Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2003 8:33:09 AM EDT
signed up for the class givin by a shop right down the street. stopped in today for an update and they told me they are waiting till after the day it becomes law because the sherriffs are trying to cash in on the $$ for classes by saying the instructor must be trained by the police academy. anyone care to comment on this? heard anything similar?

i wish they would get on with it, cause im ready. as i sit here typing im holstered ready to defend myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Go somewhere else. More and more classes popping up all-over. You don't need to get the training in the county where you live, just the permit.

I am actually getting my training at the local Police Acadamy. Actually a lot cheaper than some of the other classes up North.

That way, I am assured a CORRECT presentation of the laws, and the handout materials they provide are top-notch.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
well the guy they have was trained at the academy, i guess they just want a difinitive idea of what is required. i think the price was either 175 or 200. i have no idea where the police academy is. have you seen it cheaper priced than what im already signed up for?

im way excited, so much so i paid for a bg check on myself just to be certain im good to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Where are you located? My guess is up North (of me), judging from the price.

MSSU, Joplin, Mo. offers the class for $95. FWIW, it is supposed to be the Premier law Enforcement Training Facility in the Midwest.

There is a differenc in being "trained at the acadamy" and being a "trainer". I hope the shop just ain't out for a quick buck at the expence of customers. Be careful! Don't be afraid to ask their trainer questions, and don't be afraid to ask the sheriff questions. Your sheriff could probably tell you why this shop is not allowed to CCW train yet. Just kinda compare the stories, see if something smells funny.

I believe NRA Instructors have the go-ahead everywhere; you may contact NRA as well.

I'd be ready to cancell my check. But that's just me; I don't trust a lot of people! :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
CMMG will be charging $125...
AMMO ALLEY said $100...

Someone posted $85 in Oklahoma for a Missouri License...

Shop around, be patient...

Many from AR15.com went to the John Ross class in St.Louis for $100 - this seems to be the fair medium for the training...

In my option $125 is my limit for such training - an I'd only pay that at a place that I felt I was going to get GREAT instruction, and have fun going through the course...

If someone is going to charge $200, then they are an opportunist, and only care about the money...
Buyer beware, the training may only meet the letter of the law - at fall short of the service others are providing for your protection and benefit...
I'm sure that some trainers want you to get through the requirements and enjoy the freedom to RKBA - the charge covers their time only...
They don't want to rape you for the privilege to get a license...

$200 - NO WAY... If that was the norm for training, then I'll rather drive to Texas and get my license for $80...

As it stands, I'll get mine from CMMG, because John & Jeff are great guys, and I might get a T-shirt out of the deal...  {grin}
These guys talk my language...

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I posted the $85 for Oklahoma. At the Firing Line in Wyanddotte. They are slowly gettin' ready, but I want mine NOW! :)

They actually pointed me to MSSU.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.senate.state.mo.us/96info/bills/SB679.htm

well this says 16 hours of training. i have been hearing 8 hours wtf?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The link you've posted is not the current legislation.  The current legislation, which is on hold, doesn't require the instructor to be a LEO or LE trainer.  A mere civilian like myself, who is certified by the NRA to teach Pistol Marksmanship or Personal Protection, can teach the course.  Further, we civilians don't impose our bastardized interpretations of the law that LEO's are so fond of.  I believe that a LEO would be the last person who I'd want to learn from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top