Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2003 3:02:59 PM EDT
... back home, we have some superb museums, landmarks, ruins and exhibits (Arizona), but I seldom see them (Well, some of them I do).
But for example, I'll have guests come in from out of state and one of the first places they wanna see is the Confederate Air Force Museum right by my house, but noooo ... ... I've never even been there!

... Similarly, have you guys ever been to:

The Museum of Natural History
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum

... All fantastic places to spend a rainy day.

... If not, WTF are you all going on a lazy Saturday afternoon?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting 9 stages in the LIC at Pine Barrens range.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Shooting 9 stages in the LIC at Pine Barrens range.

... Rub it in. One of the things I miss the most is my safe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
just got home after another lovely 13 hour day and am heading out now.

BEen to all 3 of those museums but never been to the Statue of liberty
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]

... Similarly, have you guys ever been to:

The Museum of Natural History
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum

... All fantastic places to spend a rainy day.

... If not, WTF are you all going on a lazy Saturday afternoon?

Been to all three....to the Intrepid at least a half a dozen times. Makes a great daytrip. I was much stoked a number of years ago when they got the SR-71 on deck. I spent a weekend in MA at the Battleship Massachusetts back in 8th grade. Can you imagine a gaggle of kids getting to play 'tag' across a WWII battleship, cruiser, and submarine? Man that was fun. The very best, though, was going down to Norfolk and getting a tour of the naval base. We got a damn good tour of the USS Phoenix, Los Angeles class attack submarine SSN-702. Man, that just made my lifetime.

Hehehe...what was I doing Saturday? Sitting in a packed church in Doylestown, PA for about 10 hours listening to a preacher by the name of Father Corapi. You have NO idea how hard it is to find a preacher who will tell you that you're a sinner....
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Been to just about every large museum, zoo and military museum (Intrepid) in NY.  My favorite is by far the museum of modern art up on 82rd on the east side.  Gotta love the armor and egyptian stuff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Been to just about every large museum, zoo and military museum (Intrepid) in NY.  My favorite is by far the museum of modern art up on 82rd on the east side.  Gotta love the armor and egyptian stuff.

... this is good news to me Balzac72, I too think that the armor and antique firearms is the shnitz.

... But back to my selfish and sublime post. Gimme a place or two you gents "hold out" for your "special" guests.

... I'm getting bored!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I believe you mean the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Arguably the finest museum in the world.

The Modern is on 53rd, and is closed for renovations.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Take a daytrip and go up to see West Point, especially it's museums.

It's great. Nothing like seeing a Tokarev with a bullet hole right through it

I'd call ahead to make sure they're allowing civilians on base...I think they're letting them in in one of the gates, but the rest check for DoD stickers.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep. I think I like the Met the best, simply cause of all the ancient ancient stuff.

Intrepid is just cool for what it is, especially pointing the de-milled .50 cals at passing helicopters and boats *looks innocent*

They used to let you climb on a lot more, it seems to be getting a little bit shoddier I noticed last time I went. Staff there hardly seems to care eh...

Natural History Museum just takes so much time to get through, next time I'll go there earlier in the morning so I can see everything, as best I can.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Take a daytrip and go up to see West Point, especially it's museums.

It's great. Nothing like seeing a Tokarev with a bullet hole right through it

I'd call ahead to make sure they're allowing civilians on base...I think they're letting them in in one of the gates, but the rest check for DoD stickers.

You're allowed on base.  Just say you're going to see the museums or if that fails, tell them you're going to visit your buddy, Matthew Wilcoxen, who's a 3rd year (cow?).  He's a friend of my bro's.  

It shouldn't get that far anyway.  If you do go up there, once you get through the checkpoint and to the stop sign, if you go straight, there's a great area to picnic on the Hudson.  VERY nice day if you bring a lady along!

As far as places in NYC, I'd suggest a long walk through Central Park, starting in Columbus Circle, through the park to the east side and all the way up to the Met (thanks for correcting me!).  After the MET, you can also head back into the park, go uptown a little more and walk around the resevoir.  I'D STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS!!!  There's nothing like the resevoir to put the city in perspective!  Looking from the north side towards downtown is really a nice view!

Its the same place that was in "Devil's Advocate" when the two crackhead homeless guys killed the lawyer.

I'd also recommend Battery Park, where you catch the Statue of Liberty Ferry.  You can walk down Wall St. catch a bite to eat and bring it to the park for lunch, which was my favorite part of working down there.  

Basically, nothing beats a walk/carriage ride through the park and a day at the MET when you're with a chick.  Then hit a restaurant on the upper west side in the 82nd/columbus neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Grab a "W" train and ride it all the way to the end and get yourself a Nathan's Hotdog.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Grab a "W" train and ride it all the way to the end and get yourself a Nathan's Hotdog.

I hear that Bed Sty is nice this time of the year also!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
There is nothing like taking a walk across 125th Street, if you want to try your luck go down one or 2 blocks and go across 124th or 123rd, when and if you make it back home safe, you will have a story to tell your grandkids.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]
... I've been reluctant to venture north of the Park, I think I would be getting into pretty dark territory there.

... Besides, I had to leave my concealable Glock at home for legal reasons.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
You should go see Live: With Regis and Kelly
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... I've been reluctant to venture north of the Park, I think I would be getting into pretty dark territory there.

Don't fear 125th Street.
Try M&Gs Soul Food.
It's on 125th, on the westside.
Great fried chicken.  Fantastic breakfast.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree regarding Harlem, its much safer than parts of Northern Brooklyn, which is much worse than the South Bronx.  (My office does background investigations all over NYC and the island and we must travel solo and unarmed. The city is much much safer now than when I started this job in the mid 80s!)
On a lighter note, if the Circle Line Cruise is still circlin' Manhattan, its where I have taken visitors from out of state.  You may be one of the few on the boat that speaks English, but so what!?  On a clear day, Empire State Building.
And don't discount one of the many bus tours either- even native NYers enjoy them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top