Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2007 4:13:34 AM EDT
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4717185.html

AUSTIN — For thousands of Texans, the right to own and carry a gun is no less an essential ingredient of life than the right to own a house, a business or other piece of property.

The Second Amendment and private property rights may even edge out football and give motherhood a run for its money among the values that define the Lone Star State.

And in a Legislature dominated by conservative Republicans, guns and private-property rights have peacefully coexisted in a common political base — at least until now.

This session, business owners — who are among the biggest advocates of private property rights — are up in arms (pun intended) over legislation that would override the restrictions of many employers and allow people who have concealed handgun licenses to bring their pistols onto company property, provided they leave them locked in their cars.

The confrontation is forcing lawmakers to make an unusual choice between two potent forces — the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights advocates on one side and the business community with its deep-pocket campaign contributors on the other.

Battle rages on
So far, the guns are winning, but the shootout isn't over.

One bill, SB534 by Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, was approved 30-0 by the Senate last month. The unanimous vote was made even more impressive by the fact that the bill's opponents include such normally influential forces as the Texas Association of Business, the Texas Oil & Gas Association, Valero, Shell Oil, Chevron USA, Lockheed Martin, Marathon Oil Corp., Koch Industries, the Texas Association of Manufacturers and BNSF Railway.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What is really needed is case law where a plaintiff successfully wins a suit against an employer who restricts their employee's right to defend during commute to and from place of employment. The passage of the proposed laws would be great, but in the absense of that the rattle of the deep pockets paying a suit would serve notice as well. Nice how they want to make everyone out to be criminals. If they would only keep the criminals in custody, might not be as big an issue!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If any of you work for an employer who prohibits handguns in vehicles or if you think you ever will, do some writing to these guys, especially if they are your own representatives.  Each, including my own is getting their own copy of my thoughts on the issue.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
the bill's opponents include such normally influential forces as the Texas Association of Business, the Texas Oil & Gas Association, Valero, Shell Oil, Chevron USA, Lockheed Martin, Marathon Oil Corp., Koch Industries, the Texas Association of Manufacturers and BNSF Railway.....

hmmmmmmm I guess I'll be visiting conoco from now on
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll send letters and emails tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the bill's opponents include such normally influential forces as the Texas Association of Business, the Texas Oil & Gas Association, Valero, Shell Oil, Chevron USA, Lockheed Martin, Marathon Oil Corp., Koch Industries, the Texas Association of Manufacturers and BNSF Railway.....

hmmmmmmm I guess I'll be visiting conoco from now on

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conoco has the Oklahoma version of this bill tied up in court right now and is on the NRA boycott list. They will do the same thing in Texas I'm sure if this passes. I am surprised my employer, Verizon, is not onthat list.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
This bill sucks anyways. You have to notify your employer if you are going to be leaving your gun in your car, on their property and provide them with a copy of your CHL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone think that the VT shooting will have an impact on this legislation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top