Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2014 6:45:12 PM EST
So i drew cow elk 61 early.
I have never been in the area, this is my first big game hunt and i have just one aquintance who may have hunted the area before whom i am not really sure when i will talk to.

A basic google query would lead me to think setting up a base camp near the wildhorse reservoir and heading towards the mountains to the north east of that.

Ill be taking a week off for the hunt and should be able to squeeze in a long weekend or two to scout before then.

If any of you have good info on the area or just elk hunting in general it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:25:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2014 9:28:03 AM EST by crapshoot]
I don't know the area but can give some generalities of elk hunting in general.

Hunt the first 2-3 hours in the morning and the last couple hours in the evening until dark. Glass, glass, glass. Use binos and spotting scope to glass clearings and saddles and the surrounding tree lined areas. Thermals generally push your scent up hill in the am and down hill in the evenings.
Once they have bedded for the day, leave them be. They will usually come back in the evening to the same spot unless pushed.
Since your tag is for the early season, the bulls may still be bugling. If so, use this to your advantage. Try cow calling to get bulls to bugle and to help locate cows that may be with him. Just be mindful that doing this will bring the satalite bulls in meaning more eyes on you making it hard to move.
If it's still hot outside, you could always find a water hole or wallow and sit on it.

Make sure to bring at least one friend to help pack it out. Them SOBs are big.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:59:48 PM EST
What Crapshoot said.

For your first time big game hunting this is not going to be easy. These animals are about the size of a mid size horse.

The area you have chosen to camp is going to look like a small city come Huntin season.

I spotted a small herd last weekend but they were about four miles away on a ridge and in area 7.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:44:37 PM EST
Thanks guys,

I'm well aware it will be challenging. I'm doing a good bit of reading finding a little bit more published info on where the herds are in the area and continuing to improve fitness.

I figured the reservoir would get very crowded I'm probably going to take lighter backpacking gear and just camp out away from the horde.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:54:17 PM EST
Everybody that has a pickup will be driving close to the waterholes while you sit on them. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:15:54 PM EST
What caliber and what type of Rifle you going to use
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:16:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:17:57 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xtrastout:
Everybody that has a pickup will be driving close to the waterholes while you sit on them. Good luck.
View Quote

Yep. Spooked a guy that thought pulling your truck right in front of the water hole was a good idea. While hiding in a blind, I said "Are you going to sit there all day?" He jumped and was shocked I was there, even though he passed our parked ATV on the road.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:11:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Trapshooter12:
View Quote

I have an lr 308(ar10) its actually not rediculously heavy and i have some 180 grain soft points tuned really well to it with 16x glass. It would need some camo tape and a comfier sling. I may check out some lighter bolt guns but i dont know if i can justify the expense for slower follow up shots.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:16:44 PM EST
I actually hunted that area for cow elk two years ago, and I have a bull elk tag for it that season. On top of it I am a native of Elko county. I will send you a pm with some spots here in the next day or so.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:32:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By Obo2:

I have an lr 308(ar10) its actually not rediculously heavy and i have some 180 grain soft points tuned really well to it with 16x glass. It would need some camo tape and a comfier sling. I may check out some lighter bolt guns but i dont know if i can justify the expense for slower follow up shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All AR10s are heavy from what I have seen. You don't want that weight on our shoulder walking miles up and down mountains. Rapid follow up shots aren't really needed. Slowing things down and taking your time is a better strategy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:20:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By AndrewS:

All AR10s are heavy from what I have seen. You don't want that weight on our shoulder walking miles up and down mountains. Rapid follow up shots aren't really needed. Slowing things down and taking your time is a better strategy.
View All Quotes

well like I said I'll look in to some bolt actions, I just don't want to drop a bunch of coin on one. I guess I could get in to a savage axis for only like 259 but at 6.5 lbs I'm onl;y saving 2 pounds or so.

any other good suggestions for a lightweight rifle that wont break the bank?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:43:07 AM EST
TIKKA!!!

I'm also elk hunting in Nevada and Montana, as well as a guided Coues deer hunt in AZ. I spoke to a lot of experienced guides and hunters and was shocked how many recommended the Tikka T3 in stainless with a synthetic stock. I'd always thought of them as somewhat cheap, never bothering to realize they are made by Sako. I needed something lighter as my 7mm is a heavy mofo. The Tikka is just under 6 pounds and the action is the smoothest I have ever felt. After a little research I found they have a excellent reputation for accuracy. So I bought one from Sportsmans Warehouse here in town for around $600. Mounted a Leupold 3.5x10, cleaned the barrel and hit the range. Everyone was right. This has been hands down the most accurate factory rifle I have bought. Everything easily shot 1 MOA with many factory loads shooting well under it. My buddy shot a 1/2" with the new Hornady Super Performance load ( he also is a national benchrest competitor so I'm sure that helped).

In short the Tikka completely blew me away in terms of fit, finish, smoothness, accuracy, weight, and price. I honestly can no longer recommend someone spend more on a Remington.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:08:27 AM EST

well like I said I'll look in to some bolt actions, I just don't want to drop a bunch of coin on one. I guess I could get in to a savage axis for only like 259 but at 6.5 lbs I'm onl;y saving 2 pounds or so.

View All Quotes

An extra 2 pounds feels like a lot when you are carrying it for long periods of time.

I've got a Marlin X7 and recently bought a Ruger American for elk. Both were under $300. I haven't shot the Ruger more than to sight it in but the Marlin has been a good hunting rifle that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I was going to buy another one but its gone up in price a bit since I bought mine and I found a good deal on the Ruger which is reviewed favorably.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:33:55 AM EST
Not mine.
http://lasvegas.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/500-ruger-m77-3006/12826606
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:31:01 PM EST
i suppose I'll take the ar10 for a nice long hike while i contemplate the bolt gun and wait for more funding...

I kinda like the looks of that ruger american
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:52:04 PM EST
Again, not mine.
http://lasvegas.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/325-wts-as-new-howa-model1500-30-06-same-as-weatherby-vanguard/12880905
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:07:44 PM EST
You should buy that Howa. Damn good price on a damn good rifle that will kill everything in North America.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:03:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2014 6:08:50 AM EST by mevertsen]
I have hunted this unit during these dates when it was a muzzle loader hunt. I say hunt ALL DAY. I have seen elk all day long, and have killed 2 in the evening. One about 3 pm and the other about 6 pm. Hunt the little pockets that are away from the road as much as possible. The elk are in full rut and will be talking then... A LOT. If you need any specifics on where to go, pm me and I can help you out some more.

ETA - take the AR10 if you are comforatble with it, and don't worry about the cammo. This hunt starts on September 17, and the animals are crazy. Look EVERYWHERE, including on big open knobs in the middle of the day (hint hint). I would hunt 061 for a first time hunter as the roads are close and the hillls are not that rough. The animals never knew that my muzzle loader was black either . Thats all I can add at this point, but it will be a fun hunt for sure!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:32:51 PM EST
View Quote

It's not just the weight but how comfortably the rifle carries. Figure that you'll probably be wearing a day pack as well and having something that doesn't have squared edges, protruding grip or box magazine greatly increases the comfort in carrying it. You'll likely have it slung for periods of time or cradled in your hand.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:35:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/20/2014 7:36:33 AM EST by Obo2]
arfcom has been responsible for me purchasing most of my guns...

I've been avoiding the long hike with the lr308 due to the heat but i should just get out there.

I've played with different sling configurations for the ar15 and hiked with that pretty comfortably.

I'll have to see how things shake out, Not sure I'll be able to spring for another gun still.

Thank you all for the advice so far.

I look forward to pms back from meestermurphy and mevertsen to help narrow down location.
Top Top