Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:25:06 AM EST
new policy...

XXX prohibits all persons who enter XXX property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. This policy applies to all XXX employee, contract and temporary employees, visitors on XXX property and customers. The only exception to this policy will be law enforcement officers, security guards or other person who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon on the property.
All XXX employees are also prohibited from carrying a weapon while in the course and scope of performing their job for the company, whether they are on Company property or not and whether they are licensed to carry a handgun or not. The only exception to this policy will be persons who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon while performing specific task on XXX’s behalf. This policy also prohibits weapons at any Company sponsored events.

Prohibited weapons include any form of weapon or explosive restricted under local, state or federal regulations. This includes all firearms, knives or other weapons and instruments to include those covered by the law.

XXX’s property covered by this policy includes, without limitations, all XXX owned or leased buildings and surrounding areas such as sidewalks, walkways, driveways and parking lots under XXX ownership or control. Company vehicles are covered by this policy at all times regardless of whether they are on XXX property at the time.

XXX reserves the right to conduct searches of any person, vehicle or object that enter on to Company property. Pursuant to this provision, XXX is authorized to search desks, briefcase, purses, bags, vehicles parked on XXX property and any other item in which a weapon may be hidden. XXX reserves the right to conduct searches on its property or authorize searched by law enforcement on its property with or without the employee being present. To the extent, XXX Management requests the search and the employee is present, the employee may refuse the search; provided, however, that such a refusal can result in termination of employment for refusal to cooperate.
Failure to abide and comply with all terms and conditions of the policies described above will be subject to disciplinary action, up to an including terminations. Further, carrying a weapon onto XXX property in violation of this policy will be grounds for immediate removal from the Company property and may result in prosecution.
All matters relating to any of the above categories should be reported immediately to your site security manager or XXX Corporate Security and the People Services or Human Resources Department.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:39:09 AM EST
i do not think they could search your car, but they could fire you if they were not let into the vehicle to search it, citing you had something illegal in the vehicle
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:51:55 AM EST
Along the same lines.... the company I work for has all those restrictions plus say you cannot carry while on a customers premisis. Even if the customer says it is OK. Can your employer go that far????
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:19:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 11:37:37 AM EST by SilverBlack]
IdentityCrisis

They probably can go that far.

Just for the simple fact that you are paying a visit to that customer, as representative of the company you are employed by.

I have a leased vehicle that my employer provides me. And I am prohibited from carrying a firearm in the vehicle even when I'm not on the clock. Now that sucks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:21:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 11:31:57 AM EST by SilverBlack]
ooops
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:45:03 AM EST
what they do not know.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:51:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By avengeusa:
what they do not know.....

Exactly!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:07:36 PM EST
except the

XXX reserves the right to conduct searches of any person, vehicle or object that enter on to Company property

so that says they can random search at there whim and if you dont like it they fire you.

WTF is that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:12:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By russr:
except the

XXX reserves the right to conduct searches of any person, vehicle or object that enter on to Company property

so that says they can random search at there whim and if you dont like it they fire you.

WTF is that?

They can fire you anyway! They don't need an excuse...unless you had some employment contract with them that states specifically conditions under which they can fire you.

It's called at-will employment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:13:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 12:14:07 PM EST by 4get_No1]
Not just search. If I were carrying it would automatically get seized & no doubt about it whatsoever.

<­BR>

I work on an Air Force Base. They protect me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:37:48 PM EST
Yes, they can do all of the above legally. I suggest you find a new job.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:18:32 PM EST
Nah -I don't mind. Been coping what that just fine for a lot of years now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:38:23 PM EST
Russr: If you work for who I think you work for, don't surf any web sites while at work that remotely link you to firearms stuff. The company's web nazi can flag you as a good target to practice the not so random search policy on.

If I am ever injured while on company property, I am planning on suing it for "grossly" failing to provide the same level of security that I could have provided myself had it allowed me to arm myself. My argument will be that anything short of having an armed guard shadowing me everywhere I go while on company property, it has "grossly" undermined the level of security that I could have.

When it takes my gun away, it is now solely responsible for my safety.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:16:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By 4get_No1:
Nah -I don't mind. Been coping what that just fine for a lot of years now.

I was referring to the original poster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:37 AM EST
"No, you can't search my car. I would like to speak to my HR rep right now, please."
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:07:14 PM EST
Of course they can't search your car if you refuse to allow them to. Meaning, they can not use physical force to search your car or you for that matter. However, if as a condition of employment, you must submit to searches on company property upon request and you refuse, most likely you will find yourself in the soup line without recourse.
It's like entering a Govt. building or installation. To do so, it is understood and normally posted that you and your vehicle are subject to search upon request. If you refuse, most likely, you will be denied access to the property or forced to leave the property.
If you are stopped at your employers gate and requested to submit to a search and you refuse, you will be denied access to the property, yes? If you can't get on the property, you can't show up for work. If you can't show up for work without an approved excuse, you can be terminated, yes? Private property owners can set restrictions and conditions of access to their property. Vehicle searches (upon request) are not an uncommon restriction.

Short answer? No, you don't have to submit to a search but they can fire you and make it stick as long as it is a known company policy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:37:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By russr:
new policy...

XXX prohibits all persons who enter XXX property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. This policy applies to all XXX employee, contract and temporary employees, visitors on XXX property and customers. The only exception to this policy will be law enforcement officers, security guards or other person who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon on the property.
All XXX employees are also prohibited from carrying a weapon while in the course and scope of performing their job for the company, whether they are on Company property or not and whether they are licensed to carry a handgun or not. The only exception to this policy will be persons who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon while performing specific task on XXX’s behalf. This policy also prohibits weapons at any Company sponsored events.

Prohibited weapons include any form of weapon or explosive restricted under local, state or federal regulations. This includes all firearms, knives or other weapons and instruments to include those covered by the law.

XXX’s property covered by this policy includes, without limitations, all XXX owned or leased buildings and surrounding areas such as sidewalks, walkways, driveways and parking lots under XXX ownership or control. Company vehicles are covered by this policy at all times regardless of whether they are on XXX property at the time.

XXX reserves the right to conduct searches of any person, vehicle or object that enter on to Company property. Pursuant to this provision, XXX is authorized to search desks, briefcase, purses, bags, vehicles parked on XXX property and any other item in which a weapon may be hidden. XXX reserves the right to conduct searches on its property or authorize searched by law enforcement on its property with or without the employee being present. To the extent, XXX Management requests the search and the employee is present, the employee may refuse the search; provided, however, that such a refusal can result in termination of employment for refusal to cooperate.
Failure to abide and comply with all terms and conditions of the policies described above will be subject to disciplinary action, up to an including terminations. Further, carrying a weapon onto XXX property in violation of this policy will be grounds for immediate removal from the Company property and may result in prosecution.
All matters relating to any of the above categories should be reported immediately to your site security manager or XXX Corporate Security and the People Services or Human Resources Department.

1) In many states, you are an employee-at-will unless you are union. This means they can legally fire you 'because we feel like it'....

So if you say 'no' in one of those states, they can toss you.

2) In ANY state, contract law allows them to require you to sign such a weapons policy as a condition of employment. Once your signature is on the contract, you are bound by it, and they can fire you for breach of employment contract, weather you're in an at-will state or not.

3) They cannot force you to let them in beyond firing you if you refuse.

The same rule applies for any work activity.

1) They can fire you for breach of contract in any state if you sign a policy and fail to abide by it.

2) In an at will state they can fire you for any reason whatsoever except those protected under federal and state civil rights law (race/ethnicity, religeon, gender (incl pregnancy), military service, or minor disability)...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top