Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 5:23:11 PM EDT
Hi I'm new to ARF com, my brother  just introduced me to the site.  My husband drives every morning between 2 cities for work.  At the present, we don't own a pistol. So he is carrying a large (Rambo) hunting knife.  Is it legal to conceal it in the state of NC or to carry it openly in the passenger compartment of the car while driving?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it needs to be in the open.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
§ 14‑269.  Carrying concealed weapons.

(a)       It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

And Check THIS out:

§ 14‑269.6.  Possession and sale of spring‑loaded projectile knives prohibited.

(a)       On and after October 1, 1986, it shall be unlawful for any person including law‑enforcement officers of the State, or of any county, city, or town to possess, offer for sale, hold for sale, sell, give, loan, deliver, transport, manufacture or go armed with any spring‑loaded projectile knife, a ballistic knife, or any weapon of similar character.  Except that it shall be lawful for a law‑enforcement agency to possess such weapons solely for evidentiary, education or training purposes.

(b)       Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 810, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 167; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

From:  http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-269.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like my husband will have to put that away.  I appreciate your help!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It is 100% legal for him to carry openly

He cannot carry it concealed in any manner

Open carry is fine and legal

Carry in a sheath so part of the knife is visible is legal too. Just be sure your knife is not covered up by clothing.

Just put it on the passenger seat where it can be seen and your good to go.

Or you could lock it up in the trunk where it is not readily accessible while driving.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top