Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/12/2005 2:32:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/12/2005 2:33:26 AM EDT by DJ_Kling]
OK guys, so i asked a question a while ago about pistol permit in NYC and have decided it far too large a waste of time to try and acquire one.

To make a long story short, i'm storing all my firearms in Massachusetts because a pistol permit is too much of a pain, the M4A2 and Mossbery 590DA1 are both 'assault' weapons, and defending myself with a bolt action hunting rifle isnt going to make me sleep well at night...

SO... What kind of hoops is NYC going to make me jump through if i want to get a Mossberg 500 or similar type shotgun? Do i need special permits? Register the guns? Etc? Anyone know where i go in Brooklyn? And when i can finally buy one, where there is even a gunshop?

Thanks all for the help!

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/12/2005 2:51:06 AM EDT by twonami]
Damn dude, I think the firearms laws have chased them all out. I can't think of any other than Carnival sports and Adelmans and I don't even know if they are still in business
Give these guys a call and see what they say.
Bay Ridge Rod & Gun Club Inc
6718 Fort Hamilton Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11219
718-745-1067
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:14:11 AM EDT
Yes you need a NYC rifle permit for the shotgun. You are limited to pump/autoloading shoulder stocked shotguns. Mag capacity is limited to 5 rounds. You cannot legally possess ammo/mags except for a registered rifle/shotgun.

The rifle licensing div is in Queens.

Rifle/Shotgun Section License Division
New York City Police Department
120-55 Queens Blvd., Kew Gardens
New York, 11424
(718) 520-9300
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:20:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/12/2005 4:20:36 AM EDT by twonami]

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Yes you need a NYC rifle permit for the shotgun. You are limited to pump/autoloading shoulder stocked shotguns. Mag capacity is limited to 5 rounds. You cannot legally possess ammo/mags except for a registered rifle/shotgun.

The rifle licensing div is in Queens.

Rifle/Shotgun Section License Division
New York City Police Department
120-55 Queens Blvd., Kew Gardens
New York, 11424
(718) 520-9300

I was going to put them in but my experience with NYC bureaucracy is you can't reach anyone
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:57:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:

I was going to put them in but my experience with NYC bureaucracy is you can't reach anyone

The rifle permit process has been streamlined and is acutally less of a PIA than it used to be, and permits are issued much more quickly. The downside is the cost has gone up.

RKBar15 - one minor correction. A pump shotgun is OK with a pistol grip as a non-semi-auto.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:41:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:

RKBar15 - one minor correction. A pump shotgun is OK with a pistol grip as a non-semi-auto.

But doesn't a pump in NYC still need to have a shoulder stock? I thought a pistol gripped shotgun like a PG Winchester Defender was illegal in NYC.

Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:58:37 AM EDT
How difficult/expensive is it to get a pistol permit for a commercial store in NYC? Would that be a premises permit? Do they still have premises permits? Or is there a special store owners/commercial permit?
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT

But doesn't a pump in NYC still need to have a shoulder stock? I thought a pistol gripped shotgun like a PG Winchester Defender was illegal in NYC.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=38358

I know a couple of folks with cruisers in nyc limitted to 5 rounds in tube. They are 100% straight people permits and everything...... they also have some glocks, but that's it. I'm not saying its legal cause they do it, bt these folks WOULD NOT under any circumstances break the law. I'll ask them bout the cruisers....
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:14:05 PM EDT
OK, so i go to queens, request a permit, then buy the shotgun SOMEPLACE?

I love nevada, just need a valid license... so simple

--Domenic
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:28:10 PM EDT

If it is illegal I don't know why. The only code section I'm aware of is the 10-301 definition of assault weapons. The shotgun definition only applies to semiauto shotguns, not pumps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:17:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DJ_Kling:
OK, so i go to queens, request a permit, then buy the shotgun SOMEPLACE?

I love nevada, just need a valid license... so simple

--Domenic

No. You go to Queens, get paperwork, have it notorized, give them a check. wait about a month (three weeks in my case two years ago)
When you receive your photo permit, you may purchase a rifle or shotgun. You have 48hrs to send in the completed registration form for each weapon. If you have a weapon in another state that you would like to bring into the city, you must fill out the reg form with a letter explaining where the weapon came from.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 12:08:08 AM EDT
The problem is that none of my other weapons are legal in NYC per the assault weapon ban they have, so i'll get the permit in queens and buy a Mossberg 500 for the house or something..

Stupid draconian laws..
Top Top