User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2008 4:36:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
and for this reason alone, I'd love to have a 20mm mounted on my vehicle

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
That and driving in the left lane right beside another truck............I can sympathize
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Or the people who put their empty drink containers or to go food bags in the bed of their pickup and let them blow out while driving down the road. Pick this crap up every week.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Busted windshields suck

They ticket the hell of them in my AO.  Since we have so many trucks hauling Katrina related stuff they get after them pretty good here for all unsecured loads.  They had a fire fighter drop a ladder a few years back on I-12 which caused an 18wheeler to cross the median and slam head on into a vehicle killing a mom and her two daughters returning from a shopping trip.  So they have really been out in force since then.  It is a shame that it took three deaths for them to crack down on it.

Best thing to do it note the time, location, and all the info all of the vehicle and call them and ask them to replace your windshield if they refuse file a report with the State police and make them aware of your intentions.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

these truckers send projectile rearward to you, you send one forward to them

Beer, I know the feeling man, it pisses me off too ... had one dump truck full of granite rocks for driveway almost caused a pileup on I-20/I-59 b/c he didn't bother to lock down the rear latch, so the rocks spilled out onto the interstate as he was coming merging into the interstate.  

I didn't realize how good those "fix a flat" brand really works that good but thanks for sharing that with us.  I usually let my insurance pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember, though, you may send precision fire forward, but he may unlatch the tailgate and carpet-bomb your ride with 44,000 lbs. of gravel.

Getting mad at every trucker just because a few careless drivers don't take the time to clean the tops of their bed-rails after they load, is no better than the Democrats wanting to ban our weapons because of a few nut-cases' actions. Think about that for a minute. They ALL look bad in your eyes because of a couple of them are too sorry to be safe? There is something basically wrong there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember, though, you may send precision fire forward, but he may unlatch the tailgate and carpet-bomb your ride with 44,000 lbs. of gravel.

Getting mad at every trucker just because a few careless drivers don't take the time to clean the tops of their bed-rails after they load, is no better than the Democrats wanting to ban our weapons because of a few nut-cases' actions. Think about that for a minute. They ALL look bad in your eyes because of a couple of them are too sorry to be safe? There is something basically wrong there.

He already carpet-bombed the entire Eastbound lane of the I-20/59 so what does it matter if one send projectile forware or not? ... my comment was on the humor side add on to jjoinson's remark.   And this keeping way beyond the typical disclaimer of staying back 300 feet or so  bla, bla, bla warning posted on their mud flaps or trailer gate.

+1 what Beer said, MOST dumptruck or trailer I've been behind or came across had loose projectile falling off of them, either by gravity or waiting for rough road to do so.

If you are vigilant and considerate enough to do your part as you say, then my hat's off to those truckers as professional.  Otherwise, our comments are reflecting towards truckdrivers that DON'T latch down, cover, and/or clean the rear of whatever they are hauling.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I'd continue forward after a burst anyway, too much of a debris field
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just heard today the girl from gardendale that was killed in the wreck yesterday was due to the driver trying to doage a peice of tire on the interstate.

it's WAY past time to get those damn retreads off the trucks. sure any tire can blow. but in alabama i don't think you can drive 3 miles with seeing atleast one large chuck of rubber in the road.

Is that what those are? I thought they were dead alligators.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
on the way in this morning yet another rock flying down the interstate. this makes 5 windshields in 4 years.

we can pull over speeders but god forbid they actually pull over these damn trash and junk trucks when they are dumping gravell all over the road.

Well... at least is wasnt a eighty pound concrete pineapple.My brother hit one in heavy fog.Truck was totaled. How in the hell does someone loose something like that? Oh and they are lawn or patio ornaments.Thats how I know the weight.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just heard today the girl from gardendale that was killed in the wreck yesterday was due to the driver trying to doage a peice of tire on the interstate.

it's WAY past time to get those damn retreads off the trucks. sure any tire can blow. but in alabama i don't think you can drive 3 miles with seeing atleast one large chuck of rubber in the road.

Is that what those are? I thought they were dead alligators.

We call them 'gators' as truckers, lol.  Usually these tire recaps blow out b/c truckers don't do a pre-trip inspection of tire and maintain proper inflation everytime b4 a trip - you will catch one that is about to blow and have the shop change the tire out; if not, sooner or later you will get blowouts.  ALDOT usually picks the gators up in their interval interstate cleanup but not enough as you have seen on the roads that often.

In an ideal world, you would think when your livelihood depends on the trucks moving, that one would do pre-trip inspection of one's equipments and tires.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 totally agree Beer, hence the constant vigilance of pretrip inspection by those of us that drive.  (I don't anymore - drive 18-wheelers, that is)

Hell, I still do pretrip inspection on my own personal vehicle when going on long drive (anything over 2hrs or more) ... simple things like checking for proper tire inflations, tire damage, wiping down mirrors and/or windshields, etc ....

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#18]
You could always try the main ALDOT switchboard number at 334-242-6358, or you might check with the people listed at the public affairs office if the main switchboard person is brain dead. Check this link: www.dot.state.al.us/Docs/Bureaus/Public+Affairs/EmployeeList.htm

They definitely don't make it easy to find a direct line to the enforcement people that you see stopping overweight/unsafe trucks on the road.

If none of this gets you anywhere, you might just go over to the DOT office in fultondale and ask the person at the desk to let you speak with someone. You'll definitely get action that way. I've gotten good results that way on other subjects when I couldn't figure out who to call. It's a lot harder for them to ignore you when you're standing there.  

Anyway, having worked in and around rock quarries all my life I'm no stranger to cracked windshields.

Some of the truckers are pretty good guys, but others are... well, I once heard someone describe them as the equivalent of minimum wage laborers with the brains beat out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i got a resonse back from 1 of the state reps i wrote to about this this morning.

xxx,

Thank you for your input on this serious issue.  As a father of 5 children (3 teenagers driving) I am also concerned about this problem.  There are laws on the books to prevent this, but the problem is there is not enough funding for enforcing these laws.  I will be talking to Colonel Murphy with the State Troopers and see if we can get additional enforcement regarding this problem on our interstates.      

Rep. Allen Treadaway, Dist. 51

The thing that really pisses me off is that the majority (yes, the majority) of dump trucks I see around Montgomery do not have license plates. My wifes car ended up in the shop twice in the same month because of debris from trucks. One truck had crap piled so high that is was spilling debris over the sides. Couldn't get a plate number to call the cops.

the only other response i recieved was from... Mary Moore, big surprise she just referred me to ALDOT which surprisingly has no email contacts listed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The thing that really pisses me off is that the majority (yes, the majority) of dump trucks I see around Montgomery do not have license plates. My wifes car ended up in the shop twice in the same month because of debris from trucks. One truck had crap piled so high that is was spilling debris over the sides. Couldn't get a plate number to call the cops.

Could u not take the AL DOT # of the truck, located on the driver's side door?  It's suppose to be on every truck like that and up.

Those decals atarting w/ "AL" should be 2" high.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#23]
They definitely have some less than intelligent help at the dot. Then again, considering their pay rates (from what I've heard), there's probably no way they can get people who are actually capable of chewing gum and walking at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]
OMG Last year Im behind one of these big dump  trucks at 6:15 am going 30-35 mph a 3" rock comes off an UNCOVERED BED knocks a huge star/crack I get the name and truck # .I call and talk to the owner and this Ass%# says that as soon as the rock touches the road its road debris and its not his fault nor his problem and if I didnt believe him to call the State Trooper office and ask them.This is the second windshield for me by a dump truck .JARVIS TRUCKING is the culprit F*%^##@$% SO&^%$*&^$%^.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Southern Haulers in Calera is one of the biggest culprits around here.  According to the law they aren't responsible if it hits the road.  

They have cost me 3 windshields in 5 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top