Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2010 7:53:22 PM EDT
I just got my first ar and Im going to be putting on a yankee hill break on it....the place I want to get it done at which I already does an awesome job, blind pins the break to the muzzle. I have just heard that silver soldering would be the more acceptable way to do it....what do I do???
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Either. In the past I have done the blind pin but think I'm going to go with silver solder for future projects.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Blind pin is acceptable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
In fact, neither is outlined as acceptable to the letter of the law. We take our chances that it will continue to be acceptable as it was under the Federal AWB. Both methods are commonly used in New York but the only option that is without doubt legal on a post ban AR is an un-threaded muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
if i put a deice on my AR...I have it blind pin welded, as of late, I prefer a crowned muzzle, then there is no damn doubt its good. the only AR I have a device on is my BCM 20in with a cav comp.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In fact, neither is outlined as acceptable to the letter of the law. We take our chances that it will continue to be acceptable as it was under the Federal AWB. Both methods are commonly used in New York but the only option that is without doubt legal on a post ban AR is an un-threaded muzzle.

If you start cherry picking which rules/regulations/opinions/interpretations issued by the ATF to administer the Federal AWB than you might as well declare all postban AR-15 "copies or duplicates of such weapons" semi-auto rifles illegal to possess in NYS.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Many NY FFL dealers sell Factory OEM AR15s with muzzle brakes or comps on them.

If your local smith duplicates one of these methods there should NOT be a problem.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey! I'm all for doing whatever we want as long as it's not hurting anyone but that wasn't the question and I'm not the DA.

Did I post anything that is untrue? If I did, then please educate me. Otherwise, I am right along side all of you with not being happy about the 'open to interpretation' nature of our current so-called "AWB". Will silver soldering my muzzle brake be enough if the Fudd at the range doesn't like my EBR? Will the responding LEOs even understand pre VS post when I've got a range bag full of 20 round Adventure Lines?

The OP has a very recent join date and full disclosure should be included with any answer we are posting on this site, anyway. Otherwise, we start to become like an internet version of 'gunstore gossip'.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Standing by for 762DM...
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Standing by for 762DM...
I doubt he'll be able to add anything that we don't already know. Except for case law, the wording of the New York Penal Law is pretty much ambivalent. Does a blind pinned & welded or silver soldered muzzle brake on a threaded barrel suddenly make the threads underneath disappear? Or does the method of attachment mean it no longer meets the legal interpretation of "capable"?
It would be nice if there was a method outlined in that section under their definition of what is an "Uh Salt Weapon" when it mentions threaded barrel but it's just not there. If we're lucky, the Officers in the State Police will see things our way but there's no guarantee that they will as it's up to an interpretation and not clearly defined, as it should be so we don't have to just take our chances.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
NYSP sets definitions, they are set by Division Counsel and the rely on Sgt Sherman at Pistol Permit. Sgt Sherman goes by BATFE guidelines and I have discussed this with him at length. Blind Pin and weld is fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NYSP sets definitions, they are set by Division Counsel and the rely on Sgt Sherman at Pistol Permit. Sgt Sherman goes by BATFE guidelines and I have discussed this with him at length. Blind Pin and weld is fine.

What about silver solder?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Blind Pin and weld
360 degree Silver Solder
360 degree weld
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Apparently NC DA Rice hasn't received that memo.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently NC DA Rice hasn't received that memo.

And people in Albany are not happy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

She did get that memo but doesn't give a flying fuck what the NYSP think.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly true
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this "memo" available in writing anywhere that one can print and have?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't thank 762dm enough for saying this over and over again.

thanks SO much for chiming in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly true

Hopefully, Sgt. Sherman is young and in good health, and may god grant him many more years in the position he is in
Mz. Rice?  The only threading and pinning she should worry about is what is in her sewing club....
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

in that case...

If it ain't in writing, his word is worthless,

Reinforcing a misconception via official title and occupation is just plain wrong,

If Sherman is so sure his view points are correct and defensible in a court of law, Sherman should issue a memorandum stating the "Official" position of the state police.

Edited to add: the above post is being 100% respectful of my "cousin's in the LE community" and not meant to stir the pot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank goodness the lead LE Agency in the state fails to opine. Thus allowing crusading DAs to run amok making up their own rules and getting those dangerous law abiding gun owners off the street.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Eight Routes of Failure for any Legal System

1. The lack of rules or law, which leads to ad-hoc and inconsistent adjudication.
  2. Failure to publicize or make known the rules of law.
  3. Unclear or obscure legislation that is impossible to understand.
  4. Retroactive legislation.
  5. Contradictions in the law.
  6. Demands that are beyond the power of the subjects and the ruled.
  7. Unstable legislation (ex. daily revisions of laws).
  8. Divergence between adjudication/administration and legislation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thank goodness the lead LE Agency in the state fails to opine. Thus allowing crusading DAs to run amok making up their own rules and getting those dangerous law abiding gun owners off the street.

Unless specifically provided for by law the NYSP are prohibited from providing legal opinions to the public. No LEA or NYS agency has the authority to regulate the penal law definition of an assault weapon.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Its been answered yet again
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
What the he'll
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I know of one local gun shop that I visited recently that was called by NYSP and told to stop attaching muzzle brakes. They were told the brakes had to come attached from the manufacturer. Nothing was provided in writing when requested. This per the owner.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#28]
In After The Lock FTW!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top