Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 11:08:22 AM EDT
hey yall,

i catch snakes, for fun, and was wandering what florida law is on ferral animal collection. i know florida has strict laws for collecting indiginious reptiles and amphibians, what about the booming python population.

this wouldn't be something i could swing this yr., but if it's legal i would love to come visit and catch a monster! it would be the chance of a lifetime really, cause i'll never go abroad to catch a python.

thanks for any help, feel free to share any wild python stories you have!

2D2C
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Im pretty sure you need some kind of permit to own venomous snakes and other creature of the wild.. I had a friend that had pet gators, copperheads, rattlesnakes... man i hated his house. But I remember he has permits to own and catch them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
HHMMM I have never seen a wild python here in florida, I know they exist but the chance of finding one is going to be quite a million to one chance. Your better of going for a black racer, or rat snake. A 6ft black racer will give you more problems then a Boa. They'll sit up like a cobra and attack you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
From the looks of how they are reproducing, just wait a couple of years and you can hunt them in Mississippi...

Areas of the continental United States with current climate matching that of the pythons' native range in Asia.

The invasion of gigantic Burmese pythons in South Florida appears to be rapidly expanding, according to a new report from a University of Florida researcher who’s been chasing the snakes since 2005.  

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080520131750.htm

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080223111456.htm

cbs4.com/local/pythons.everglades.senator.2.685068.html

ETA:  As far as hunting/catching pythons in Florida, click HERE .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...i would love to come visit and catch a monster!

2D2C

like this?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have hunted Pyhons in the glades... have taken large Iguanas off the keys, took several Boa's off the derring estate.

You can catch them sure.. but what are you going to do with them?

I was selling them to collectors and zoos until it dried up. No -one wants them and when you catch a 16 foot burmese in the glades.... they want it dead.

They have trained beagles to hunt them in the last few years, then they kill the snake.

I would say that you should look at supplying boot manufacturers with hides.There ain't no shortage of the fuckers down here.

I still go to shark river occasionally and putz around in the bush to see if I can kick any out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info!

yeah black racers are some of the most aggresive snakes i've caught,i havn't had one chase me though

here is the only snake pic i have on line. it's a cotton mouth i cought last summer, average size.

*eta a shot of my large db water snake

mostly around here i catch cotton mouths, yellowbelly water snakes, speckled kings, and gray rat snakes. but i do find a more interesting species now and then. i currently have a yellow belly and 2 diamondback watersnakes. one of the db's was born crippled, offspring of the other one i have, and i had to force feed it for 5 months. now it eats on it's own and can almost swim. i really like nerodia (water snakes) i would love a florida banded or brown, but i wouldn't poach to get one.

i used to keep pythons when i was a teen, but now i only like catching and releasing, though i will/do keep a few. i've been catching snakes since i was a kid and i really enjoy it. i grew up in indiana and there are a ton more reptiles here.

so the link doesn't name " reptiles of concern". are pythons off limits?

as far as what i would do with it, i guess i'd turn loose a giant. maybe keep a little one if the law allowed.

2D2C
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are wanting to know about the pythons in the glades... come and get em... they are invasive exotics and are on the kill list.

they have trained beagles to track them in the park and kill them on sight.

All exotic invasives are unprotected here and can be taken at will and disposed of anywhere but back in the wild.

I used to do a bunch of exotic reptile removal down here... all kinds of shit lives here that never belonged here.

I have basilisks running around my front yard, iguanas in the trees, knight anoles all kinds of shit that is not native. I have found ball pythons, red tails, african rocks, burmese... I found a green anaconda once in a pond here.. 12 feet of it.

You never know what you are going to run across... tokay geckoes, panther chameleons, veiled chameleons, water monitors... caught 2 of them last year not a mile from the house. pretty wild.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are wanting to know about the pythons in the glades... come and get em... they are invasive exotics and are on the kill list.

they have trained beagles to track them in the park and kill them on sight.

All exotic invasives are unprotected here and can be taken at will and disposed of anywhere but back in the wild.

I used to do a bunch of exotic reptile removal down here... all kinds of shit lives here that never belonged here.

I have basilisks running around my front yard, iguanas in the trees, knight anoles all kinds of shit that is not native. I have found ball pythons, red tails, african rocks, burmese... I found a green anaconda once in a pond here.. 12 feet of it.

You never know what you are going to run across... tokay geckoes, panther chameleons, veiled chameleons, water monitors... caught 2 of them last year not a mile from the house. pretty wild.

yup. that's because idiots go to the pet stores and buy a little baby snake to act badass. then when it gets big and cumbersome they dump it in the glades.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have hunted Pyhons in the glades... have taken large Iguanas off the keys, took several Boa's off the derring estate.

I was selling them to collectors and zoos until it dried up. No -one wants them and when you catch a 16 foot burmese in the glades.... they want it dead.

They have trained beagles to hunt them in the last few years, then they kill the snake.

I would say that you should look at supplying boot manufacturers with hides.There ain't no shortage of the fuckers down here.

I still go to shark river occasionally and putz around in the bush to see if I can kick any out.

You know that Sam Andrews guy might be interested in some of the skins, he makes holsters out of some exotic stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know that Sam Andrews guy might be interested in some of the skins, he makes holsters out of some exotic stuff.

Well being in PSL it takes me a bit of fuel to get down there... no one wnats to pay for any part of them anymore... or so it seems. I f I thought I might could make a tiny profit on them i would go get them... but alas it would cost me too much to supply them for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You can sell the skins here www.furbuyer.com/Reptiles.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]

If you are wanting to know about the pythons in the glades... come and get em

thanks, and i would love to come down if i ever get a chance!

how many exotic "hot" snakes have you come across? i've seen quite a few on diff. tv shows in florida.

You can sell the skins here

.25 cents a foot no thanks.

honkytheclown, you must not remember me

2D2c
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top