Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
anyone?

I would like to start, just need to find somwhere to hunt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know four legged coyote's lived in PA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Giggle,

I understand there is a large population in the south west part of the state.  I just moved to Johnstown and I hear people talk about them all the time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Coyotes are pretty well established in Central Pa.  I can only imagine they are in western Pa too.   When I get the free time I like to go out and call some in.  They can be a challenge.  Unfortunately, I haven't been out at all yet this year.

I usually use a Crit-r-call hand call and my 870 with # 2's and a hand held  spot light. Great way to spend some early evening or late night / early morning hours.  I've often thought about getting another gas tube for one of my AR's crimping it shut and using the AR as a non repeating magazine fed rifle.  Just so folks don't think I'm goofy, you can't use semi auto rifles in Pa for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
We have coyotes in Bucks County.  2 coyotes recently killed one of my male black Australian swans.  It was about 630am when we saw it, the coyotes were chewing on him.  We took a shot at them, but it was about 160 yards out.  

From what I understand, they are legal to hunt at night and to call them in.  I'd love to hear any tips, I'm just itching to wack these guys, they've killed so many of my water fowl over the last year...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I hunt them in Cumberland and Franklin Counties. Not a ton of them around, but a huntable population.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I live in SW PA, Claysville to be exact,  and the the coyotes down here are quite numerous. It's nothing to be driving to work in the morning and see one standing out in a field. I don't hunt them personally but the guys I know that do either hunt the local game lands or obtain permission from the local farmers who are almost always willing to give the OK.  
FWIW, a friend of a friend was trapping them a few years ago and got six for the season.  They're all over down here. Darn near as many as foxes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Came across lots of these this year in Luzerne County. Even missed one during deer season two years ago. My buddy got one in archery season several years ago. Coyote population has increased all over the state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top