Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 4:13:22 AM EDT by Winston_Wolf]
... I spend a bit of time in San Diego quite frequently, but seldom have (or make) time to do anything cool. This weekend my European g/f will be joining me and she's never been there.

... So what/where are some fun things/places to see/do in and around town if you only have two nights there? Daytime we'll be doing pretty much the "tourist stuff" (Mission Bay, Balboa Park, etc.).

... Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:14 AM EDT
If your timing is right seeing a Shakespeare play in the Old Globe Theatre in Balboa Park is a hell of a lot of fun. Little cool this time of year to have a dinner al fresco on the lawn but this is San Diego.

Unfortunately it's been way too many years since Ma and I lived there, and almost all of our visits in the last 18 years included one or more of the kids so my recommendations on the night life scene are dated. But I hear that the Old San Diego District around Horton Plaza has a lot going for it now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:50:09 AM EDT
She would probably enjoy Coronado--or perhaps La Jollla. Both have beautiful beaches, plenty of (dare I say) shopping, and enough interesting stores/shops/galleries to keep everyone interested.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:53:10 AM EDT
Oh great, another Zonie in San Diego.

For nighttime fun, the Gaslamp area is typically the hot spot. Lots of clubs and restaurants. Mainly on 5th st, but also 4th and 6th. I went to a couple shows at the new House of Blues last week, great venue if someone is playing that you like. You should also check out Prospect Street in La Jolla. One of the richest areas in the country. Lots of shops for her to spend your money. Pacific Beach has a big nightclub scene, but its mainly the college kid/frat boy thing.
I haven't really made a plan for this weekend, so I don't know if anything interesting is going on at night. Check out SD Reader for events. You should also try to make it to Mt. Soledad or Pt. Loma during the day if you can. We've had some great weather the last few days, the views should be incredible. Have fun and spend lots of money to help out our broke-ass city.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:20:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:02:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Lots of strip clubs near Midway and Rosecrans ... or at least there were back when Service School Command and the Navy Boot Camp were there.

They are still there. The Body Shop, Les Girls, and Pacers.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:54:49 PM EDT
If it's the weekend head to Palomar Mountain and watch the squids on their bikes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:12 PM EDT
... Thank you all. We really did have the loveliest weekend ever! I do love SoCal.

... The surf was exceptionally high the past few days - we loved it. Mama just got home and I’m stuck here for a few more days (unless I can pull some serious rabbits out of my hat). My supplier here is in big trouble and it jeopardizes the delivery of our AH64 Longbow DD250's for the near term.

... I do feel better though, our crew kicked-ass and everyone involved jumped on board to support. Said supplier finally realized that threatening the delivery of military aircraft to our fighting men & women is no cavalier situation.

... Other than the politics here, I really do love the place – I would consider living here if they bought me a house and paid the salary I’d command!
Top Top