Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 4:05:13 PM EDT
I'm planning on taking a trip up to Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge to go hiking. My friend, who lives in OK, says that there are a few predators up there (Mtn. Lions, Bobcats). I'd like to know if there is anyway I can legally bring a pistol with me while I'm hiking. I'm a TX resident and do not have a CHL in either TX or OK. If it helps any, I am planning (considering it's legal) to take my .44 Colt Black Powder revolver. Maybe that will fall under an "antique" statute or something.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a thought if your partner has his CHL he could always carry 2 pistols if shit gets bad enough you actually need to use one.  I doubt legality is going to be on your mind anyway he can toss you one.  Not to mention it's illegal to kill mnt lions so if you're forced into a life/death situation you cant get it mounted anyway unless it follows you to TX's where you can shoot it legally.

I have never seen the laws governing Black powder pistols in OK so I cant give advise on this.

Theres several LEO's around hear that I'm sure can answer that.
But I would imagine legall or not if you get caught with one its going to be a big ass hassle.  $ .02

If it's legall to carry a firearm/hunt where your going just get an out of state hunting license small game and carry a longarm.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it is a big no-no. Oklahoma SDA (CCW) laws WILL not apply on Federal property. Blackpowder or not, it is still a handgun and a lethal weapon.
That being said, I would go ahead and carry a handgun, but not openly. Go concealed. If anything should happen and you need the handgun - worry about the consequences afterwards.
Better to ask for forgiveness afterwards!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#3]
when i go hiking down there i keep a hideout pistol in my pack,and at least one good knife,and plenty of water,the rangers don't pay much attention as long as you do it in a quiet manner, other than deer, elk,longhorns and other smaller animals i haven't ever seen any real preditors(not saying they're not there though), snakes are a problem this time of year also

+1 on the state laws not applying on fed. land, the little booklet that give rules and regs says no firearms

the only real problem is over around the job corp camp by lost lake area,some of the kids have been known to prowl around and there has been some cars/trucks broken into,keep anything of value out of plain sight and lock up ,most of the time that is enough of a deterent
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if it's a federal laws you have to abide by then by the letter of the law you should be OK with a blackpowder revolver "dont get me wrong if your caught with it their will be a bunch of shit" but unless theirs something written into the regs for "federal parks/whatever this is" that says no blackpowder it's not a firearm unless they have changed the law and I don't know it.

My suggestion would be to read the regs that govern where your going but a blackpowder revolver isn't a firearm unless they changed the laws and I haven't heard about it.

Be forewarned their are some places that have passed laws against the carrying of blackpowder revolver's / if i recall correctly their classifying them as a deadly weapon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I always got a gun somewhere close to me when I leave the house, especialy if I'm venturing out into the woods, visions of poor ned betty in deliverance flash outta the back of my mind everytime I see someone I don't know slinking around, bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing bing-bing, make'm squeal louis, make'm squeal, boy you sure got a purdy mouth.
look out for them  hickory nuts sneaking around in SE. OK, cause their probably making meth out in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
you get a 180 dollar ticket for having a closed container of beer on the refuge..im an LEO in the area and some of thoose rangers have no idea what officer discresion means.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always got a gun somewhere close to me when I leave the house, especialy if I'm venturing out into the woods, visions of poor ned betty in deliverance flash outta the back of my mind everytime I see someone I don't know slinking around, bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing bing-bing, make'm squeal louis, make'm squeal, boy you sure got a purdy mouth.
look out for them  hickory nuts sneaking around in SE. OK, cause their probably making meth out in the woods.

I with you Ndenway!!, I've heard to many stories and shi* about
people getting killed by ALL kinds of predators!!!(even 2 legged ones)
Just look at unsolved crimes (or something like that) on tv
seems like at least a dozen or so I can remember started off with
" a vaction hike in *** woods trail"
Bet yer ass I'd be packin in more than one way!

If you aint there to start any crap then you have no worries!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top