Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2011 8:22:35 PM EDT
i want to make some of my own steel targets and am curious if anyone has done this, where can i get steel from?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Walk along some railroad tracks and pick up discarded ties.  They are fairly common.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the NJ EE search there is a guy in NJ selling ar500/600 plates precut for targets.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search on ebay for AR500
There's a guy in Salt Lake City area with a nice selection that a bunch of us here have

eta:
link
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I got mine from a seller on ebay by the name of Quality Targets.

I have yet to use it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do a search on ebay for AR500
There's a guy in Salt Lake City area with a nice selection that a bunch of us here have

eta:
link

i wish i could get his e-mail. i don't have e-bay anymore....
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're in SJ, try Fazzio's in Glassboro, they sell it by the lb here's one I made out of 1/4 mild steel plate. If you've got the skills to make them yourself, they're cheap enough to fix. Here's the one I've been playing with lately
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
And that's why you spend the extra money for AR500 steel.  I've got a 2/3 IPSC target I bought from Salute Products, that's had 1000's of rounds shot at it...  .223, .308, even my .338LM.  After a fresh coat of paint, it still looks brand-new.  No cratering at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The chains get shot apart every once in a while, but the craters don't stop it from being a usable target. I don't see fixing the chains as work, I like welding and tinkering. I suppose if that kinda work isn't your thing it'd be worth it to go find the AR500. I've got one of those also but the steel was given to me by an uncle.

I'll say this, if someones looking for a target that's made of AR500 for a durability standpoint, you'd better make sure the whole thing is, or it's pointless as the legs and chains get shot apart all the time too.

Also, something to keep in mind, I don't know what the others cost, but I've got about $15 into the above target
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're in SJ, try Fazzio's in Glassboro, they sell it by the lb here's one I made out of 1/4 mild steel plate. If you've got the skills to make them yourself, they're cheap enough to fix. Here's the one I've been playing with lately
http://home.comcast.net/~trianglechoke/targetaterc.jpg

I work for that company.

Except the store in Wall, NJ.

I still ordered a target from the internet.

Oh, and Joseph Fazzios in Glassboro has AR500 or 450 plate in stock at this time, and they wouldn't mind cutting it for you. Try to find a drop first.

That plate you posted a picture of, is sadly not mild steel. Its of some kind of hardness. I shot some 5/16" mild plate with .223 pressure 55g FMJs a few weeks ago and it looked like swiss cheese.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, I just assumed it was MS, they have a section where it's all stacked up in square plates, I just grab from that. Fazzio's is one of the coolest places up here. I'm not talking about the one that just sells metal, talking about the one down the road that sells everything under the sun AND metal! I love walking around that place.

eta thanks for the heads up on them having it, I prolly wouldn't have even asked, but I'll check and see if they have a drop if it doesn't cost too much
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh, I just assumed it was MS, they have a section where it's all stacked up in square plates, I just grab from that. Fazzio's is one of the coolest places up here. I'm not talking about the one that just sells metal, talking about the one down the road that sells everything under the sun AND metal! I love walking around that place.

eta thanks for the heads up on them having it, I prolly wouldn't have even asked, but I'll check and see if they have a drop if it doesn't cost too much

AR plate is roughly three times the price of A36 right now, so finding a drop would be the best bet. The hardest part is keeping track of whats what after its cut.
If you go in the store see if Chris Jr is around. If not see Ron or JP out back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where is this Fazzio's of which you speak? Nevermind I see the link above.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel/=arw4vu

McMaster-Carr offers dozens of type of steel , plus they located in NJ.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#14]
What about ricochets?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about ricochets?

Non issue. Most FMJ or HP and even steel core bullets just vaporize on contact. Don't shoot true AP ammo at a steel target.

For your viewing pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I still don't shoot within 50yds of steel anymore, last time I did, every once in a while we'd hear stuff zing back, It took a couple times before I realized what it was, funny thing was, it made the quintessential Hollywood ricochet noise. For the life of me I don't remember what rounds, let alone caliber it was.  Another thing is when the plates are hung by chain a lot of the energy is absorbed by the plate/chain that when it hits it the plate turns ~45˚ and in my amateur opinion I think that if it did ricochet it'd be on a safer angle to the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 4" 6" and 8" Ar500 1/2" thick plates in stock.  I am in NJ and also a member of CJR&PC.  Contact me on here if interested.  They are 80.00 picked up for a set of 3.

BTW Fazio does not stock AR500,  when I bought mine had to go to Philly.  They also do not stock it but sell 4x8 sheets only

Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have 4" 6" and 8" Ar500 1/2" thick plates in stock.  I am in NJ and also a member of CJR&PC.  Contact me on here if interested.  They are 80.00 picked up for a set of 3.

BTW Fazio does not stock AR500,  when I bought mine had to go to Philly.  They also do not stock it but sell 4x8 sheets only

Thanks Jay

Exactly was that? Like I said, I work for the them. I have been getting it the last few weeks for customers in my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top