Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 7:54:47 AM EDT
Im guessing they're not legal in VA? at least I dont think they'd qualify for muzzloader season...right?   Ive seen a few nice ones but there's no point if I'd have to use it during modern firearms season.

any input?

Tee Hee Edit to calrify subject.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They're legal for muzzeloader season so far as I know. The only requirements are that it be percussion or flintlock, .45cal or above, use 50+grs of black powder or equivalent for deer and that it not be a pistol.
You probably don't see the bolt actions because they're just an unneccesary design that's darn cumbersome relative to the original straight pull "short bolt" inlines as well as the newer break action inlines.
There was no need for the additional complexity of the long bolt and striker system. The bolt muzzleloaders already have a breechblock screwed into the rear of the barrel to contain pressure, so the large bolt and striker assembly becomes redundant. The same job is easily done with a short straight pull bolt and striker assembly,rather than one that is long enough to be a centerfire rifle bolt and requires standard bolt manipulation. I think a lot of folks realized that,so we don't see too many of them compared to traditional inlines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top