Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/27/2006 11:17:03 AM EDT
I am going to start reloading .223/5.56 due to the rising cost of practice ammo and factory hunting ammo not satisfying me.

1. Who has the best brass to reload? I had heard that W-W was the best.

2. Is LC brass decent for the job? I know the primer pockets require exta attention. I have plenty of this brass on hand.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:38:12 PM EDT
Starline makes good brass. Get a hold of a Weideners catalog. Go to Dillon Precision and get the primer pocket swager and you're in business for military brass. I still have tons of brass at Moms screaming to be reloaded.
Also if you're going to reload for .223 practice ammo, I recommend getting a progressive reloader. The new Wolf stuff isnt bad and theyre contracting stuff from Serbia too. We know the Serbs make good ammo and it works
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:59:26 PM EDT
Things to consider before reloading .223/5.56 ammo with GI cases.

- trimming cases
- swaging the primer pocket
- cleaning brass
- lubing brass before resizing

Most GI chambers allow the brass to stretch a bit more than a .223 chamber. This usually means that you are going to have to trim the brass the first time you reload. It can get quite expensive and time consuming. You might want to consider geting a Dillon 650 unit that can powder check, low powder warning, resize, trim and primer swage all in one machine.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:23:55 AM EDT
Lake City brass has an excellent reputation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:35:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DoctorCheney223:
Things to consider before reloading .223/5.56 ammo with GI cases.

- trimming cases
- swaging the primer pocket
- cleaning brass
- lubing brass before resizing

Most GI chambers allow the brass to stretch a bit more than a .223 chamber. This usually means that you are going to have to trim the brass the first time you reload. It can get quite expensive and time consuming. You might want to consider geting a Dillon 650 unit that can powder check, low powder warning, resize, trim and primer swage all in one machine.
thanks,
Ron

I was looking into the Dillion 500 or 550 to start with. I will be real careful to the point of OCD due to the fact that I blew up a preban Colt on someone else's reloads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:05:09 PM EDT
More proof Frenchies shouldn't have AR-15's. Stick with a FAMAS.
Top Top