Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:32:24 AM EDT
i see there are a few guys with interest in building some ak's...  is there interest in ar building?  i have put together a few lowers and haven't worked on the upper receivers.  not that i can't learn it on my own, but i'd dig it if a group were doing it.  

i don't have enough pieces currently to do it, but in coming weeks and months i will.  how much interest is there?  i live in central iowa and would be willing to drive an hour or less to one of these functions...

anybody feel the same, different?

thanks,

s. tank

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the experience, and most of the tools to help anyone build any upper or lower. Current finances won't allow any builds in the near future, but I would be willing to travel 1-3 hours towards DM area.

list of specialized tools:
armor's wrench
Go headspace gauge
No Go headspace gauge

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i probably wont be putting another one together any time soon, but i would love to come help, watch , learn if you will.

Brett
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have built a few lowers.  A few weeks ago I switched an upper and it wasn't too hard.
I wouldn't mind helping if needed.

list of specialized tools:
armor's wrench
Go headspace gauge
No Go headspace gauge
Field gauge
punch set
upper clamp
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to attend the AR build party.  Unfortunately, I'm lazy and like the idea of just putting two halves together to make a whole.  I have taken the barrel off of my 16" A1 upper, and ruined most of my homemade tools in the proccess of uninstalling and re-installing.  Them Bushys are really torqued down tight!  I would definately enjoy a lesson on checking for headspacing and proper barrel torque settings for new builds.  Did I mention that my bushy was torqued TIGHT!      
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
i have an armorer's wrench and the guages for headspacing, even though i haven't needed them much...  i used the wrench a few times for different flash suppressors and r&r of a few stocks...  the lower doesn't appear to be any obstacle, but never having done upper, i'd feel better about some guidance on a build such as that...  i have no interest in screwing up something or damaging something simply because i didn't know or ask...  i know replacement parts aren't out of sight in terms of price, but who wants to buy it twice or get hurt when it works improperly?

i have two lowers to build that i bought last weekend.  i also would be willing to buy the parts to make an upper if everybody wants to get together to build them up and have a good visit...  if people are interested then maybe i'll buy a .20 cal barrel from superior and we can build me a .204 Ruger upper for varmit hunting...

what do you guys think?

-s. tank

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would sit around and kick back a couple of cold ones while you gents build away.  I don't mind being a voyeur, and would get a kick out of the conversation.  Don't know as I will be of much help, unless you count moral support.

Anyway, I am subscribed to the thread for the possibility that something comes of this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have all of the tools for rebarreling and assembling a lower or upper and am a certified bushmaster and H&K USP armor in the CR area.  I am also an avid AK builder.  If anyone wants to just learn how to assemble an ar fast I can help.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be interested in learning a few things as well.  I plan on building one in the near future (hopefully) and like watching things be built.  If I don't have all the parts at the time, I can definitely bring some beer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested. I have a Bushy M4 patrolman A2 that I would like to switch everything into a A3 flattop upper eventually.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be interested, sounds like a good time and with the experience of those who have replied, should be a whole lot a guy could learn.  Ya, and I like the beer thing also...   Jeff
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I would deffinately be interested in the AR conversation and comraderie, although I have no parts or fundage for a build, I would like to learn for the future.  I guess I do have a forearm that I have been unable to disassemble for a sling stud/bipod stud install.  Perhaps I could get that done.

WHEN AND WHERE???????

Craig

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, it looks like there is alot of interest in an AR build party. Any weekend in Jan. and Feb. would most likely work for me. How about anyone else? I just ordered a rec. extenstion for my coll. stock that I have been wanting to get on. I could hold off on putting it on, if I get it in time.

So what days and places would work for other people?

One more question, due to the nature of our hobby, I would say that we are going to need to meet in a place that is privitely owned, large room, and have the ability to get dirty. So does anyone have a nice garage or workshop that would like to host an AR build party?

David

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the following tools

Army Maint Manual (Torgue Values, Parts List and Illustrations, Assembly Procedure)
Lower and Upper Receiver Action Blocks
Aluminum Barrel Blocks
Pivot Pin Install Tool
DPMS Armorers Wrench (Multipurpose)
Hand Tools (hammer, punches and the like)
Torgue Wrench

Lives in Story County (Ames Area)

Lowers can assembled in less than an hour, uppers about the same time
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#15]
well i have a good set of tools, a pretty fair garage and the some other stuff...  i'd be willing to hold the event in my garage, but it isn't heated...  not a big deal when above 50 degrees, but right now...  it is a four car garage.  two wide - two deep.  maybe if we had some heaters or something...  does anyone else have a suitable work area?  

i tried warming it up for an event one other time and after two days with single propane heater i managed to raise the temp from 20 to 34...  

suggestions?  offers?

let's do this!

septic tank
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#16]
i just reread everyone's replies and had a thought...  maybe we could find a neutral spot that's friendly to a gathering.  first i thought of a small town rec center, or something like that.  they can be rented for $50 sometimes...  then i had the thought of the isaac walton league.  i'm not a member of the ike's but maybe that's the place to hold something like this.  i'm sure someone here is a member and could make some phone calls.  

we could get together and have a "build function" and maybe a honey bun with some spiked hot coacoa afterward.

weekends in February are best for me.  i know the ike's in newton ia, not far from where i live has a nice little room for things like this.  the vise needed to hold things might be the only issue i can think of.  

booger?  you know much about the ike's in newton?

what do you guys think?

s. tank

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not sure what the policy is anymore, but at one time you could rent a National Guard Armory for like $50-$100 a day. They would have tables, chairs, already heated, bathrooms and such. All you really need to do is the clean up your area afterwards. I was the Supply Sergeant at a small Armory in western Iowa for about 6 years and we would rent the building for gunshows, don't see why they wouldn't rent for a gathering of law abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional Freedoms.
If a National Guard Armory could be rented, I would advise that everyone be on their best behavior, NO LIVE AMMUNITION, no horse play, and cases brought along for the rifles to be placed in before leaving the building.
If you talk to a Recruiter, and tell him that potential recruits might be there, he might even spring for refreshments and a display to look at. Who knows?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have all of the tools for rebarreling and assembling a lower or upper and am a certified bushmaster and H&K USP armor in the CR area.  I am also an avid AK builder.  If anyone wants to just learn how to assemble an ar fast I can help.  

hondajohn is a good, knowledgeable guy, as long as you can listen as fast as he talks!  I just finished my free floating upper last night, otherwise I would be game for this little get together!  The only tool I have that wasn't listed above is:

YHM Free Float install wrench
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The idea of the National Guard Armory is a good one Septic-tank! As long as it is 20-30 miles North or South of I-35 I would definitly be willing to attend. I could possibly call my old unit in Perry and find out if they know who is full-time at which ever Armory and kinda get a referal.

The weekend of Feb. 11 is the only weekend I wouldn't be able to make, all others at the moment are open.

Come on we need more input from other people.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody have a heated machine shed?  Otherwise the two previous suggestions sound pretty good.

As for the vise problem, you can get clamp on vises.  They are not the best but I imagine they would be sufficient for the task at hand.  I think harbor freight has them real cheap.
I bought a mini one for my reloading/gun desk since there is not enough room for a permanent one, and it has worked great for everything I've done.  

My schedule is pretty tight for awhile due to my father being in the hospital, but I would like to make it.  At least to learn a few things like assembling a lower.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
the trick on the vise is easy grab a 50 pound plate weight (free weight) and drill it the vise mounts to it then you can set it on a towel on any table and you are set.  In Deep River Iowa there is a community center. I think my uncle is the mayor still so we may be able to get it fairly cheap.  It is also 10 minuets from Brownells so if we need anything last minute we can zip over during the week.  also in Montezuma there is a legion hall I might be able to line up through my grandmother.  Do you want me to look into it?  Oh yea my family has a farm very near there I think I may be able to line up an area to test fire after the building if we wanted?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The trick to the lowers is parts recognition most lowers can be completely assembled in less than 20 minuets.   The uppers are fairly fast also.    AK's take a lot more time and are in my opinion more of a PITA for a build party standard AK's take from between 2-3 hours and underfolders if building from a non underfolder receiver that is fully heat treated has taken me up to 6 hours to complete.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know how far away you all are,but my shop is in the small town of Farnhamville (southwest of Fort Dodge).

It's a heated auto repair shop with a large bench vise.I'm here 7 days a week,but saturday afternoons or a sunday would work best(I'm thinking some of you might scare the customers/locals ).Not many tables or chairs,but it would work.

I also have a 100yd berm at my house a couple miles south of town for function testing.

Michael
Bullseye Auto Repair
305 main st
Farnhamville
515-544-3203

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]

It is also 10 minuets from Brownells so if we need anything last minute we can zip over during the week.

I may be mistaken but I don't think Brownells does will calls.

I don't know how far away you all are,but my shop is in the small town of Farnhamville (southwest of Fort Dodge).

That would probably work for me.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never ran into problems in the past, but I got Glock happy right before Christmas and went browsing through Sportsman's Warehouse.  Browsing for guns with an itchy trigger finger is like shopping for groceries on an empty stomache.  Needless to say, I spent some money and my wife, for the first time, wasn't too happy.  Hmmmm, I think my AR pistol got accidentally put on a temporary hold.  It's not so much the fundage, but the idea that I'm spending more than her.  I had to get her a new cell phone just to calm her down.  I usually have to work, unless I make a point to schedule it off and nothing pops up last minute.  I would really like to show up if nothing more than to just hang out and learn for future builds.  I'll just wait to here about a when and where, before saving a day.  Who knows, maybe I'll secretly order my upper and we can have a race of who can slap their gun together first.   Dave
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It is also 10 minuets from Brownells so if we need anything last minute we can zip over during the week.

I may be mistaken but I don't think Brownells does will calls.

Brownells does.  Go in the front door go to a table fill out an order form pay the lady at the front desk and bingo in a few minuets an order filler shows up at the window and you have your items.  you cannot browse merchandise but use a catologue and order form supplied in the waiting area and you are set I have done it many times.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
+1

i do this all the time and have an account.  no problems there.  

i'm glad to see all the interest.  i just built two lowers last week.  i wish i'd have waited.  i suppose i could take them apart.  just as easy, i could buy another one.  honestly i was hoping for a location closer to des moines, but i can make somewhere farther work.  are any of the isaak walton league members have knowledge of this kind of thing?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder who I was thinking of in regards to Brownells will call?  That's nice to know in case I can't wait the one day it usually takes to get here. having
I just checked amesikes.org and it is $100.00 to rent for 8 hours + $100.00 deposit.
I don't know if this pertains to members or not.  I am not a member YET.  I am torn between
Elkhart and Ames.  Elkhart is closer for shooting but Ames has a camping area and a pond.
I wish you could join and have access to all Izaak Walton Leagues, instead of just the one you join.
I can understand why not though.  They need their dues.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#30]
It all sounds good- I am still interested.  Maybe I can find somebody to trade me for a .204 barrel...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It all sounds good- I am still interested.  Maybe I can find somebody to trade me for a .204 barrel...

were you wanting a 20 cal or did you have one to get rid of?  the guys at superior are building the .204 up as we speak.  i have an upper i'm going to get from them in Feb.  what's the scoop?

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Sorry- that was a tad vague was't it.  I have a DPMS RFA2-BULL20-A3 (.223/5.56) with less than 500 rounds through it.  I really like it but after getting the .204 barrel for my Encore this past spring I REALLY like it and I think it has great potential in an autoloader.  Just thought if I could find someone to buy the .223 barrel it would knock the cost of a .204.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sorry- that was a tad vague was't it.  I have a DPMS RFA2-BULL20-A3 (.223/5.56) with less than 500 rounds through it.  I really like it but after getting the .204 barrel for my Encore this past spring I REALLY like it and I think it has great potential in an autoloader.  Just thought if I could find someone to buy the .223 barrel it would knock the cost of a .204.
Craig

EE
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Farnhamville works great for me!!    Mike would be a great host and has a lot of good, practicle, hands on experience.  In fact, sounds like there are plenty of you that know quite a bit to learn from for those who are new to building (like me).  Plenty of room, tools, etc at the shop.

There are also cheap motels near by for folks who drive from a good distance, if needed.  

I'm willing to grill hotdogs and burgers if that 's sounds good to everyone?  Also can bring ice and coolers for cold beverages for those who wish to have one or a few?  Saturday afternoom or Sunday anytime works best for me.

I agree, we should decide on a place and set a date!  

I vote for Farnhamville.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#35]
man, this thing is starting to sound great.  i have a crew cab, so i can pick up some locals to area if they wish to ride along.  sounds like this is farnhamville thing could work.

of course i'd like to attend, if farnhamville is the place then what's the date?  i personally would like a february date.  let's throw out a couple and see what the scoop is with everyone.

maybe the second saturday in february?  conflicts suggestions?  i live between marshalltown and des moines so i can leave and head north and east or go through des moines up 141 - doesn't matter.  yammer, booger, others?  you want to jump in and go?

let me know.  i'm eager to learn the whole "upper" thing.  i've got the lower down to about 8 minutes.

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Since I have nothing to put together or take apart, I do not think my schedule should figure into when you guys get together.  I am just waiting to see how everything pans out with this, and then will probably just go with the flow.  That said, I am a weekend off person too, and the most pressing plans I have revolve around how long it takes my father to pick up optics for his new rifle.  I will be in southern Iowa whenever he decides to sight in, which could happen any time between tomorrow and June.

If I get really motivated this spring I may even throw Turkey season into the mix so I don't spend every weekend as a keyboard jockey.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I am north of 141 (North of Woodward) but, I am thinking that the second saturday of February might NOT be the best day for this... unless we are all going to bring the women-folk with us........

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#38]

I am thinking that the second saturday of February might NOT be the best day for this... unless we are all going to bring the women-folk with us........

i think i have to agree with this.  might make them a little more mad at our disease.

brett
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#39]
you'd think after being married a few years i'd start to remember stuff like that...  thanks for the heads up men!

let me consult the calendar.

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Any weekend works for me.I'm open on saturdays until noon,so it would be best after that (or anytime on sunday).

I'll also supply the pizza and pop (and anything else within reason).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I am all for either of the next two weekends. Otherwise I'm out for awhile. I also like Farnhamville, since it is very close.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#42]
well i guess i kind of started this and i find myself with many weekends i have committed.  the second weekend in feb is apparently out...  if i'd done that i'd be looking on the arfcommer exchange for a new place to live...  

is later in the spring like march the thing to do or does it get busier for everyone the closer to summer we get?  i figure if we can do this thing prior to springtime we'll be in good shape.  my brother is planning a build so i can snag a stripped lower and upper for this.  maybe a 20" stainless bull and some fancy trigger work and we can put it together for him.  i suppose i could bring along my ring lapping bar and set up the scope real quick as well.  between building the lower and upper and such, we'll surely have plenty to do.  

any suggestions?  anybody else have lowers or uppers they want to build/work on?

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#43]
i am hoping that i will need to put on a quad rail on at least one of mine.  everything else i can do on my own.  i am open all through february, but i have 2 weekends commited in march, be the 3rd and fourth weekends.

Brett
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
speaking of quad rails, you might want to ask a few questions about them to the superior guys after the DSM saturday show...  i can't say for sure, since i didn't ask if could mention it, but when i stopped through superior last week and visited, they had some very cool looking items on the R&D table...  

i just might have spied a quad rail or two....  

bb,

let's see what the others think...  i'm not opposed to a later date.  i was only concerned about getting the ball rolling and then it tapering off...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#45]
There are some brand new Superior made quad rails in existance.  There are a few things to work out so I won't say an official for sale date.  All I will say is check us out in Des Moines as there will definitely be a sample there if nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#46]
i have sent terry at superior an email, but got no reply.  i do remember hearing that there were some in the works at thte january show.  robert also mentioned something about them on the phone, i sure am planning on or should i say hoping to bring one home in a week

Brett
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#47]
i was the guy with the most interest in this initially, so...

in a moment of weakness and sweaty passion, i put together all my lowers and then, similar to sex, fell into a deep slumber...

sorry all, i have an addiction - one that doesn't necessarily require a support group, but regardless there are 12 steps...

if someone wants to build an upper and has the stuff required to do it, i'll make the commitment that i'll buy a lower and the kit to build it.

we don't have to do this tomorrow, or even in a month, but be thinking about it.  the lower stuff is so easy it literally is a ten minute job or less...  the upper i know little about, but suspect it to be similar.  after i learned how to do a few of these kinds of things, i've had a great deal of pleasure putting them together.  i also saved a buck, as i'm famous for be cheaper than hell...

in point of fact i found a diamond in the toilet the other day.  my wife thinks she dropped it, but i know where it REALLY came from...  

i may edit this later...  but for now i'll leave the funny stuff intact.

let's hear what you have to say about the build.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I think we are stalled on a date so, how about a different approach?  Below, I have listed the available weekend dates for the next 4 months.

Email me with the dates that "will not" work for you and I will cross them off the list.  Eventually we may, or may not, have an open date/s that will work for most of us to have a build party.  

Jeff  href=[email protected]

February- [4th and 5th], [11th and 12th], [18th and 19th], [25th and 26th]

March-  [4th and 5th], [11th and 12th], [18th and 19th], [25th and 26th]

April-  [1st and 2nd], [8th and 9th], [15th and 16th], [22nd and 23rd], [29th and 30th]

May-  [6th and 7th], [13th and 14th], [20th and 21st], [27th and 28th]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is another option. For those that will be able to make the next Iowa shoot (whenever it will be) why don't we bring some things for demonstration or bring your own project. I know there will be hurdles with this, being outdoors and all, but I think they can be overcome. Most people spend the better part of the day there, so why don't we add some options to the event. Come shoot your guns, machine guns, and learn how to build an AR.

Due to my new employement, I know I will have most weekends off until mid-March. After that I don't know.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Here is another option. For those that will be able to make the next Iowa shoot (whenever it will be) why don't we bring some things for demonstration or bring your own project. I know there will be hurdles with this, being outdoors and all, but I think they can be overcome. Most people spend the better part of the day there, so why don't we add some options to the event. Come shoot your guns, machine guns, and learn how to build an AR.

Due to my new employement, I know I will have most weekends off until mid-March. After that I don't know.

i kind of like this idea.  and congrats on landing a source of funding all things AR

Brett
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top