Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:31:05 PM EDT
Hi guys, my sisters fiance currently lives in lynwood and would like to know how to buy an ar15...

Just buy the firearm and send to FFL and he picks it up from FFL after paying fees  and undergoing a background  check etc ???
Is that about it ?

thanks

ramy

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume he is buying it online? If so the FFL here in WA needs to send a copy of there license to the shipper before they will ship it. He would be much better off buying from a dealer here in WA. For the warranty, for the goodwill and the help he might need with the firearm. Just MHO.
Dino
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi guys, my sisters fiance currently lives in lynwood and would like to know how to buy an ar15...

Just buy the firearm and send to FFL and he picks it up from FFL after paying fees  and undergoing a background  check etc ???
Is that about it ?

thanks

ramy

Don't buy online and go through a FFL, it's a pain in the ass.  Either spend a few bucks extra and go to a local store (i'm sure everyone here will recomend he make the drive to Mary's) or watch the local EE and do a face to face.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Shop the dealers first.  Buying out-of-state and having a transfer go through a dealer is quite a royal PITA if you're not experienced with the process first...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
how so?

I have bought MANY MANY guns online and transfered to my FFL, never had even a slight glitch, each and every gun was as good or better(most better) than discribed, fast shipping, easy transfers, VERY honest sellers. You can now fax or email the seller the FFL, signed blue or red ink not required anymore.

Bought a gun(another P9s 45) here thursday, it will be here 11am today(sat) easy and fast.

my FFL does not charge me for the transfers, but most do, $20-40. I just do the deal, then tell my FFL a gun is on the way.....simple.

I am all for buying local when possible....but I am a HK guy and that makes shopin local hard. Also you will save sales tax when buying out of state, but shipping and FFL fee might make that a wash(just depends on price of gun)

Don't buy online and go through a FFL, it's a pain in the ass.  Either spend a few bucks extra and go to a local store (i'm sure everyone here will recomend he make the drive to Mary's) or watch the local EE and do a face to face.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
takes 3 days turn around and you save $$$$

me - i want to buy this weapon
dealer - sure can i have your credit card
me - sure
dealer - have your ffl fax us his licence
me - sure

ffl - how can i help you
me - can you fax your ffl to this dealer
ffl - sure whats their number

me - did you get their license
dealer - yeap goes out today

2 days later

ffl - its in
me - be right down

filling out a form - 5 min
bg check - 5 min
transfer fee + tax - 30.00

me - 800.00 gun for 600.00 and no tax

happy me - sad you

Quoted:
Shop the dealers first.  Buying out-of-state and having a transfer go through a dealer is quite a royal PITA if you're not experienced with the process first...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

me - sure
me - sure

ffl - how can i help you

2 days later

ffl - its in
me - be right down

bg check - 5 min

happy me - sad you

Now that's funny...I don't care who you are.

FWIW, +1 for online sale & arraingning a transfer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]
OK had my 1st FFL transfer problem yesterday, seller didn't send a copy of his driver license.....but a call to him had it on the fax within 5 mins.

got a gun you CANT find local, saved  $100+ in sales tax, shiping was free, no FFL fee.....no driving around.........man thats was rough
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

me - sure
me - sure

ffl - how can i help you

2 days later

ffl - its in
me - be right down

bg check - 5 min

happy me - sad you

Unless you are dealing with ignorant idiots or criminals, it's not gonna work that way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Just have the guy go to a gun show at Puyallup or Monroe. Or drive to OLY Arms
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Unless you are dealing with ignorant idiots or criminals, it's not gonna work that way.

since when? maybe you need to deal with dealers that know what they are doing.

read up on your atf regs.. a faxed copy of a ffl licence is valid

and even priority mail takes 3 days.

are you drinking again before posting?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Evidentially the law has changed within the last 6 months, possibly even less.  How long have you been using this system?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evidentially the law has changed in the last within the last 6 months possibly even less.  How long have you had this system?

Been at least a year... Bought a gun just before new years, last year, this way.  FFL did mention it was "new" at the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#14]
ingorant? who?

The ATF now accepts a faxed copy of a Federal Firearms license as proof of authenticity for verification. This should help to make online firearm transactions easier and less confusing than before. A copy of the ATF newletter detailing this policy change can be viewed by clicking this link:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/0805fflnewsletter.pdf

would have copied the info....this doc is locking up my computer.....suspect the AFT is downloading my harddrive

FFL Ez Check
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Faxed valid? Sure.  Does that make the dealers accept it?  Nope.  Hell, even a couple weeks ago Sportsman Warehouse does not deal AT ALL with faxed FFLs.  Their management tells me it costs extra money and they are not going to do it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No one has asked... Is your sister's fiance american or canadian?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Faxed valid? Sure.  Does that make the dealers accept it?  Nope.  Hell, even a couple weeks ago Sportsman Warehouse does not deal AT ALL with faxed FFLs.  Their management tells me it costs extra money and they are not going to do it.

Almost all of the online dealers take them...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#18]
just about all the dealers around here accept faxed now too.  Hmmm maybe sportsmans where house managment needs to rethink their posostion or they are going to lose business.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I think this sounds a lot harder that it really is.

I'll just walk into my dealer's store and ask for an FFL copy.

They'll ask me what kind of weapon and where's it coming from.

When it arrives, I fill out the 4473, pay the transfer fee and take the weapon home.

This doesn't happen too often though, I buy most of my stuff off the EE.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Almost all of the online dealers take them...

True, but when you have one truly local gun store that does not, that makes it a 100% failure rate until I drive 35 miles away to Mary's which I gladly do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top