Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 5:31:00 PM EDT
hello all this may be a noob question but I just received my first hand gun 1 year ago and now want to get my hands on a ar15 but with all the rule in my asshole state ( California ). my question is. other then the lower. can I legally buy from a manufacturer complete uppers and stocks. etc and have delivered to my home. I know I cant get the lower with out the FFL but im doing little at a time and know very little. please help thank you
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.  As far as I understand it, you may obtain all the parts other than the serialized receiver ("the lower") through the regular mail or over the counter at a shop.

What is with this post and poster?  This is the second post from an otherwise brand new member.  This is the second recently joined member who has asked a question regarding the legalities of obtaining a firearm.  This might be a good place to ask but two posters with single digit post counts raises a flag with me.

Why not go to your local gun store - Turners, Big Five, Dick's,...  Talk to and buy from them.  A newbie might do well to seek out a local gun shop.

I guess my "Spidey sense is tingling" with these posts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like they already have a GD appropriate attitude.  But things seem to be heating up in many ways, so might be a amateur troll or an amateur that needs hekp entering in to the real world.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it's legal for you to order any and all of the parts required to assemble an AR15 in a CA legal configuration (EXCEPT THE LOWER RECEIVER) and have them delivered to your house.  However, if a vendor doesn't want to ship it to you, they don't have to.  Many vendors are confused about CA laws and choose to not sell or ship to CA addresses.  Or they just don't want to deal with anything CA related.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Im a little lost but I dd post the same question on another post here. this is the first time using a forum.  sorry
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you. I did do my home work and seen that it is legal. however I wanted to see if anyone actually did it them selfs here in California
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to AR15.com.  Enjoy your time here.

When something is legal to do and desirable to do, people will do it.  As examples - ordering parts for an upgrade or to replace broken items; getting a new upper to swap onto a legitimately owned lower (hunting versus match shooting versus home defense); things like that.

*  Please do not let my personal level of paranoia bother you.  It is not you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thank you. I did do my home work and seen that it is legal. however I wanted to see if anyone actually did it them selfs here in California
View Quote
Yes it is no problem for now, but there is current legislation that is trying to make all precursor parts have to funnel through an FFL. I Do it all the time(or used to before reg) so it is not a problem. What are you looking to get? From whom are you looking to get these parts? Lots of good industry partners still send parts because it is still legal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I currently want the RADIAN model 1. Sweet rifle
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I currently want the RADIAN model 1. Sweet rifle
View Quote
Well that might not happen unless you do one of a couple things. Get a lower made single shot pistol and slap all the parts on it(I do not have the link for the guys that do this on me right now) or get the rifle and transfer it to alphacat armory or audiophil on calguns. Have them convert the rifle with a non detachable magazine and send it to the appropriate FFL. Now that AW legislation is in effect. There is no way to get a bullet button'd rifle. But maybe you knew this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I did that’s what suck with these laws but I figured I would get my lower from them. There is a dealer here in the BayArea in Hayward. But could all the parts be purchased and then have certain components put in. Or does the entire lower re manufactured to complied to California law?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a stripped lower through an FFL and make a featureless build or do a mag-lock thing. Everything else you can presently have shipped to your door. Unless the July deadline affected any of that....
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as you are not prohibited and over the age of 18....

Yes, you can order EVERYTHING you need and have it shipped to your house. This INCLUDES the lower IF you wish to build from an 80%. Depending how handy you are... But it is NOT hard to mill even with limited tool working knowledge.

Option A: Find a local FFL and buy a stripped lower. Wait 10 days.  At this point it MUST be built Featureless OR Fixed Mag.

Option B: Buy an 80% lower, buy a jig, buy a router (or drill press) and mill your own lower. Again it MUST be configured featureless OR fixed mag AND you must apply to the CADOJ for a long gun serial number to be afixed to your lower (engraved).

Option C: Buy a Ghost Gunner personal CNC machine that will mill the lower for you. Still legal as it is YOUR equipment. However, this option is very pricey as the machine is around a grand or so USED. around 1600 with a wait time for new.

DO NOT CONSTRUCT AN AR OUTSIDE OF A FEATURELESS OR FIXED MAG CONFIGURATION.  If you configure it other then Featureless or Fixed mag, you are in possession of a Assault Weapon that is a felony according to CA Law.

Everything else as far as parts, are just that, PARTS.  Uppers, Lower Part Kits, etc etc etc.  The lower is the controlled as it is the firearm. You CAN legally build your own from an 80%, however, the above applies; Featureless or Fixed Mag WITH a CADOJ issued serial number engraved to it.

Home built 80s can NOT be sold once milled!  Once milled they become a FIREARM.  You must use your OWN owned tools. Someone else cannot mill it for you.

There is MANY options out there of vendors who still will ship to Cali. Others will not.  AND i cant blame them with attempting to figure out what the law is this week.

Watch for deals. You can build an AR for around 400. Is it top of the line, no. But do they function and are accurate, YES.  Ive built a couple 'budget builds' that shoot JUST as well as my factory AR I purchased YEARS ago.

Watch the EE for people with used but not abused parts. PSA will suck your wallet dry, youll see. :)

You will need basic tools to put your rifle together. You can find a punch set at Harbor fright for cheap that makes life easy for installing pins. AR armor multi wrenches are cheap. Vice and vice block make it easier to put your AR together but is not necessary to finish it.

Ask questions, read post, watch youtube how to assembly videos.  AR's are like the Honda Civics of the gun world. There are aftermarket parts EVERYWHERE.   Pay attention to milspec vs commercial.  You want milspec!

Once you build one, you will want to do another!

I think i covered the basics.....

ETA: I did forget to mention if you go 22LR, Rim fire is not considered an AW.   Also a NON simi automatic configuration is NOT an AW.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the only thing on an AR-15 that needs to be registered is the lower receiver.

Triggers, stocks, uppers, barrels, and everything else are open to be sold and shipped without anyone knowing... for now of course because there's legislation being put forward to register gun parts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a stripped lower through an FFL and make a featureless build or do a mag-lock thing. Everything else you can presently have shipped to your door. Unless the July deadline affected any of that....
View Quote
ONLY thing that change was you must now apply with the CADOJ for a serial number for all home builds that must be placed on your home builds.  And of course you cant register an AR as an AW now.

Featureless or Fixed mag is the only way to go now.  Unless the lawsuit gets the AW Law gets tossed in court.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ONLY thing that change was you must now apply with the CADOJ for a serial number for all home builds that must be placed on your home builds. And of course you cant register an AR as an AW now.

Featureless or Fixed mag is the only way to go now. Unless the lawsuit gets the AW Law gets tossed in court.
View Quote
Now here's another questions, since we have to register home builds, are they going to send cops after you to make sure you actually put the serial number on?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now here's another questions, since we have to register home builds, are they going to send cops after you to make sure you actually put the serial number on?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ONLY thing that change was you must now apply with the CADOJ for a serial number for all home builds that must be placed on your home builds. And of course you cant register an AR as an AW now.

Featureless or Fixed mag is the only way to go now. Unless the lawsuit gets the AW Law gets tossed in court.
I am not sure how they will verify you do it or not on the front end... I have not had to put a number on anything as I put numbers on a bunch of lowers before july 1. (Before July 1 you could make up your own serial number as long as it was within the ATF requirements for marking) However, if you do get caught with an un-serialized firearm, there is a for sure problem....
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm...
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Legislation is one thing.

Compliance is another.

Enforcement yet another, entirely different thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am not sure how they will verify you do it or not on the front end... I have not had to put a number on anything as I put numbers on a bunch of lowers before july 1. (Before July 1 you could make up your own serial number as long as it was within the ATF requirements for marking) However, if you do get caught with an un-serialized firearm, there is a for sure problem....
View Quote
I want to build a bunch of guns, but the idea of a cop shuffling around my room fiddling with my guns is really really not amusing.

Maybe I'll store them in a separate cabinet from my other gats.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want to build a bunch of guns, but the idea of a cop shuffling around my room fiddling with my guns is really really not amusing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alot of them sniffing around would also come dowm to a warrant to search, commission of a crime etc etc.

Also remember, CADOJ withdrew the regulations for enforcement of the new AW law.   So even now, its a complete shit show on how LEOs even intend or attempt to enforce the law.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems to me, things are fairly clear.  If you want to build some rifles, go ahead and do it.

1.  Buy all the parts you want.  No FFL is required.

2.  Buy a lower receiver and you need to go thru an FFL.

3.  Make a lower receiver and you need to put a DOJ-issued serial number on it.

What's the question you guys are discussing - how to break the law; how some criminal could break the law?  I don't understand your discussion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top