Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2006 4:55:49 PM EDT
i'm in pawnee county. are there any hogs in this area, anyone know?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know or I would tell you.  

Me and some boys from work are planning on going deep into southern Oklahoma soon for some hog hunting.

I've heard of hogs being in north OK: Lake Canton, Kay County, Logan County.

You might want to call up some of the local game wardens.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some here in Ottawa County, but not many because you just don't see them very often. More often than not you will just see tracks. My barber hunts them just over the line in Mo., Mcdonald County, and swears there are alot of them. People in Delaware County claim to see hogs quite a bit in the area where Elk River pours into Grand Lake, and back east of there near the state line.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Bigfoot also hunts wild hogs, so be careful when you go!
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bigfoot also hunts wild hogs, so be careful when you go!

well hell man, if your looking for bigfoot and hogs in the same area, that just means you won't see either on you little hunting trip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
posifour11...where are you at in Pawnee County?  I'm just across the line, in Noble County, near Morrison.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
outside of cleveland to the west. you're not too far off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Cookson WMA is close to me.  Last time I bowhunted there(couple of years ago) there was hog signs everywhere.  I got I nice boar during rifle season across the road from my house.  Saw 13 piglets late last spring from the front porch of my hunting cabin. Do a search for Cookson WMA.  Allen
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cookson WMA is close to me.  Last time I bowhunted there(couple of years ago) there was hog signs everywhere.  I got I nice boar during rifle season across the road from my house.  Saw 13 piglets late last spring from the front porch of my hunting cabin. Do a search for Cookson WMA.  Allen

i checked them out. they don't allow rifles above 22 rimfire. i'll be darned if i'm going against a hog with one of those.

thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
We go all the time in cherokee wma you have to use 22 or shotgun shot size has to be bb's or smaller. Get in touch with me and you can go with us anytime.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We go all the time in cherokee wma you have to use 22 or shotgun shot size has to be bb's or smaller. Get in touch with me and you can go with us anytime.

how in the world do you kill a hog with a 22. that's what i use when i butcher a domestic hog but mine are a bit more tame than these.

and what is bb size? #4?

you folks really hunt them with such small ammo? maybe i'm overestimating.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
BB's are a little bit bigger than #4.We killed one saturday useing a 10ga with #4 from 8 yards away.Missed the other two that was with her.It gets fun some times.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm willing to be wrong. it just seems to be insufficient to me.

i'll give it a try, i guess. what's the worst that could happen? besides getting eaten.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
i grew up in cleveland and now live in mannford
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
small world after all...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
i'm willing to be wrong. it just seems to be insufficient to me.

i'll give it a try, i guess. what's the worst that could happen? besides getting eaten.....

The WMAs limit it to .22 in order to control the deer poachers, since the only thing in season rabbit or tree rats, you can't use a deer rifle. Actually .22 works fine, its not like the hogs are gonna stick around and fight once they see ya.  They are more weary than cyotes.  Any sign of people and they are gone.  They are really super fast and you could'nt run (or shoot) any faster with a 30-06 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
i guess i can step up to mini mags? i'm just worried about stopping power.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
man there ain't no need for hi-cap mags, I've killed several hogs with a 22lr pistol, one shot apiece,
course they were domestic hogs and pot bellied pigs, but one pole&china weight approx. 400lbs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#18]
All I hear is how badly we need to control hogs here in Oklahoma, but we can't use a proper gun to kill 'em in the WMA's.  Where can we go to change this, or at least complain about this?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
How about some aguila 60 grain sss for hogs they will do 16'' at 200 yards in gel
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]
try boston pool the lowery 1 and 2 public areas they are there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
All I hear is how badly we need to control hogs here in Oklahoma, but we can't use a proper gun to kill 'em in the WMA's.  Where can we go to change this, or at least complain about this?

funny you should mention it. i was browsing their webpage and found this.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/storyofweek.htm
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks pipefitter. i'll try it.

maybe the locals are trying to keep them to themselves.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#23]
posifour11,

There is an outfit in Pawnee that has hog hunting available if your into guided/canned hunts www.oklahomaboarhunters.com  I have seen alot of hogs along the Cimarron River near Perkins and have heard of hogs near Tryon and Chandler just a short drive south of ya!

Good Luck

~J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top