Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 1:09:37 PM EDT
You would think a giant asteroid is going to smash texas tonight. Here in Tyler the stores are jammed full of people buying anything they can. It's crazy, lines 10 deep in the store to buy food. Gas station lines 6 cars deep. Maybe it's my "survival" mentality but I'm not all that woried. Hell, I'm 225 miles from the coast.

Is it just as crazy in other towns that ya'll live in?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:19:08 PM EDT
You should see it in west Houston.....

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:19:31 PM EDT
I'm in DFW and well prepped so I can't speak for here, but my dad is near Ennis, just got off the phone with him. He said the grocery was cleaned out of water, batts, etc and the gas stations were lined up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:43:35 PM EDT
To add to the stupidity, gas has jumped .15 - .25 in 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:50:18 PM EDT
Sader762 and I just discussed this offline. I'm about 30 miles from where he lives. I know we're quite a ways inland, but I think things have the potential of being bad here. Not enough to justify they hysteria we're seeing, but with any major storm there's the possibility of power outages for a day or two.

Even so, the mad rush to buy batteries and stock up on water seems silly to us.

Why?

a) We already have batteries. We always keep them handy.
b) We already have water, and/or the means to purify it in case the public supply gets contaminated
c) We already have cooking fuel and enough non-perishable food to feed ourselves and our families for several weeks.
d) We have other things that might become necessary if our neighbors figure out that we have those things and they don't.

It is second nature for us to function this way. For most of society it is not. They watch the news, the news tells them to panic, so they panic. We don't panic, because we function in or near a state of preparedness.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:13:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmallChange:

Why?

b) We already have water, and/or the means to purify it in case the public supply gets contaminated
c) We already have cooking fuel and enough non-perishable food to feed ourselves and our families for several weeks.
d) We have other things that might become necessary if our neighbors figure out that we have those things and they don't.

It is second nature for us to function this way. For most of society it is not. They watch the news, the news tells them to panic, so they panic. We don't panic, because we function in or near a state of preparedness.

+1

I do not need to get anything either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:17:28 PM EDT
I did have to go get some ground coffee, hate smashing those beens with a hammer. Other than that, as I would expect from most on this board, food water and fuel will last a good while.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:16:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:21:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:08:19 PM EDT
Damn, 6 stations just to find gas in Tyler. Stock up.

D
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:50:15 PM EDT
Hehe, I'm in Longview, and work at a grocery store (sunday is my last day, how ironic). Today was a MADHOUSE, and yes we ran out of water. I bought my water several days ago and filled up my gas tank earlier this morning.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:39:00 PM EDT
here in san marcos the only gas available is premium..i felt like a moron filling my jeep up with premium...what will the entire 12-13mpg i get.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
I live in Irving and Wal-Mart was out of water, D batteries and gas cans. At 10:30pm there was about 25 cars waiting to buy gas at the local gas station.

I stocked up on canned goods and bought 150 rounds of shotgun shells.

In the morning I am going out to buy a nice chainsaw and find something to put gas in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:21:34 PM EDT
Well......we are not known for having the most intelligent people in Tyler!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:34:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MADUCE:
I have 38.000 gallons of water behind the house. Been playing water volley ball in it most of the summer but if you guys run out I can front you some

Your either from Europe or very small.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:11:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Originally Posted By MADUCE:
I have 38.000 gallons of water behind the house. Been playing water volley ball in it most of the summer but if you guys run out I can front you some

Your either from Europe or very small.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:13:36 AM EDT
here in nw houston

saw gas jump .20 in about 2hrs
lines reaching over 10 deep
saw a rumble over cases of water at wally world
no gas since yesterday
no food no where
panic like you would not believe
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:34 AM EDT
Austin is going crazy also, The gas stations around were I work have been out of gas for 2 days now. Exxon just got gas an hour ago. Stores are out of bottle water. This storm is not really going to do anything here in Austin. People are going way over board!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:46 AM EDT
The people who are running around stupid today, have been running around stupid all their lives.

They just happen to be on TV today.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:23:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fook:
The people who are running around stupid today, have been running around stupid all their lives.

They just happen to be on TV today.

hese
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
I work for the SO here in Tyler and have to agree with what you said 100%. Its going to be intersting once the storm comes through here. Looks like long days on the streets for us.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:49:37 AM EDT
Here in my neck of the woods North Dallas people are acting like idiots!!!!!! People at the gas pump honking and yelling and doing dohnuts in the parkinglots!! WTF?? CVS was out water and some batteries aswell . Im glad I have all this shit at home. Just filled up on gas thats all.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:06:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P35Lover:
Here in my neck of the woods North Dallas people are acting like idiots!!!!!! People at the gas pump honking and yelling and doing dohnuts in the parkinglots!! WTF?? CVS was out water and some batteries aswell . Im glad I have all this shit at home. Just filled up on gas thats all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Everyone is rushing to get gas. The Walmart by my house is out of bottled water the last time I checked.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:02:32 AM EDT

Just made my final preparation - reeled in Old Glory from the front of the house.

We're in for the duration now.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:41:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmallChange:
Sader762 and I just discussed this offline. I'm about 30 miles from where he lives. I know we're quite a ways inland, but I think things have the potential of being bad here. Not enough to justify they hysteria we're seeing, but with any major storm there's the possibility of power outages for a day or two.

Why?

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:25:43 PM EDT
I had to go to the Wally World out on 183 in Austin out past Oak Knoll and ended up at an
H.E.B. instead because I got lost.
H.E.B. was a total and complete circus and a zoo at the same time.
The lines for the register were 10 deep and folks were simply sweeping food toilet paper etc
into their carts.
I would imagine things have calmed down by now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 8:42:57 PM EDT by Gopher]
Austin is going crazy also,

With the Austin City Limits festival going on I bet it's really weird in Austin this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:43:13 PM EDT
the two gas stations in twon are empty now thanks houston
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:24:36 PM EDT
I work at HEB here in Austin and people are being stupid idiots running around like chickens with there heads cut off sheeple! We sold out of water on WED. Batteries on Thu, and canned foods on Fri. Here I am on Sat, beautiful with sun and a really much needed nice breeze.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:42:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troll:
the two gas stations in twon are empty now thanks houston

your name fits you well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:29:39 PM EDT
Just saw on the news that the police are posted at gas stations to keep people from fighting. Apparently someone pulled a gun at a truck stop on 45 south in a gas line. FLying J truck stop? Just saw it on the news. I was smart and filled up early in the week. Have used the two cans that have spouts on them to top of my wife's car. The second link is apic of an auto parts store that lost its sign on Bissonnet. I bet they wish that they had parked the cars away from the building now

my personal gas station

Fallen sign

Howard
Top Top