Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 12:55:37 PM EDT
anybody here know what would happen *if* one was caught with a concealed weapon in wisconsin?  A game warden threatened one of my friends with a $200 fine, but was nice enough to just give him a warning.  would your weapon be confiscated? or just a fine?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
anybody here know what would happen *if* one was caught with a concealed weapon in wisconsin?  A game warden threatened one of my friends with a $200 fine, but was nice enough to just give him a warning.  would your weapon be confiscated? or just a fine?

pageing Glenn_r and FMD
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
A concealed weapon in Wi can constitutes a misdomeaner A, fines are relative to situation. If caught with a concealed take it to the WI supreme court, might need to go through channels and courts but it will probably be thrown out. The officer may confiscate the weapon first, if found not guilty, the weapon should be returned. It is not a violation which stops further possession of firearms, but it will cost money to defend. If your situation is a DNR issue, perhaps carrying during hunting, this is why we need to get CCW in this state. Spread the word to all hunters, if they want to carry concealed while hunting, like just carrying the gun into the woods.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about WI, I'm sure GlennR will know, but 1st conviction is a misdemeanor....2nd conviction is a Felony.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
*warning-- thread hijacking in process*

ok so since we're kinda on the topic, does anyone know off hand what the rules are as far as open carry here? i also live in milwaukee if that makes a difference

alright then- resume previous thread topic!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
WI statutes do not have a law saying open carry is permitted like Arizona, but nor does is have a law stating it is not permitted. Hunting would be outlawed if no open allowed. With that said, then carrying in the open can be done, but many officers would try to charge you with "disturbing the peace". Which would be throw out...this has been done. In Milwaukee you will need to check local ordinances if it is stated no open carry in acertain municipality.
Call the district attorneys office in the county you live in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
My experience has been a fine and confiscation of the "offending" "weapon".
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WI statutes do not have a law saying open carry is permitted like Arizona, but nor does is have a law stating it is not permitted. Hunting would be outlawed if no open allowed. With that said, then carrying in the open can be done, but many officers would try to charge you with "disturbing the peace". Which would be throw out...this has been done. In Milwaukee you will need to check local ordinances if it is stated no open carry in acertain municipality.
Call the district attorneys office in the county you live in.

Actually according to an MPD officer that once posted here, Open carry in Milwaukee will result in being charged with disorderly conduct.

Local odinances prohibiting open carry are not leagl, no "political subdivision" of the state can enact a law regarding firearms that is more strick then the states laws, the only exception is for the discharge of a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
drdoolittle_1, here in WI, it doesn't matter if you have one or one hundred convictions for carrying concealed. There's no multiplicity of charges. Each one is still a misdemeanor.

However, the city of Milwaukee has been lobbying for several years to have the penalty for carrying concealed changed to a felony.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Like other posters said, class A misdemeanor.  9 months jail and $10,000 fine is maximum penalty.  Penalty imposed would be dependent on location, circumstances, and DA's and judge's attitude.  Minimum penalty would be a fine and loss of the weapon.  Repeated convictions remain class A misdemeanors, but could have penalty enhancers as a repeat offender.

Whether or not a DA would prosecute is situation and location-dependent.  We've had that debate in another thread.

HTH.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not sure about WI, I'm sure GlennR will know, but 1st conviction is a misdemeanor....2nd conviction is a Felony.....

I wasn't sure about Wisconsin. Sounds much better. Info for MN on packing.org stated second or subsequent convictions as felony.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top