonna get hit with a 400 grain bullet with 2600 ft/lb muzzle energy.

Oh, I live in Athens. place called Laurel Oaks Apartment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:24:15 AM EDT
Was his name Bobby? Was this person with him?

Even a crackhead will remember which door has the gun behind it...... i bet it is the last time he "prospects" in your building.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:27:27 AM EDT
Would I be correct saying you have a homeless/transient drug user problem in your apartment complex?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cohutt:

LOL

Seriously, although I am a firm believer in Fox Lab 5.3, if it came to violent encounter with a drugged up thug, I'd go straight for a firearms. This way, it's a fool proof method to ensure the incapacitation.

And Latoilette, you need a 12 ga. No need to bust up the entire neighborhood with the Hand Kanone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DOUGHERTY03:
Would I be correct saying you have a homeless/transient drug user problem in your apartment complex?

yes + peeping through windows at midnight
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:15:26 AM EDT

Even a crackhead will remember which door has the gun behind it...... i bet it is the last time he "prospects" in your building.

sorry, different person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:16:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Graziani:

LOL

Seriously, although I am a firm believer in Fox Lab 5.3, if it came to violent encounter with a drugged up thug, I'd go straight for a firearms. This way, it's a fool proof method to ensure the incapacitation.

And Latoilette, you need a 12 ga. No need to bust up the entire neighborhood with the Hand Kanone.

I like my hand cannon method of self defense. SW500 will do the job and it was proven last night.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:36:08 PM EDT
A pump shotgun makes a distinct sound when the action is cycled. That being said, I have a 1911 as a primary home defense weapon, but I am thinking of adding a 12ga just for home defense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:03:46 PM EDT

My Bentley broke down... can you give me some money for some crack a cab?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:33:07 PM EDT
Always check this website, before you rent an apartment.

Apartmentratings.com

The shit you will read on there is amazing...........what's sad, is some of these slum lords are my clients.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:37:25 PM EDT
My guess is that he will now case your place... watch you leave, and break in to try and steal the gun to swap for $40 worth of crack...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:14:58 PM EDT
well I know one thing - the next time I visit my friends at UGA, do a few lines of coke and dress up like a bum for a night on the town, I'll be sure not to knock on your door!

On a serious note, I definately passed out in an apartment in your complex one wild night about a month ago --- Athens is TOO much fun
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:29:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By birdbarian:
www.jossip.com/gossip/whitneyhoustoncrack.jpg

My Bentley broke down... can you give me some money for some crack a cab?

if i hadn't started it I'd be saying "dude, that's so cruel".....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
That's not cruel it's funny.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:51:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:55:29 PM EDT
with a weapon like that, i'd be afraid it go right thru him, the elephant standing behind him, through 2 or 3 brick walls and kill someones dog before coming to a rest a mile or so away..

shotgun would seem a more appropriate weapon for an apartment.

isn't the 500 sw designed for griz?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:05:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EntryTac:
My guess is that he will now case your place... watch you leave, and break in to try and steal the gun to swap for $40 worth of crack...

Bingo.

Discretion is the better part of valor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:38:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:

Bingo.

That's my thinking, there is no way in hell I would open my door to a complete stranger that late at night, S&W500 or not. I'd tell him through the door to get the F*** off my property (or the F*** away from my apartment) and call the po-po. I would not want to give a crack team of crackheads an easy entry into my home.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:48:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:51:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigPhil:
A pump shotgun makes a distinct sound when the action is cycled. That being said, I have a 1911 as a primary home defense weapon, but I am thinking of adding a 12ga just for home defense.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:05:08 AM EDT
Latoilette,

I also live in Athens. Last year I lived over off MLK in some duplexes called Timberline. I got broken into twice in three days. Stupid bastards didn't even look under the bed. They did haul off with my laptop, DVDs, etc on the first break-in. So after the second break-in, I took a silouette target out to the range, shot it up, and duct taped it to the back door so they could see it before they kicked it in again. Cops finally caught them breaking into another duplex. Ended up being a bunch of kids b/w the ages of 10-17. They had broken into 20something apartments in three weeks. Ridiculous.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT by Latoilette]
That's my thinking, there is no way in hell I would open my door to a complete stranger that late at night, S&W500 or not. I'd tell him through the door to get the F*** off my property (or the F*** away from my apartment) and call the po-po. I would not want to give a crack team of crackheads an easy entry into my home.

at this point, he was just about to break in (that's the picture that was in my head) so decide to take him by surprise which worked well. at this situation though, If he didn't freeze and started to come inside, is it self defense?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 10:27:53 AM EDT by jmarkma]

Originally Posted By Latoilette:

at this point, he was just about to break in (that's the picture that was in my head) so decide to take him by surprise which worked well. at this situation though, If he didn't freeze and started to come inside, is it self defense?

Short answer, yes. If he is forcibly entering its not really any different than if he were all the way through the door.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:53:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 11:24:28 AM EDT by EntryTac]
Fugged this post up editing it somehow... See post #2 on page 2 for the redo... Sorry...

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:01:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HK_Shooter_03:

Originally Posted By BigPhil:

img66.imageshack.us/img66/8016/shotgunmegaphone2et.gif

LMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:12:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:13:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
EntryTac, thanks!

s0ulzer0, you're still here?

No problem.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:22:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:

Originally Posted By BoilingToad:

Originally Posted By the_reject:

Bingo.

Agree with these guys.

Also, you didn't point the weapon AT the guy, did you? I forget the term for it, but I believe pointing a firearm at a person crosses the line from brandishing (a misdemeanor in GA) to aggravated assault or some such felony. Can I get some help from our po-po on this please?

O.C.G.A. 16-11-102 ( Link w/case law ) says it's a misdemeanor to intentionally and unjustifiably point a gun or pistol at another...

O.C.G.A. 16-5-21 ( Link w/case law ) says you have to assault as outlined in 16-5-20 as well as sections 1, 2, and/or 3 under part a of 16-5-21.

So yeah, the scenario outlined in this thread could constitute Agg Assault if he had pointed the gun at the crackhead. The warrant affidavit coiuld read something like this...

A person commits the offense of Aggravated Assault when he or she commits an act which places another in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury with a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. To wit: Latoilette pointed a Smith & Wesson 500 revolver, which when used against a person is likely to result in serious bodily injury, at Joe, placing Joe in fear of immediately receiving a voilent injury in the form of a gunshot wound.

The higher courts are starting to look closer at the events that led up to the use of deadl;y force. If you conduct yourself in a manner that they decide led to you having to use force when it may have otherwise been avoided you may be screwed. Imagine yourself on trial for shooting Crackhead Joe after you opened the door and confronted him with a gun, rather than keeping the door locked and calling 911. Then imagine the jury hearing your case is made up of soccer moms that won't even allow a gun in their home and gun hating democrats. The prosecuting attorney, or the plaintiff's attorney in the civil suit portrays you as an insane gun nut who is itching so bad to shoot somebody with this 500 magnum handgun that instead of doing what a reasonable person, which by the way is what the asshats on the jury believe they are, would have done. If the entire jury would have cowered in the bathroom behind the toilet and called 911 from their cell phone to let the government handle defending them, then you, sir, have just become some lunatic in the eye of your so called "peers" that will ultimately decide your fate.

Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't defend their castle above and beyond simply defending themselves from those who break in. In fact I believe quite the opposite. My property is an extension of my home, and it is MINE. I should be able to protect ALL that I own. The sad truth is that these days you or I could end up in prison and losing everything we have if we do end up using force and "could have avoided it" in the eyes of the asshats judging us. Sad, but true...

And another great point to make is that even a gun owner and likely a self defense rights supporter, Boiling Toad, saw what you done as not being something he would reasonably do. That's something to think about. If someone who supports your rights can see unreasonableness in your actions just imagine how the soccer moms and democRATS will see it. I'm a huge supporter of self defense rights and even I think that a scenario where you yelled to Joe through the door that you had called the Police, he kicks the door in, and you shoot him on the stoop outside your door would be a much "cleaner" shoot. You're really stepping out there when you "Cowboy Up" and confront the maggots these days. The odds of being judged by people who think nobody else needs guns because the police have them is simply too great.

ETA: I somehow fugged up my previous post. Here it is again...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:25:53 AM EDT
And this is how my warrant affidavit above SHOULD have read...

A person commits the offense of Aggravated Assault when he or she commits an act which places another in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury with a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. To wit: Latoilette pointed a Smith & Wesson 500 revolver, which when used against AN ELEPHANT is likely to result in serious bodily injury, at Joe, placing Joe in fear of immediately receiving a voilent injury in the form of a gunshot wound.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
Would the law apply any differently if he turned out to be a coke addict?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:27:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Latoilette:

Originally Posted By DOUGHERTY03:

yes + peeping through windows at midnight

There are several things you can do to "harden" your dwelling/area. It will involve some work and a little money. I worked in Decatur one summer as a security guard before I got hired by GCSD. I would deny them safe haveen/hiding spots on the property and in the area. One of my favorite things to do was finding the little shacks, sheds, and empty houses they live/sleep in and spray it down with OC (Oleoresin Capsimum). Not that sissy mace shit and not CS. Get the Mark 9 dispenser and coat their bedding and interior of the shacks they sleep in. Or if you can just tear the shacks down. Get with the apartment manager (if you live in an apt) and have the doors resecured to the basements and mainenence areas they will try to squat in. Plant pointy and noisy bushes under your windows and keep them trimmed so they don't block the view of the actual window. If the little shitstain wants to get close to your window let him have to deal with the holly bush and the sharp as hell leaves to get to it. hem

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:26:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
Top Top